Question Perdix Shearwater AI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have this model - far too advanced for me, but I can read the display clearly underwater - HA! It's embarrassing to pull out this high tech computer when I am a simple AOW recreational diver. It's familiar and I can easily use the basic functions I need, which is why I hesitate to replace it. Looking to possibly sell it and get a simpler more equally matched air integrated computer. Thoughts?

Lots of divers love the Perdix AI including many recreational divers. I see many divers on dive boats here in Florida with a Perdix who clearly are not tech divers. No one cares! I also see lots of divers with a Teric or Garmin who are also clearly not tech divers. Again, no one cares! I see no reason to replace it just because it is "too much" computer. After all, it has a rec mode. That's all I ever run mine in these days.

I have this model - far too advanced for me, but I can read the display clearly underwater - HA! It's embarrassing to pull out this high tech computer when I am a simple AOW recreational diver. It's familiar and I can easily use the basic functions I need, which is why I hesitate to replace it. Looking to possibly sell it and get a simpler more equally matched air integrated computer. Thoughts?

I am a recreational diver. That for me also includes deco dives. Even for NDL dives I have my Perdix setup in Tec mode as I get more information and like to do gas planning even though for NDL dives most people never bother.
I bought it because I do not wear a watch and the screen is so easy to read especially in low vis and night dives. I've never felt out of place using it. Several of my recreational dive buddies use a Teric.

Keep your Perdix AI I say. You can always grow into it's advanced features.

I almost bought a Perdix AI used for more than what I paid for the i770R new, and I'm really glad I got the i770R so far. To be honest, even at the same price I would probably still get the i770R since there's absolutely no way I'll go tech.
Here in Canada, the i770R is about CAD70 cheaper new with transmitter, according to a quick check. Maybe the aqualung is discounted more. Or maybe @grassybreakfast is in a market where Shearwater's pricing is less competitive.

Here in Canada, the i770R is about CAD70 cheaper new with transmitter, according to a quick check. Maybe the aqualung is discounted more. Or maybe OP is in a market where Shearwater's pricing is less competitive.
Yeah I suspect it really depends on the market. Here in the UK, Perdix AI + Aqualung transmitter is about £1000 new (a bit more with Shearwater transmitter), and I got the i770R new with transmitter for about £600, though I think that's cheaper than usual. I see most other shops selling it for about £700 with transmitter.

It would make sense that the Perdix is cheaper in Canada, since Shearwater is based in Canada, so there's no import duty assuming they do their last significant manufacturing/assembly in Canada. Coincidentally, it seems like their headquarters is within walking distance from where I used to live in Richmond, BC.

same Bühlmann ZHL-16C algorithm as the Perdix
No, not quite. It uses an Oceanic/AquaLung model called PZ+, which is proprietary although based on Buhlmann, but details are not available. It has a Conservative setting, but it does not tell you what it is or how it works, unlike the Gradient Factor settings in the Shearwaters.
So it is a fine computer, most likely, so long as you don't need the superlative service that Shearwater offers, and you are happy with undescribed/unexplained decompression models and conservatism settings.

You already bought it and spent the money on it so keep it!! Why throw your hard earned dollars away by loosing money trying to sell it used at a lower cost.

That is one of the best computers on the market and there is a reason why it has "rec mode" for people just like you. Your not the only one. There is a huge market of people that want a big easy to read screen and simplicity of the Shearwater in rec mode.

Additionally the Shearwater platform is one of the simplest computers. Two buttons. That's it. Very intuitive menus. If you are diving in "rec mode" you really should not need to do anything. Strap the thing on and go dive. It auto turns on when you start the dive, auto switches to your safety stop and eventually will auto switch off when you surface. Does not get any more simple than that.

Lastly it's so simple uses and standard AA battery and regular DIN oring for the cap.

No, not quite. It uses an Oceanic/AquaLung model called PZ+, which is proprietary although based on Buhlmann, but details are not available. It has a Conservative setting, but it does not tell you what it is or how it works, unlike the Gradient Factor settings in the Shearwaters.
So it is a fine computer, most likely, so long as you don't need the superlative service that Shearwater offers, and you are happy with undescribed/unexplained decompression models and conservatism settings.

Both of these points are important to me and really should be to all divers. These points are why I've been a Shearwater customer for over a decade. There are other perfectly fine computers on the market, but IMO none of them can match Shearwater on these two points ... service and transparency. Time will tell whether that changes with the sale of Shearwater and the growth of other strong brands (Garmin, Deep6); but for now, Shearwater remains unrivaled IMO due to these two points.

These two points (amongst a few others) are also why I've not purchased a Suunto, AquaLung nor Oceanic computer in the last decade.

Thanks for the clarification. I did not do as much research into that. As you had probably guessed, as a recreational diver, that's pretty low on my priority list of things I care about, but obviously we all have different priorities.

Thanks for the clarification. I did not do as much research into that. As you had probably guessed, as a recreational diver, that's pretty low on my priority list of things I care about, but obviously we all have different priorities.
As a recreational diver you probably want as much bottom time as possible and as little required surface intervals as possible, while still "safe." Right?
Well, it is all a set of trade-offs. Your computer will not give you the longest NDLs nor the shortest SIs, but it is a lot better than some others, like Suunto.
Here is a comparison of some tables and computers, assuming air, for the NDL for the first dive of the day.
1647353256599.png

The PZ+ column best represents your computer, I think, with conservatism OFF.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom