Photo Gallery Issues...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2,000 Kb is 2Mb... or close enough there are 1024 kilobytes in 1 megabyte....
Yes, I know that. The reason I asked is that we have had occasions in the past when the Gallery instructions said 4000k when it was really 4 Mb, altho the two quantities are not at all "close enough" really when dealing with limits. For safety, one could just use the smaller of the two, but it'd be nice to have accurate info.
It was a 2.78kb jpeg
OMG, was that a pic or a dot? I don't know if minimum requirements, but that would be a tiny pic.

OMG, was that a pic or a dot? I don't know if minimum requirements, but that would be a tiny pic.

Well I did say one small picture :D. It was about an inch square. Not what you would expect to have a problem with.

but no experts seem interested in butting in here so I'll continue. :eyebrow:

Thanks, I'd rather get help at this point I think from an experienced non professional. Often the "professionals" speak a different language than us novices.

Odd. What I like best about Sealife is their customer support. I don't remember the tech guy's name but he has been wonderful with me at times over the years...
650 mAh batteries sucked! He replaced them with 750s free;

Dropped my naked camera in a rinse bucket once. Replaced it for $35.

Needed to rework an old DC300 type strobe to fit a DC500 we got cheap for my buddy as he wasted my old DC300. He reworked it like new for nothing.​

I haven't tried sending the rig back again yet. That is my fault, but when the "fix" last time only worked on land I got disgusted. The camera works 'ok' on flash only if I work close. getting the setup back to Sealife is on my list of 'to do's' (long list).

Again, you're probly viewing on a real computer with larger screen, better quality, as well as younger eyes.

Desk top moniter, sadly not younger eyes though, and after 35 years doing close up repair work these eyes need a lot of help!

Hehe, okay here is what I wanted to show you on Adobe Elements.
1: Shoot some 2+ Mb pics with your DC500, load onto it, under Edit - Select All, under File - select Attach to email.

2: On this box, select Individual attachments, Big, then lastly Customize...
jhr2u8.jpg

3: On the next box, set your email provider, then slide Quality over to Maximum, then click OK...
mkdhqv.jpg

4: That takes you back to the previous box, so click Ok again;

5: Attached to the email draft, you should see your 2+Mb pics reduced to 1024x768 @ less than 1 Mb each. If you don't want to bulk reduce your pics to 1024x768 @ 100-200 Kb range, then maybe you'll like the under 1 Mb pics for handling, storage, etc.​
You can still save your favorite pics at full resolution elsewhere, for possible print & framing, but this is a tool you may like for resizing before loading with V-boards out-of-date standards of 2 Mb max per pic. I used to know how to download from that step without emailing; can't remember at the moment, but - you can eamil to yourself, download from there - and let me know if you stumble across how to resize without emailing.

Elements appears to allow a bit more options than "3.2 Starter". Only option available on my "preferrences" window for "send e-mail using..." is Outlook Express. Repairing my Outlook just got moved up to the top of that long list I mentioned! Been years since I used Outlook but I started working on repairs to my account last night, because I'll need it to do the suggested work on PS 3.2.
Other than the failure of my Outlook every step above works as you said, and I expect I'll overcome the Outlook problem without too much delay.

You didn't know how to create Zips? Okaaaay. Hey, I learned how to Copy&Paste by someone here on SB telling me when I was overcoming my fear of computers, but this site is a good one for info: Microsoft Windows XP Tutorial or there are others.

Thanks, never found the time to "learn" much about computers. Just plunged in when I needed to use one, and pick up things by watching people who do know what they're doing, and trial and error (much error). I unzip folders all the time but have only zipped files to store old business files. Never thought of zipping files like photos, etc. I am thinking the my "Reef Fish of the Caribbean" program may be a really great candidate for that: it's by far the largest memory hog on both my desk top and my traveling laptop, and I only use it occasionally!

You're not loading to a test album are you? I don't see that Nudi anywhere on your 90 pics? When I clicked the thumbs, the first/largest one is 52.9 Kb. I don't think you want to reduce that low.

Made up a test using just one photo I had yet to play with. Hundreds I can play with, but most aren't very good for much more than learning on.

For getting more from the toys you already own, without buying new mini-camcorders, I do like the way it shoots vids - above and below water. One of my favorites is the second days of our Whale Shark chasing. Many try to still shoot them on the run but you can't really - as you're not allowed to use flash, the water is too murky for a full length shot of the 40 ft fish, they won't stop moving, but I was able to convey the feeling of what is was like to sit on the edge of a boat as the biggest shark in the world approached, dropping off in the water when the skipper yelled "Go!" finding the beast's mouth in the murky, swimming along as his pokadots change when he gains on me, getting slapped in the face with a 5 ft tall tail, great fun. :crafty:

Well this has been fun. Be back later...

Thanks again, you've given me a lot to work with and a lot more to learn, but yes this is fun.

Last edited:
I think I'll just follow along and learn. Been watching my uploads disappear. Sometimes re appear. Sometimes doubles, later. Had I much hair I'd have ripped it out by now. Dandy Don has been a lot of help, but obviously some of my troubles have not been just results of my incompitence, but related to problems loading to the site.

Thanks, never found the time to "learn" much about computers. Just plunged in when I needed to use one, and pick up things by watching people who do know what they're doing, and trial and error (much error). I unzip folders all the time but have only zipped files to store old business files. Never thought of zipping files like photos, etc. I am thinking the my "Reef Fish of the Caribbean" program may be a really great candidate for that: it's by far the largest memory hog on both my desk top and my traveling laptop, and I only use it occasionally!
I was afraid of them until I got involved in Scuba Board and downloading digital pics, then had to get in. I rarely compress folders to zip files, and maybe I learned that first on Gallery; not sure, but maybe so - so sorry about my laughing there.

The only times I have zipped files were for certain email applications and for Gallery. I don't think that would help with a program, or file? I am familiar with the book; is that an actual program or a document folder? How big? It could be moved to a Flash Drive or Pen Drive. Zipping it would accomplish little plus you'd have to extract it to use it.

Am at work so can't look up file size for "Reef Fish..", but it's a huge, interactive program. The flash drive is a great idea if it will fit, which I'm sure there are drives more than big enough. Hadn't thought of that, but it would be big help; my 15 yr old son carries several programs between his school, his Mom's and computers here at my place. Would free up a lot of space on that old laptop, for sure.

I had to laugh at your earlier comment on the Marlin and dead batteries. I try to shut off the camera these days when it gets a bit low, to avoid missing that 'once in a lifetime shot'. (having the full battery seems to keep those once only shots from occuring at all though!)
My worst memory of the lost shot was the first time I got a chance to shoot a Seahorse, right at the beginning of the frist dive of 2 tank boat dive. It wasn't until I had bouyancy perfect, just the right lighting and angle, and realized I was looking at that horse threw an empty UW case: the camera was still attached to the laptop back in the room.

Am at work so can't look up file size for "Reef Fish..", but it's a huge, interactive program. The flash drive is a great idea if it will fit, which I'm sure there are drives more than big enough. Hadn't thought of that, but it would be big help; my 15 yr old son carries several programs between his school, his Mom's and computers here at my place. Would free up a lot of space on that old laptop, for sure.
Flash drives are available larger than my laptops original hard drives - up to 64 Gb anyway: USB Flash Drive, USB Pen Drive,USB Flash Thumb Drives,Jump Drives

I replaced the HDs in both laptops. Easy to do myself with tiny screwdriver and illustrated instructions from manufactures web site. I never trust a computer to store documents tho. Computers are for processing but all fail and lose docs; back up weekly to External Hard Drive.
I had to laugh at your earlier comment on the Marlin and dead batteries. I try to shut off the camera these days when it gets a bit low, to avoid missing that 'once in a lifetime shot'. (having the full battery seems to keep those once only shots from occuring at all though!)
My worst memory of the lost shot was the first time I got a chance to shoot a Seahorse, right at the beginning of the frist dive of 2 tank boat dive. It wasn't until I had bouyancy perfect, just the right lighting and angle, and realized I was looking at that horse threw an empty UW case: the camera was still attached to the laptop back in the room.
lolROFL6.gif
Did that mess up your buoyancy...? :silly:

OMG you been waiting for a month, or did you figure it out...??
There was nothing to figure out. It just wouldn't work and was a complete waste of time. With several more tries at a later date I uploaded several photos but I probably won't go through that hassle again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom