Question Perdix Shearwater AI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just Jane

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have this model - far too advanced for me, but I can read the display clearly underwater - HA! It's embarrassing to pull out this high tech computer when I am a simple AOW recreational diver. It's familiar and I can easily use the basic functions I need, which is why I hesitate to replace it. Looking to possibly sell it and get a simpler more equally matched air integrated computer. Thoughts?

I would not give up my Perdix for anything. However, if you wish to have a more watch style computer you might consider a Teric. Shearwater customer service is amazing.

I have this model - far too advanced for me, but I can read the display clearly underwater - HA! It's embarrassing to pull out this high tech computer when I am a simple AOW recreational diver. It's familiar and I can easily use the basic functions I need, which is why I hesitate to replace it. Looking to possibly sell it and get a simpler more equally matched air integrated computer. Thoughts?

I had a Perdix AI for several years before I went tech. Use the recreational Nitrox mode. That’s what I did.

Do you want to go back to a computer with a display you can’t see? Don’t be silly! Keep the danged computer. It’s so much simpler to operate than many of the “recreational” computers. You also can also easily replace the battery anywhere in the world. Try that with other computers.

Embarrassing to have a computer you can read? Who gives a flying fig?! If anyone says anything, tell them to go pound sand.

In what way is it “too advanced”? Do you have a specific question about it?

You can easily sell it, but you cannot easily find anything air-integrated that is easier to use or read or more reliable. Just keep diving; you'll grow into it. Just because it has features you'll never use doesn't mean it is the wrong computer for you, and the Recreational Mode is just fine. I'll bet you've never used all the features on your phone, or laptop, or automobile, or microwave oven, either.

Unless you need the money, I wouldn't sell it. You could get a cheaper wrist computer, but you often give up a lot.
You'd be giving up the easily readable screen, and exceptional UI for example.

Just not worth it, IMO.

In spite of what many say, there are quite a few perfectly safe and easy to read/use air integrated computers for less money than Shearwater Perdix. You will also hear about quite a few who’ve needed the great Shearwater service. Teric, for example, was reported in another thread to have over 50% of purchases needing to be mailed in for repair.

Once you filter out the fan club, other options will become apparent. I’ll not suggest any here because of the fan club, but they are there.

Best of luck and keep an open mind.

In spite of what many say, there are quite a few perfectly safe and easy to read/use air integrated computers for less money than Shearwater Perdix. You will also hear about quite a few who’ve needed the great Shearwater service. Teric, for example, was reported in another thread to have over 50% of purchases needing to be mailed in for repair.
Sure, but:

A. OP already has a Shearwater computer.
B. It’s a Perdix AI, which is not susceptible to the typical Teric failures, which tend to be battery related.

I am also a new-ish rec diver and recently decided to get an Aqualung i770R instead because it's quite a bit cheaper, and much less bulky (74x59x23mm vs Perdix at 81x71x38mm - that's less than half the volume). Yet it has the same 2.2" screen size, nice and big text with easy to use interface/buttons, same Bühlmann ZHL-16C algorithm as the Perdix (not something I really care about), and the same reliable PPS transmitter. The screen is REALLY nice and bright, and the interface really simple and intuitive. It has a built-in USB rechargeable battery with advertised 30 hours dive time per charge, vs Perdix's AA battery. Personally I prefer USB rechargeable so I don't have to worry about leaks every time I change the battery, but AA has the advantage that if you are prone to forgetting to charge your computer, you can buy a battery from any shop.

Basically for rec diving the only downside is it's not a Perdix. Reviews so far say it's reliable, but there's not as much data available. Most modern computer's reliability problem is with the transmitter anyways, and it uses the same MH8A transmitters as Perdix.

I almost bought a Perdix AI used for more than what I paid for the i770R new, and I'm really glad I got the i770R so far. To be honest, even at the same price I would probably still get the i770R since there's absolutely no way I'll go tech.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom