PADI Self Reliant Diver course.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

triggerman365

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I looked on both the PADI main webpage and the PADIpro webpage and there is not one thing mentioned about the PADI Self Reliant Diver course. Why isn't PADI advertising it? Does it really exist?

It is a Distinctive Specialty created by an Instructor, not created by PADI. You won't find those listed.

You can find the Instructor outline for it if you go to the Pro site and look under Training Essentials-Curriculum-Diver Training. You will find it under Specialties.

The self-reliant course started as a couple of different instructor-authored distinctive specialties; but in time PADI took over and re-issued it as a so-called standardized distinctive specialty. Others with similar history include those on whale sharks, SMBs, lionfish, etc.
None are advertised on the main PADI page, but as Hawkwood pointed out, they can be found on the pro page. Not sure if DMs can access all parts of the pro page.

And of course there are bunches of other distinctive specialties that remain just instructor-authored and are not found either place.

I looked on both the PADI main webpage and the PADIpro webpage and there is not one thing mentioned about the PADI Self Reliant Diver course.
Probable reasons for the absence of information noted in other responses. There actually was a short (one paragraph) announcement about the SRD course in the Q2 2011 Training Bulletin.
Why isn't PADI advertising it?
As a general practice, PADI does not advertise / promote Distinctive Specialties, although at times that situation exists to the consternation of Instructors who are teaching them. For example, the same was true with the Open Water Sidemount Diver Distinctive Specialty - notwithstanding multiple requests from the original author of the specialty, as well as some instructors. There was little / no publicity until the 'standard' Sidemount specialty courses were released early last year.
Does it really exist?
Absolutely. As one Instructor, I have taught the course 3 times, and certified 8 SR divers. I would imagine that there are many other Instructors have been equally or even more active with it.

Is there something in particular that you wish to know about the course?

Distinctive specialty courses seem to be difficult for divers to track down, a potential flaw in the system. I would think they would be happy to promote them more universally.

Distinctive specialty courses seem to be difficult for divers to track down, a potential flaw in the system. I would think they would be happy to promote them more universally.
I agree, on both counts.

Part of the reason I searched out an SDI instructor for my Solo course. I am PADI AOW but if an agency can't even acknowledge its own course and is afraid to call it what it is/or should be...

It's not really important to me but I do wonder.... does SR ( or any standard distinctive speciality ) apply towards Master Diver?

In Austin, no one really checks that you have the cert. For travel, there were 2 boats that I was interested in ( Blackbeards and M/V Fling ) and I checked with them to see if they would accept it. You'll get more acceptance with the SDI Solo Diver card. But this is good enough for me. It's really about the mindset anyways... not the card.

... does SR ( or any standard distinctive speciality ) apply towards Master Diver?...
They do.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom