Peso Exchange Rates and the Taxi Mafia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can't answer for ggunn, but I think what he is saying is, while it might not necessarily be a 'law', its their country, their way of doing business, ggun will respect a lot of this out of respect of being a guest in their country and their culture.
Actually, you answered for me rather well.

I visit the island often and always rent a car. My very good friend lives on the island and owns a business. Many times I stay at her house. She picks me up at the airport with no problem, we go out to dinner and some nights she drives. She has also dropped me off and picked me up at Puerto Abrigo and Caleta in her car. We have never had an issue with taxi drivers giving her a hard time for carting me around. I hear the stories but never in 15 years have had a bad experience

But it is the dive shop owners country too. Clearly it isn't THEIR way of doing business to force tourists into taxis instead of shop or private vehicles. Why do taxi drivers get to dictate the way of doing business?
It is what it is. It's not that big a deal to me to take a taxi and it's not my place (or desire - see my earlier remark about choosing one's battles) to buck the system. I suspect that the dive ops don't really care all that much, either.

People everywhere do what they can to protect a revenue stream that is dear to them. Some of their methods are legal and some are moral, and the two are not necessarily congruent (them with the gold writes the rules). At least with these guys that cash flow is going to feed their families. I am not going to get my knickers in a wad over a few bucks paid to a taxi that I could have saved by catching a ride.

The taxistas have every reason to continue to use 10:1 forever. The only thing that would make that change would be if the rate were to drop below 10:1, in which case you'd better believe they'll change immediately.
That happened once. I got into an argument with a driver giving 8:1! :mad: I book my plane, hotel, and dive op in USDs so I don't buy a lot of pesos - and I try to end the trip without any. I know, they save, but the one time I got stuck with a thousand pesos, the value changed against me! I should have deposited them in my bank at home.

The airport thing banning taxis and using Vans may not be to your liking, nor mine but it is very practical. Would you want the already crowded parking lot lined up with taxis? No, the current system, while not to be liked is still very practical IMHO.
They could do it. They do it at the cruise dock. At the airport, they have room to line up if they behave well. They make so much more off of the sardine vans tho.

How do you say "Uber" in Spanish?
"Nunca"

It seems odd to expect to pay for a taxi with any foreign currency (i.e. US dollars in this case). Just try to remember that WE are visiting THEIR country.
The Mexican government borrowed from the World Bank to develop Cancun island from a plantation with 3 inhabitants, and much more since then. Yeah, we are guests, but we are not intruders.

It seems odd to expect to pay for a taxi with any foreign currency (i.e. US dollars in this case). Just try to remember that WE are visiting THEIR country.

Despite what you might think about the current strength of the US dollar, most non-Americans aren't particularly interested in collecting non-native currency. I have visited a few countries with tightly controlled economies where there were active black markets in US dollars and other Western currencies, but that was quite a long time ago. I don't think Mexico is in that category, so save yourself some trouble and just use the ATM inside the Cozumel airport to get pesos. Problem solved. In general, ATMs (and credit cards) give the best rate you'll find (even allowing for the fee for using the ATM machine.)

The US dollar is a desirable currency in most countries, especially mexico, I don't think you'll find too many Mexicans turning it down. Consider their peso is worth less and less against the dollar. The US dollars they collect are worth more and more and buy more and more... one of the reasons why so many countries want to park their money in US dollars by buying our debt, because it's a better investment than their own countries money. With the peso worth less and less being an American your dollars are buying more giving you a discount on everything you spend them on travelling outside the country, the best way to maximize this is by exchanging your dollars into the local currency. That 80 peso taxi ride a couple of years ago that you're still paying 80 peso for today is actually costing you only 50 pesos today -if you exchange your US currency at a fair rate and pay in pesos. Unless the locals raise rates on everything dramatically, you're getting about a 40% discount on everything you are buying because your US dollars value is rising at a way higher rate than their inflation. International travel is pretty much at a big discount for any Americans right now.

Comparing Cozumel taxi drivers to the mafia is ludicrous.

Of course it is. When the taxis do it, it is mostly legal!

A DM can't even give a tourist friend a ride without getting paid.

Is it an actual ordinance that locals cannot give rides to tourists?

I think the actual rule is you can't work as paid transport. If you are paying your DM and he gives you a ride, is that part of the paid service? Bit of a gray area. You can say no the ride was free, but really was it? The taxis stopped a tour bus from DF I think that came over on the car ferry as part of a bus tour through Mexico and made them get in cabs as I recall.

Friend of mine dove with a small one man op who picked them up. He was always dodge cabs and dropping off close but not AT the hotel. Playing the game.

We are seldom in taxis, but honestly, my experience has been good. Once we had a guy quote an unreasonable rate and slam his doors driving off in a huff when we would not accept the price.

Taxi driver is one of the few pathways, I am told, to a solid middle class income, so they are pretty protective of it. (So like the mafia, without the booze, broads or tommy guns....)

Taxi driver is one of the few pathways, I am told, to a solid middle class income, so they are pretty protective of it. (So like the mafia, without the booze, broads or tommy guns....)
That's an important distinction, doncha think? :D

When we need money we go to Mega (usually) and withdraw pesos using a U.S. bank card. I get the pesos here and my bank, based on the last transaction, deducted Dollars at a rate of 16.1 to 1.

Pay in pesos or make sure they charge your credit card in pesos.

The taxi's... We have a car.

Despite what you might think about the current strength of the US dollar, most non-Americans aren't particularly interested in collecting non-native currency.
In general I agree however, an entropenour working in a cash business interacting with foreigners that may not have the local currency have been known to work the exchange rate for a better "tip". They are not collecting non-native currency, they are running a lucrative side business of money changing.

I've seen it enough, over the years, in various places that I make sure I have some "local" cash before I leave home. I'm not outraged about the practice, I just side step it.

Bob

Back
Top Bottom