Please delete my account

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you want “toxic” try starting an “oil” thread on a motorcycle forum. Then relax, crack open a beer, and enjoy the mayhem.
Lol! So true....

BTW, this thread is evidence of his wanting to promote drama... he started it less than an hour after he sent his request to site support. I usually check support@ScubaBoard.com first thing in the am and won't babysit it all day. I find it harder and harder to generate any sympathy for the situation. I guess I am fresh out of craps to give here.

Hi Pete,

Simple Dreams, what a nice album from 30 years ago. I 'm also fond of the other Warren Zevon composition on the album, Carmelita. Thanks for the memory jog.

Now back to the previously programmed drama...

We miss the contributions of the member formerly known as AWAP
I miss him too. I wish we had never acceded to his request.

I wish someone offended me!

I wish someone offended me!
Is anyone else thinking of the French knight in Monty Python’s Holy Grail?

Dude! You guys! You're not supposed to say his name anymore!

"Delete your content" isn't really a working answer, since it doesn't appear that I can remove items (older than 24 hours?) from threads that I didn't originate. If this is incorrect, please enlighten me.

You're right. As a user you can't do that. If you have made a post along the way -- and this applies to everyone -- that you regret because it reveals privacy sensitive information or information that you believe could make you traceable in the real world against your wishes then that is a privacy issue. We usually delete individual posts without much, if any, debate if we believe the user reported their own post for privacy reasons.

Deleting an entire account is problematic because just deleting the user will orphan the posts in the database. There is a function that allows us to delete a user and all of their posts but you will be flagged as a "spammer" on a spam watchdog list if we use it on you, which could make it difficult for you to create an account on other social media platforms in the future. This is obviously something we don't want to do. Moreover, even using the spam function will not delete other user's responses to things you wrote so totally "scrubbing" a user and making it look like they were never there is not something we could do even if we wanted to. This forum software quite simply has no tool that allows us to do that.

As such we usually ask people to just stop posting. In some cases they take a break and whatever (or whoever) was getting on their nerves changes and quite a few start to participate again. We don't feel that closing that door is usually in the user's best interest when they decide to take a break (even a permanent one).

I personally would be interested in what you're seeing as "toxic". Is that related to certain issues or certain forums, or certain other users? It would be helpful to us to get some specific input about that. As you can well imagine moderating a site with over 200,000 users isn't an easy balancing act. Some will always find moderators too meddlesome and others will always find moderators too passive.... and of course everything in between. If we are developing a blind spot for certain kinds of "toxic" behaviour then it would be helpful if you could report those posts or let us know, using concrete examples, what you see happening.

R..

Back
Top Bottom