Exchanging Money in Hurghada

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

also_anon_dc

Contributor
Reaction score
Last time I went on a liveaboard departing from Hurghada I stayed at the Marriott for a few days before and after the trip. I got Egyptian Pounds at an ATM but had a really really hard time finding small bills. Usually when I travel the hotel will break larger bills for me but the Marriott would not do that.

I want to tip as much as possible (in 10LE or 20LE notes) but I have no idea how to get smaller bills. I'm reading that there is a currency exchange at the Hurghada airport but my flight lands at 1am- does anyone know if it will be open? Is there a bank near the Marriott where I can exchange USD for Egyptian Pounds in 10LE and 20LE notes? I'm just curious what others do since the ATM gives out mostly 100LE or 200LE notes which I'm reading are extravagant tips.

I tried going to my bank but they can't get Egyptian Pounds and it looks like the currency exchanges at Dulles airport and in downtown DC also don't have Egyptian Pounds.

Why not tip in USD, singles?
That's an option and I'm bringing $1s but the recommended tip amounts of 10LE and 20LE are about 30cents and 60cents respectively so I feel like $1 is a big tip. Not that the extra money really matters that much to me but I'd like to tip in local currency because it seems like less of a hassle for the people I'm giving the money to (who I assume have to exchange it and pay a fee).

That's an option and I'm bringing $1s but the recommended tip amounts of 10LE and 20LE are about 30cents and 60cents respectively so I feel like $1 is a big tip. Not that the extra money really matters that much to me but I'd like to tip in local currency because it seems like less of a hassle for the people I'm giving the money to (who I assume have to exchange it and pay a fee).
I take $100 in singles and use them for tips. They bend over backwards and take care of me there.

those guides are outdated and based on the old exchange rate. prices have gone up in USD/euro terms (inflation hitting everywhere), so a 10EGP tip then would have been roughly a dollar.

The airport exchange gives worse rates, so only exchange enough for your cab fare to get into town. then ask the local dive center which currency exchange is most honest. i think the free float spread is not an issue anymore, but when I was there, there was nearly a 20% difference between the visa exchange rate and the street rate that it was a much better option to use exchanged cash instead of visa.

One US$ is about 31 LE at the moment, so a tip of 100 or 200 LE or $5 isn't unreasonable for a week long liveaboard trip. In Egypt a lot of them are supporting their elderly parents as well, and currently Egypt is going through an inflation crisis which has seen the price of everyday foods and goods rise dramatically so every little bit helps.

One US$ is about 31 LE at the moment, so a tip of 100 or 200 LE or $5 isn't unreasonable for a week long liveaboard trip. In
Oh I meant 100-200LE seemed like too much for tips for people like hotel staff or waiters bringing me a drink or something. I intend to tip above and beyond the amount recommended by the liveaboard company for that portion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom