PADI Self Reliant Diver course.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So for PADI, the Self Reliant Diver is on the same level as Zombie Apocalypse Diver?... :shocked2:

More seriously, I understand what you are saying and I understand PADI's desire to test the waters and to broaden the concept to appeal to a wider audience of divers that may not have a true "solo mindset." But for me personally it indicated, perhaps, less of a commitment to a true solo course, which is what I wanted. So yea, you are right. It was named correctly.

going by the info provided in the divernet article - the pre-req is 100 logged dives, independent air source, "A spare mask; spare bottom-timer and depth gauge (dive computer); dive knife (where permitted locally); DSMB and reel, with enough line for the maximum planned depth; and a surface-audible signalling device are all mandatory items of equipment"

the article's author states this:
This is not a solo-diver course in the true sense, nor was it intended to be. The word “solo” is not used in the course materials – it’s all about self-reliance.
The course provides the diver with the skills, knowledge and mental attitude to undertake dives in a much safer way than ever before within the PADI diving system. Being self-sufficient makes sense, with the emphasis on anticipating, preparing for and dealing with problems if and when they occur.

It sounds like it would improve the average diver who wants to be a better diver, not necessarily a solo diver.

i think i will talk more with one of the instructors down here since i noticed he's "qualified" to teach it in order to form a better opinion on it rather than just what is posted on here so far.

i think i will talk more with one of the instructors down here since i noticed he's "qualified" to teach it in order to form a better opinion on it rather than just what is posted on here so far.

You won't get much more authoritative definition of the course aims than this... straight from the instructor manual...

"Self-Reliant Diver - Distinctive Specialty Course Instructor Guide

General Purpose

The purpose of the Self-Reliant Diver specialty course is to recognize and accept the role of the buddy system and its contributions to diver safety while identifying and developing self-reliance and independence while diving. There are two reasons for an experienced diver to take the Self-Reliant diver course:

• To develop the skills of planning and carrying out dives without a partner when preferred or necessary.
• To sharpen skills of diving self-reliance, making the diver a stronger partner in a dive pair or team.

This course covers when diving alone may be applicable, and the need to compensate for those situations, including dive planning, life support system readiness, adaptive training, equipment and responsibility.

This course is an introduction to self-reliant diving that helps student divers develop the skills, knowledge and techniques necessary to rely on themselves first, whether or not they are diving with a partner, including:

• The value and application of the buddy system.
• The philosophy of, and motivation for, diving without a partner.
• Potential risks of diving alone, and how to manage those risks.
• The value of equipment redundancy and what back-up equipment is needed.
• Dive planning and gas management."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom