PADI Peak Performance Buoyancy Instructor in Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NetDoC

I agree that the point is to learn and not to get a card per se but sometimes people want cards for something else. Sounds like your course more than covers PPB or some agency equivalent. They would not earn a card if they paid for it?

They would not earn a card if they paid for it?
Steve,

It's my opinion that trim, buoyancy and propulsion are the most important skills to be mastered, truly mastered in OW. Consequently, I honestly feel these skills are remedial in nature. The agency I teach for, NASE, feels the same way. These are skills that should have been taught in OW, but often aren't. I believe the idea you need a hundred dives to master buoyancy is a myth. It can usually be done in one or two days, depending on the diver and their bad habits, just like my OW students. In any event, my clinic is tailored to the student's needs and deficiencies. Since they already have an OW card, it doesn't make sense to give them another.

Thanks for all the great info/recommendations everybody!

Does it have to be PADI?

I was looking for PADI because eventually I will be looking to complete my PADI Divemaster and it would count towards my 5 specialty certs, but based off of the great praise for @NetDoc's course, I think that's the route I will be going.

The link is in my signature.

Thanks I will be reaching out soon!!

come check out Stuart Scuba

I actually had a friend who lives in Port St. Lucie recommend your shop so I'm sure you will see me soon!

Steve Bohanan at Sea Hunt Scuba in St Augustine, if that is more convenient a location for you

Thanks! Always looking for good instructors up this way.

So, I just wanted to take a minute and review my two days with Pete, for those who may be interested in his class currently or in the future.

I’ll start off by saying there are a lot of teachers in my family, and when I was in college I was considering going into teaching myself. I feel some people are just cut out to be teachers. These people have several skills (both natural and learned) that allow them to get the information to their students in an effective and proper manner. Pete has this knack. My wife was very reluctant to joining me in the class at first (she didn’t want to complicate her vacation with course work). After talking things over before we left our hometown she agreed to join me during our first course in the pool...

During this first course Pete was great. I thought I needed 12lbs of lead in the fresh water. Pete allowed me to take it from his van, but once we got in the water the first thing he had me do was take all the lead out of my bcd and do a buoyancy check… surprised as I was the crown of my head went completely under the water, and I began to sink when exhaling… no lead needed. The class continued with buoyancy. Pete spent a lot of time working with us breath control. We also worked on trim. I also enjoyed working with my new fins (changing from SP Jet Sport Fins to Hollis F-1 Bat Fins). Pete was great as I tried to switch from a flutter kick to a frog kick. I could tell time was allotted to the skills we needed more help with, as it should have been.
The first day ended at our request. We had afternoon dives booked with Rainbow Reef, and I didn’t want to miss my scheduled dives due to the course work. I felt like Pete was ok with my decision, but on the other hand he would have happily worked with us for a while longer if we had the time. This was a pleasant change from my prior experience. Earlier in my OW training the instructor was always rushed to end our morning classes. He was a DM for the shop and he had to lead afternoon dives, this schedule was always a strain on our class. The pace of Pete’s class was very nice.

The second day of class work was done at John Pennekamp State Park. My wife sat this dive/ class out due to the rocky shore, and colder than expected water temperatures. This was fine with me as it allowed Pete and I to work on other skills that my wife is not interested in (navigation, SMB deployment, ect). It was very nice working out of Pete’s van… I need a bolt snap for my compass, Pete has one. I need a light (don’t own one) Pete loans me one. Super nice and convenient.

This day’s diving started with some buoyancy work… simple, swim along and check out the muck for critters. The diving was shallow so we could surface, talk, and go back down to work on other skills. It was nice for me to be able to navigate in a low viz situation, something I'll experience with diving locally in the future. Pete would give me a spot to work towards, I’d set my compass, and we’d head to it. That was great for me. Another skill I enjoyed working on with Pete was shooting a SMB. I would never carry a SMB/ reel because I wasn’t confident using one, even though I knew it’s an important piece of safety equipment. I was able to deploy the smb (a few different times) with Pete there, line cutter in hand if things got out of hand. Again, this was something I not only enjoyed doing, but a learned a lot, and gained confidence in a very short amount of time.

All and all I was very happy with my time spent with Pete. It was time (and money) well spent. I could have booked a different class with someone else, but I liked Pete’s class for several reasons. The main reason is my trim and buoyancy improved. In addition to this, I was able to start working on my frog kick under the guidance of someone who was knowledge. Last but not least, I was able to gain confidence with navigation and deploying a SMB. All and all, a great experience for both my wife, and I. Thanks Pete!

IMG_6789.JPG

I don't think one is going to get a better trim in 10 dives, unless they are horrible to start with. Trim is something that is trained over time. It requires dedication and discipline (one more for discipline). Most of all, a ton of experience that comes from diving over and over again, where one has plenty of time to develop muscle memory. What was taught in 10 dives will be forgotten in ten unsupervised dives.

Plus, if you want a GREAT instructor, consider Jim Wyatt, here is his resume, he has got everything: Jim Wyatt - Cave Instructor for NSS-CDS , NACD, TDI, and IANTD

He is at Key Largo working from Rainbow Reef.

Last edited:
Thanks for the details on your dive training. It is great to find instructors wiling to work with a focus on repeating skills for next trip to Florida.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom