PADI Self Reliant Diver course.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am PADI AOW but if an agency can't even acknowledge its own course and is afraid to call it what it is/or should be...
Actually, I would suggest that the agency does fully acknowledge its own (SRD) course. There is a difference between acknowledging and promoting, however. And, PADI's promotional efforts focus on core courses (OW, AOW, Rescue), and 'standard' specialties, not distinctives. That really has nothing to do with SRD, or any other distinctive specialty. Yes, I personally think the agency would be well-served by maintaining a public list of approved Distinctive Specialties, as well as contact information for the authors of those specialties. Or, better yet, they should maintain a list of credentialed instructors for each distinctive specialty. But, that just isn't a primary focus for PADI at the moment. OK, I will take that a step further - Distinctive Specialties are simply not where the primary market is. I am confident, however, that SRD, in particular, will move to a 'standard' specialty sooner rather than later - because that is where a part of the market is going.

And, I think PADI calls the course exactly what it is - a course that helps divers develop self-reliance. Admittedly, at first I was (like others) a bit cynical about the nomenclature - is PADI simply trying to get into the solo training market without 1) using the term 'solo' and 2) therefore having to admit that their previous stance on solo diving (which was perceived as being opposed to solo diving) was wrong? But, the more I thought about it, the logic of the approach became both more clear and more appealing. The course is NOT LIMITED to solo diving. Rather, it facilitates divers becoming better able to take care of themselves underwater, irrespective of whether they are with a buddy, diving in a team, or diving alone. Frankly, I am hesitant to dive with many divers, because I fear they are not self-reliant. I don't want to have to take care of another diver simply because they failed to plan for the dive itself or for contingencies. If someone says they have SRD training, I am much more inclined to be willing to buddy with them. My primary dive buddy and I are SOBs, because we are basically self-reliant. We instinctively know where each other is on a wreck, for example, and we are happy to help each other, but neither of us worries about having to take care of the other. He is an ideal buddy for me. If one of us decides we are cold and wants to end a dive, or if one of us finishes our deco ahead of the other, the one who is not cold may surface with the other, or may not. The one who has finished their deco may hang out with the other, or may go ahead and surface. We don't need each other. We simply enjoy diving with each other.
chrpai:
It's really about the mindset anyways... not the card.
YES! That is a very good, and critical, point. It really is about the mindset. I would suggest the skillset contributes as well. But, it is not about the particular card.

I find that certain operations and sites simply don't allow solo diving, irrespective of what card you have. Some of them turn a blind eye to solo diving, which is fine with me. And, the ones that do allow solo diving are generally not particularly interested in the agency, they are more interested in whether or not you are competent. So, whether your card is from PADI, or SDI, or the Amalgamated Selective Scuba Hotshots Of Lower Egypt agency, they could care less. They want to know that you are not going to be a liability. I engaged in solo diving off charter boats long before I began to teach SRD. But, I was allowed to do that because I had previously demonstrated my abilities (I guess this is where I should also say, 'Boy I sure had them fooled!').

Last edited:
My speculation is that while PADI historically emphasized the importance of buddy diving, there came to be an increasing demand for solo training & certification. This led to people who trained up through the PADI system (like me) looking elsewhere to meet the need, such as the Solo Course of SDI.

And while taking that course, the diver is introduced to and associated with a competitor. Sending your customers to a competitor is often regarded as bad business.

If, on the other hand, PADI puts together a 'Self-reliant' specialty cert. (dodging officially condoning solo diving) they can meet that need, via a distinctive specialty that doesn't get advertised on their main page and is mainly found by people looking for it, and people who are going to solo anyway may stay in the PADI system.

This is my own cynical speculation.

Richard.

If, on the other hand, PADI puts together a 'Self-reliant' specialty cert. (dodging officially condoning solo diving) they can meet that need, via a distinctive specialty that doesn't get advertised on their main page and is mainly found by people looking for it, and people who are going to solo anyway may stay in the PADI system.
Anything is possible, and speculation is what we're doing so it is hard to say one view is more accurate than the other. I don't see PADI as an organization that wants to be the 'first' in a newer area. Maybe their emphasis on rebreathers at the recreational level is a divergence from that practice. But I see the timing of their entry into enriched air training, and technical training, as two examples, as a reflection of that conservative approach. I can see the logic of using a Distinctive Specialty to test the water, and work out details, before coming out with a standard specialty. At the same time I can understand how some may see that approach in a different light.

But, the speculation at this point may not be all that relevant. The OP's question was does it exist. It does. The course is what it is, divers are free to take what they want, and some will find the SDI course meets their needs, while others will find that PADI's SRD does.

if an agency can't even acknowledge its own course...

I think the details given in the thread are quite clear. This is a 'distinctive' specialty course. It was authored by an individual instructor (AndyNZ from this forum), not by PADI. PADI simply 'approved' it. On the PADI Pro (Instructor/DM) website, the outline is provided in case other instructors wish to replicate/teach it also.

There is an article on the course here: PADI goes solo - Divernet

...and is afraid to call it what it is/or should be...

You put too much emphasis on titles. PADI opted to focus the course title upon the major attribute of the training - self-sufficiency. This brings about a mindset where the training can be applied in a wider range of situations - solo diving, self-sufficient team/buddy diving and for dive pros who cannot always rely on effective support in the water (the 'solo instructor' scenario).

Personally, I feel that the training is better marketed and focused on the training 'product' (self-sufficiency) rather than pretending to be some sort of 'license' to dive alone. Scuba certifications aren't licenses...

I think the details given in the thread are quite clear. This is a 'distinctive' specialty course. It was authored by an individual instructor (AndyNZ from this forum), not by PADI. PADI simply 'approved' it. On the PADI Pro (Instructor/DM) website, the outline is provided in case other instructors wish to replicate/teach it also...

So for PADI, the Self Reliant Diver is on the same level as Zombie Apocalypse Diver?... :shocked2:

More seriously, I understand what you are saying and I understand PADI's desire to test the waters and to broaden the concept to appeal to a wider audience of divers that may not have a true "solo mindset." But for me personally it indicated, perhaps, less of a commitment to a true solo course, which is what I wanted. So yea, you are right. It was named correctly.

So for PADI, the Self Reliant Diver is on the same level as Zombie Apocalypse Diver?...

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make, but the Self-Reliant Diver course equates to other agencies' Solo Diver courses. It has a high entry bar and covers a robust syllabus.

More seriously, I understand what you are saying and I understand PADI's desire to test the waters and to broaden the concept to appeal to a wider audience of divers that may not have a true "solo mindset." But for me personally it indicated, perhaps, less of a commitment to a true solo course, which is what I wanted. So yea, you are right. It was named correctly.

I perceive it as offering more, not less. I still don't understand the fixation on the 'solo' title. It trains you to dive without reliance on the buddy system, mitigating foreseeable risks through appropriate training, skills, protocols and equipment selection.

There's no question of commitment - it's a comprehensive course. Philosophically, it is encouraging self-sufficiency in a wider perspective than just diving alone. That's a very good thing.

I think thats the problem DD. You are looking at it logically and I am just giving my impressions of the course based on padi's marketing strategy or lack thereof. I guess my point if i have one is that padi maybe doing themselves a disservice with this approach.

Last edited:
I think thats the problem DD. You are looking at it logically and I am just giving my impressions of the course based on padi's marketing stregety or lack thereof. I guess my point if i have one is that padi may be doung themselves a disservice with this approach.

Agencies tend to try and differentiate what they offer - even when the comparable courses are virtually identical. I guess someone with a professional marketing background could explain the logic behind that...

For the record, here's exactly how PADI define the course (PADI Self-Reliant Diver Distinctive Specialty Course Instructor Guide):

The purpose of the Self-Reliant Diver specialty course is to recognize and accept the role of the buddy system and its contributions to diver safety while identifying and developing self-reliance and independence while diving. There are two reasons for an experienced diver to take the Self-Reliant diver course:

• To develop the skills of planning and carrying out dives without a partner when preferred or necessary.
• To sharpen skills of diving self-reliance, making the diver a stronger partner in a dive pair or team.

This course covers when diving alone may be applicable, and the need to compensate for those situations, including dive planning, life support system readiness, adaptive training, equipment and responsibility.

This course is an introduction to self-reliant diving that helps student divers develop the skills, knowledge and techniques necessary to rely on themselves first, whether or not they are diving with a partner, including:

• The value and application of the buddy system.
• The philosophy of, and motivation for, diving without a partner.
• Potential risks of diving alone, and how to manage those risks.
• The value of equipment redundancy and what back-up equipment is needed.
• Dive planning and gas management.

But, I was allowed to do that because I had previously demonstrated my abilities (I guess this is where I should also say, 'Boy I sure had them fooled!').

Funny, that's exactly what went through my mind every time one of the DM interns went to the salty old DM that I saw every day on the boat, the guy that tied the boat to the wreck, and then went down and untied it. They would ask him "do we allow solo diving?" and then he would look at me, every time, and say "yea, he's OK". You've got to be some kind of BS artist to BS one of those guys.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom