Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

See I don't understand this. They had a higher degree of task loading and difficulty during an already stressful situation.

Do you agree with SDI's method or mine?

I see it this way, there is always more than one way to skin a cat and when I REALLY gotta skin a cat, I want to know ever way I can do it. I see nothing wrong with either way and I demonstrated proficiency with the sipping method as per SDI's requirements.

When I was playing around in the pool during my cert, I took the reg out and sipped just because that's the way Mike Nelson did it and I didn't know any differently. Of course when it was my turn to learn it I was taught reg partly in the mouth and sip. No issues either way

Can you elaborate a little one this one?

If you have a reg go into freeze-flow in cold water, you can get ice pellets forming in the air stream the regulator is ejecting....

not saying you will, but you can....

When I did my cert we were taught to remove the reg and sip the free flowing air just as mentioned. I had no issues with this method and nether did the others I was in the pool and later open water with. I guess as long as we know how to get air whilst ascending and that a free flowing reg is reason to terminate the dive (not trying to rectify it at depth) then either method would work. The key as with any emergency is to not panic or freak out when it happens!

As long as you keep your airway open (say "Ahhh" as taught, but that is so you (and the instructor) are SURE it's open), I have witnessed instructors showing 5 different ways to sip. All work.

If you have a reg go into freeze-flow in cold water, you can get ice pellets forming in the air stream the regulator is ejecting....

not saying you will, but you can....

How often has this happened? I'll see if I can get it to happen, as soon as I get to cold water again.

How often has this happened? I'll see if I can get it to happen, as soon as I get to cold water again.

we have gotten it to happen in water with temps in the mid-to-low 30's

It would be pretty cool, almost like an underwater slushy maker. Now if there was a way to bring some flavoring with you, like cherry or watermelon.
Don't quite think that's what was meant by that! :)

It would be pretty cool, almost like an underwater slushy maker. Now if there was a way to bring some flavoring with you, like cherry or watermelon.

During an air share drill at 127' and inside the trailer in Gilboa, it wasn't at all what crossed my mind.....

Back
Top Bottom