Why do people spit their regulator out as soon as they surface?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@lowwall ideally, if I’ve done my job right, I should be in line with the boat and only need to kick just enough to balance the eddy. Regardless, there’s a decent amount of boat traffic, so I always ascend with 6-700 psi so that if I hear a boat coming when I was about to go up I can stay down and wait it out. So, don’t wanna go back under and risk jeopardizing that. Also, the currents are weird near the shore and I might end up further off course wothout noticing if I can’t see the boat

I was told to keep my regulator in my mouth while climbing the ladder in case I fell back into the water.

There is no reason that one cannot remove the regulator while floating awaiting pickup to talk with buddies who are doing the same. And then when the boat finally get's over to your group for pick up put the regulator back in your mouth if you must to climb the ladder.

As to the regulator protecting teeth, maybe, maybe not. Thanks to a drunk driver my front teeth were removed at an early age. My mom also :mad:. The eventual implants are pretty strong but still no need to hit them because I have had the broken and replaced several times in my life. Recently, on the wild side in Bonaire, my fault, but I took a header into the bench and my G250 took a hard hit and my chin did too and a busted lip and I am quite certain that had the G250 not been there I would be visiting the dentist for new front teeth. And the tooth fairy quit brining me quarters a long time ago.

I see it happen frequently, (more often than not) with novice divers. We can be in three and four-foot seas helping divers get back onto the boat and watch divers trying to choke and blind themselves on sea water after they remove their mask and regulator attempting to get onboard. It is just amazing to watch.

Once you tell them to leave their mask on, regulator in while attempting to board you watch them do the same thing again on the next dive.
:facepalm:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom