Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

and you are completely wasting the gas vs. at least using some of it for breathing while surfacing....

Yes, because in real life the free flow is usually caused by the FIRST stage freezing up, so it causes both 2nd stages to free-flow.

That's what I was going to bring to light also. It is not the second stage that "freezes" up and causes the free flow, it is the first stage and therefore both second stage regs are affected..

Yes, because in real life the free flow is usually caused by the FIRST stage freezing up, so it causes both 2nd stages to free-flow.
Depends on your 1st. In my world, 2nd stage freeflows are par for the course when winter diving, particularly after surfacing. A little annoying, but not much more. Never experienced nor witnessed a 1st stage freeflow, but then you'd be hard pressed to find a regular set that wasn't cold-water compatible

Depends on your 1st. In my world, 2nd stage freeflows are par for the course when winter diving, particularly after surfacing. A little annoying, but not much more. Never experienced nor witnessed a 1st stage freeflow, but then you'd be hard pressed to find a regular set that wasn't cold-water compatible

Well you also dive with Santa, so there is that..

Well you also dive with Santa, so there is that..
"Dive with Santa"? Take another look at my avatar :D

I'm pretty certain the salt would put me off...
Time to look for fresh water :)

Anyone got a link to a "it is possible to blow your lungs" ? I'm also curious as to how a reg is supposed to be able to give more air than when it is fully opened using the purge button? :confused:

Time to look for fresh water :)

We have about 25000km of coastline, more than half the circumference of the Earth. Why would I go inland to dive in muddy, silty, dull lakes?

By all means, enjoy your salty slushy :wink:

tursiops, Sorry, wasn't thinking and was thinking of CESA for some reason. I do also agree with those saying don't breathe from the octo. Why risk it all of a sudden also to free flow if it hasn't already? If you're deep you also don't want to waste any air at all while ascending. If you're at like, 30', no point either in farting with the octo. -- just sip and go.

That's what I was going to bring to light also. It is not the second stage that "freezes" up and causes the free flow, it is the first stage and therefore both second stage regs are affected..

actually this is untrue.

I've seen many free flows in all kinds of conditions and all but 1 were 2nd stage.

about the sipping thing. Standards have been developed over many years. at the time the sipping tecnique was developed, 1st stage HP seats were like little pucks that fit inside a poppet. It was possible for it to become dislodged, which would allow tank pressure straight to the 2nd stage.

Such a free flow, if you have ever seen one, are very violent. A modern tank valve will flow at over 1000 litres per min. in that case, the free flow will blow the reg right out of your mouth and you won't be putting it back in again. Hence the advice to learn sipping.

The fact off the matter is that regs will seldom free flow like that anymore. I know of one person who has had a modern 1st stage free flow outside of ice diving conditions and it was a a failed o-ring. that too was fairly powerful (this is 2nd hand to me and 3rd hand to anyone reading). The fact that it is so rare may be reason enough to reconsider how this skill is taught but for now we are still following recommendations that were probably more relevant 30 or 40 years ago.

It's just one of those things that becomes a paradigm over time and nobody stops to question it.

R..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom