Scammed on Scuba Board

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm open to suggestions for combating scammers and abuse.

Several scams included hijacked SB accounts. 2FA is an effective way to counter hijacking, but using an authenticator app is apparently still a hurdle for many.

Until now, all scammers used VPN connections, without exception. If you want to sell your gear, why would you hide your real location? Anonymity and selling - do they go hand in hand?

Blocking the marketplace forums from VPNs is technically possible, although not easy to implement. An SB-wide VPN block is easier. And a discussion point....

There's honestly not much you can do. In my case, I was the one that talked to the guy on PM's, and took it off board.
I feel like this is a decent board, and that many on here want to be a community and help others. (and, I really really like a deal lol) So, I was briefly lulled into not watching the signs. (used visor and abv for $100 USD... I bit)

Guess if the board has the functionality, you could restrict PM capabilities until they have like ten posts. Plenty of room to see if someone tosses 10 shitposts in one day in a bid to try and poach a bunch of older, unsuspecting board members that way.

I've modded other places; it's a labor of love, and it would be very taxing to monitor new accounts to see if they come and read first, or start blasting the first day . Maybe hide the buy/sell subforums to nonregistered people, and make it a little more work for driveby criminals?

Guess if the board has the functionality, you could restrict PM capabilities until they have like ten posts.
We do, exactly that
Plenty of room to see if someone tosses 10 shitposts in one day in a bid to try and poach a bunch of older, unsuspecting board members that way.
I do, whenever I see someone posting from a dead account or posting enough crap posts so they can DM.

I'm open to suggestions for combating scammers and abuse.

An SB-wide VPN block is easier. And a discussion point....
And so I'll just quit using it, and donating my money. Like I have everything else that has banned VPNs. If you don't care, I don't care.

Don't make your problems my problems.

And so I'll just quit using it, and donating my money. Like I have everything else that has banned VPNs. If you don't care, I don't care.

So far that’s one….

You forgot to turn on your VPN before posting this....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom