Photo Gallery Issues...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What size are the largest pics? Today's cameras are shooting huge ones. Perhaps some were too large for the limits of the system?

Are you photoshopping your pics? On what program? Does it have a resize feature?

Ok, I looked at some of your pics. Very nice!! I suspect you're shooting a large MP camera, yielding some large file pics. I see that your pics are a wide range of dimensions and wonder what you are doing to size them?

As I said, I have not uploaded in a year. In checking the limits, I see that that 10 Mb Zips can be loaded now, cool. But I see that the Maximum File Size is 2000 Kb, which may actually mean 2 Mb, or may really mean 2,000 Kb - but I have a hunch that some of your pics are larger than that?

Ok, I looked at some of your pics. Very nice!! I suspect you're shooting a large MP camera, yielding some large file pics. I see that your pics are a wide range of dimensions and wonder what you are doing to size them?

As I said, I have not uploaded in a year. In checking the limits, I see that that 10 Mb Zips can be loaded now, cool. But I see that the Maximum File Size is 2000 Kb, which may actually mean 2 Mb, or may really mean 2,000 Kb - but I have a hunch that some of your pics are larger than that?

Thanks. I'll have to check the file sizes : unaltered they are running @1.2 mb each, and after some work they are running 40% to 50% of that file size.
I am only using a SeaLife Dc500, 5mp, and using Kodak Easyshare software to adjust and crop the pictures. The earliest ones from Belize and Culebra were taken with a DC100, 1 or 2mp camera, and they were simply cropped by going to "properties" and resizing them so they would load.

As I indicated I am really just a rank amateur, playing around some and learning as I go, and have not invested in real photo editing software, or any digital photo training yet. Thanks again Don for all your help.

Very nice shooting for a DC500. It's best to shoot 1,000 pics and pick out 100 you like, and maybe you use that approach; I am bad about showing 800 of 1,000.

Yeah, I remember my DC100; got some interesting shots from it. "...simply cropped by going to "properties" and resizing them so they would load" would explain the wild variances in dimensions in your 5 mp pics. If you are downsizing to less than 2000 Kb tho, they should load ok.

I just shot a fast test shot of my wine rack from my DC500 here and it downloaded at 2.36 Mb. I was thinking that DC500 pics usually did download larger than 1.2 Mb. Reef pics were running around 4 Mb I think? This is kinda off topic, from one fumbling amateur to another, but - check your folder. Do you know how to tell what size a pic is in Kb, or are you still postponing buying and reading a Windows Beginner book at the bookstore? Hehe, I have seen many such books, in my daughter's home, etc - usually in like new, unread condition. :D

I don't have any un-reduced pics to play with at the moment as I generally re-size them with the Microsoft Image Sizer before storing, as they're easier to handle, move, mail, etc, take up less room on my documents (I think I have 20,000 pics I copy to my external hard drive weekly as safety backup, none of which I want to lose in a puter crash), but look about as good on full screen slide show @ 1024x768.

In case you're not sure what I mean, if you open your folder then select Details on the icon at top, you get a list of all the pics and their sizes.

Click this thumbnail for larger view: SH-03.jpg

Or on any choice from the icon at the top, you can hover your cursor over a pic to get its info. Hehe you may not have realized all that was hidden in a pic..?

SH-04.jpg
So, are the ones you failed to load under 2000 Kb or not...? Kinda need to know that answer before we wander off here...??

OMG you been waiting for a month, or did you figure it out...??

Don, thank you again for spending so much time helping a complete novice and stranger.

No none of my photos seems to be larger than @1,250-1,300mb. I just checked the sizes on my photos as you suggested last night. By changing my files to 'list' as you said I see that my original pics are downloading and storing on my computer at @1,250kb(+ or -) each (hence the 1.20mb figure I saw scrolling over them), and those I have been cropping and adjusting using the Kodak Easyshare software are running @800kb. (High in the 900kb's and low in the 300 to 500kb's.)

The setting I am using on my DC500 is the "fine" or two star setting, the middle of the three quality choices available. That is why my pics download at @1.20mb, while your same camera is downloading at @2.36mb. Same camera, but smaller file setting, because I just hate seeing that "memory card full" screen in the middle of a dive!

You are right, I shot probably at least 800 to 900 pictures in Boanire 3 weeks ago and only saved @450 of those, and as I sort threw the collection will get down to maybe 25 to 30 that are actually worth saving and cleaning up. (still hard for me to dump all the marginal ones tho!)

Last evening I was trying to just upload 4 or 5 of the smaller (@800kb) photos at a time to SB, which did seem to help my upload at first, but suddenly all the photos that never loaded last Wed morning and evening reappeared and began mixing into my upload, resulting in many doubles. :shocked2:

Tried all last evening to sort threw this new mess! Found all new kinds of things I can't do:D, like delete doubles, change just one copy of a pic on the SB site, without altering it's double too. Lots of fun finding all the things that I am not able to do, that seem like they should be so easy!

I Quit and went to bed at 11:30, deciding to give it a rest for a day or two, before I try again. Maybe after I stop wanting to punch out the moniter, and have read threw your suggestions again, I'll be in a better frame of mind to start over. The funny thing is, after all this struggle it is so satisfying to see one of my pictures on the site and get an occasional comment. Then it's suddenly all worth the struggles. Jim

Don, thank you again for spending so much time helping a complete novice and stranger.
My pleasure. I enjoy the challenge, unless someone more qualified wants to get involved - then I'll step back, read, learn.

No none of my photos seems to be larger than @1,250-1,300mb. I just checked the sizes on my photos as you suggested last night. By changing my files to 'list' as you said I see that my original pics are downloading and storing on my computer at @1,250kb(+ or -) each (hence the 1.20mb figure I saw scrolling over them), and those I have been cropping and adjusting using the Kodak Easyshare software are running @800kb. (High in the 900kb's and low in the 300 to 500kb's.)

The setting I am using on my DC500 is the "fine" or two star setting, the middle of the three quality choices available. That is why my pics download at @1.20mb, while your same camera is downloading at @2.36mb. Same camera, but smaller file setting, because I just hate seeing that "memory card full" screen in the middle of a dive!
I see now. You bought a 5 mp camera so you can shoot 3 mp pics. :silly: Well, not actually, but I always like to shoot in the highest quality and largest dimensions possible before editing.

You seem to be in need of additional and larger cards. It will not accept a SDHC card (4 Gb and up) but 1 & 2 Gb cards are so cheap now and it will accept those. Sealife used to suggest no larger than 512 Mb (1/2 Gb), but have changed their advisories. I think Joe said the other day that the larger cards only slow the camera down as they start to get full, but you have to let the Strobe recharge anyway so I don't see any problem in using the 2 Gb cards - especially not if you download daily like I do on trips and never use more than 1 Gb anyway.

Get new cards cheap...
1 Gb card for $4.50 1GB Secure Digital Memory Cards

2 Gb card for $5.50 2GB Secure Digital Memory Cards

No tax, free shipping​

You are right, I shot probably at least 800 to 900 pictures in Boanire 3 weeks ago and only saved @450 of those, and as I sort threw the collection will get down to maybe 25 to 30 that are actually worth saving and cleaning up. (still hard for me to dump all the marginal ones tho!)
Haha, I load too many.

Last evening I was trying to just upload 4 or 5 of the smaller (@800kb) photos at a time to SB, which did seem to help my upload at first, but suddenly all the photos that never loaded last Wed morning and evening reappeared and began mixing into my upload, resulting in many doubles. :shocked2:
I know. I hate SB Gallery, but it's the best we can get on V-board programs. I don't really have as many pics as it says I have loaded. I have learned to load to albums only, then delete the whole album and start over - except that does not reduce the pic count on my posts. Duh.

Tried all last evening to sort threw this new mess! Found all new kinds of things I can't do:D, like delete doubles, change just one copy of a pic on the SB site, without altering it's double too. Lots of fun finding all the things that I am not able to do, that seem like they should be so easy!

I Quit and went to bed at 11:30, deciding to give it a rest for a day or two, before I try again. Maybe after I stop wanting to punch out the moniter, and have read threw your suggestions again, I'll be in a better frame of mind to start over. The funny thing is, after all this struggle it is so satisfying to see one of my pictures on the site and get an occasional comment. Then it's suddenly all worth the struggles. Jim

Here are a few tricks I want you to try, when you feel like it. No rush. I'll watch the thread for when you report back....

1: Load with Zip files only, so we'll be on the same page here. I'll load a new album this weekend and see what I experience.

2: Add this free program to your computer: Adobe - Adobe Photoshop Album Starter Edition 3.2 Play with it for editing on a copied folder of some unedited pics, get to know it a bit. Auto-smart-fix doesn't seem as good as manual Fix-photo-window for dive pics. When you open the latter, expand the window full size, try one option at a time, undo, etc. see how you like the results.

We'll talk next time about how to use it to resize pics to the 1024x768 in under 1 Mb.

3: Add this program: Resize digital pictures quickly and practice resizing copied folders of pics to the 1024x768 in the 100-200 Kb range.

4: Rename a copy on one of your under 2 mb pics, the same pic in the 1024x768 in under 1 Mb from above, and the same pic in 1024x768 in the 100-200 Kb range (call them Large, Medium, Smaller). Then zip those three and add to a new album named Testing. Post the link here, and let's look at the differences.​
I started reducing my pics to avoid filling up my quota here and my hard drive both, but found that on computer screen slide shows - a 4 Mb pic and a 200 Kb pic look about the same. Now I only save the 4 Mb pics when I think I might want to print it.

Try those exercises, and let's compare notes, ok...?

I'll try to do the same exercise with a test pic in an hour or so if you're around...?

Last edited:
Well, hell - we have failure...!

I tried the same exercise, shooting a pic your way at under 2 Mb, then making copies under 1 mb and at 117 Kb, then loading the zip file of three to a new Test album. It went okay until I hit Process, and I got this...
Error creating thumbnail! Error code: 1

Command:

"/usr/bin/mogrify" +profile "*" -size 0x95 -quality 80 -geometry 0x95 '/home/zephyr/public_html/gallery/data/3837/thumbs/2-14_test_Large.JPG'

That is just wrong...!!

Well, I'll deal with that failure later...

Again, I tried the same exercise, shooting a pic your way at under 2 Mb, then making copies under 1 mb and at 117 Kb, then loading the zip file of three to a new Test album. I then successfully loaded them one by one - which pisses me as zips are easier to load.

Now go here and compare the three pics and I think you'll see why I use Image Sizer to recuded to 100-200 kb: http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/3837

Well, hell - we have failure...!

I tried the same exercise, shooting a pic your way at under 2 Mb, then making copies under 1 mb and at 117 Kb, then loading the zip file of three to a new Test album. It went okay until I hit Process, and I got this...

That is just wrong...!!
Boy, do I know that error code by heart.

Well, I'll deal with that failure later...

Again, I tried the same exercise, shooting a pic your way at under 2 Mb, then making copies under 1 mb and at 117 Kb, then loading the zip file of three to a new Test album. I then successfully loaded them one by one - which pisses me as zips are easier to load.

Now go here and compare the three pics and I think you'll see why I use Image Sizer to recuded to 100-200 kb: http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/3837

Until I expand them to full size there is no noticeable difference in the three sizes. Nice.

DandyDon:
My pleasure. I enjoy the challenge, unless someone more qualified wants to get involved - then I'll step back, read, learn.

I see now. You bought a 5 mp camera so you can shoot 3 mp pics. :silly: Well, not actually, but I always like to shoot in the highest quality and largest dimensions possible before editing.

You seem to be in need of additional and larger cards. It will not accept a SDHC card (4 Gb and up) but 1 & 2 Gb cards are so cheap now and it will accept those. Sealife used to suggest no larger than 512 Mb (1/2 Gb), but have changed their advisories. I think Joe said the other day that the larger cards only slow the camera down as they start to get full, but you have to let the Strobe recharge anyway so I don't see any problem in using the 2 Gb cards - especially not if you download daily like I do on trips and never use more than 1 Gb anyway.

Get new cards cheap...
1 Gb card for $4.50 1GB Secure Digital Memory Cards

2 Gb card for $5.50 2GB Secure Digital Memory Cards

I have upgraded to the 1mp card, even though the camera instructions said not too, but in Bonaire where I can easily do 4 to 5 tanks before I return to the laptop, even a 1mp card can fill fast at high quality. Since I am really just learning and most of my photos wouldn't really be worth printing at this time I began shooting on the second quality level. Battery life becomes my limiting factor most days (and nights).

DandyDon:
I know. I hate SB Gallery, but it's the best we can get on V-board programs. I don't really have as many pics as it says I have loaded. I have learned to load to albums only, then delete the whole album and start over - except that does not reduce the pic count on my posts. Duh.

Here are a few tricks I want you to try, when you feel like it. No rush. I'll watch the thread for when you report back....

1: Load with Zip files only, so we'll be on the same page here. I'll load a new album this weekend and see what I experience.
Have not tried zipping photos. something new to try.
2: Add this free program to your computer: Adobe - Adobe Photoshop Album Starter Edition 3.2 Play with it for editing on a copied folder of some unedited pics, get to know it a bit. Auto-smart-fix doesn't seem as good as manual Fix-photo-window for dive pics. When you open the latter, expand the window full size, try one option at a time, undo, etc. see how you like the results.

We'll talk next time about how to use it to resize pics to the 1024x768 in under 1 Mb.​

I have Adobe Photoshop 2.0Starter, which I had yet to try , but tonight I'll upgrade that program and start playing with it over the next few days. Reading threw the profiole on it just now really quickly it appears similar the the Kodak program I've been experimenting with so shifting to it shouldn't kill me.

3: Add this program: Resize digital pictures quickly and practice resizing copied folders of pics to the 1024x768 in the 100-200 Kb range.

Thanks, am doing that this evening too. Looks pretty simple to use, and should prove very helpful.

4: Rename a copy on one of your under 2 mb pics, the same pic in the 1024x768 in under 1 Mb from above, and the same pic in 1024x768 in the 100-200 Kb range (call them Large, Medium, Smaller). Then zip those three and add to a new album named Testing. Post the link here, and let's look at the differences.
I started reducing my pics to avoid filling up my quota here and my hard drive both, but found that on computer screen slide shows - a 4 Mb pic and a 200 Kb pic look about the same. Now I only save the 4 Mb pics when I think I might want to print it.

Try those exercises, and let's compare notes, ok...?

I'll try to do the same exercise with a test pic in an hour or so if you're around...?

Thanks again. I'll get the updates and downloads done and get back later. May not get a chance to play very much this evening, but you've given me a ton of suggestions and ideas I need to absorb and play with.​

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom