Hey new friends šŸ‘‹šŸ¤æšŸŒŠā˜ŗļø

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use an Atomic B2 regulator, cheapest model they have with the patented swivel, makes it much more relaxed to keep the reg in your mouth as you pivot your head.
I was reaaaally tempted on that one because of the swivel, I liked that feature a lot! I went with the Apeks XTX200, trying it out tomorrow for the first time at the quarry :)

Hello there.

You don't look like a lurker

You would think people would appropriate better titles for themselves

However diving is great, maybe I should give everyone a break and give this lurking a try

I meanā€¦.good lurkers donā€™t look like anything :)

ā€œLurking - remaining hidden so as to wait in ambush.ā€

I donā€™t know about ambush butā€¦ya never know when underwater ninjas šŸ„· will be summoned to strike. šŸ«”šŸ˜‡

Welcome to our really cool world! You might want to mosey on over to Womenā€™s Perspectives to check out advice on gear. You might want to see if there are any women shaped like you who found wetsuits and BCDs that are a good fit. Lots of great info there, about all sorts of dive related stuff.

Happy diving!!
Thank you for pointing me to the right direction! I will check it out! :)

I tried diving dry with a backplate and wing and humiliated myself with how ridiculous I looked. That said I know many, many more experienced divers who love them. I only have 23 dives under my belt so I am far from experienced. I know comfort, fit and confidence are keys for me to enjoy a dive. Get certified with what you have available and then try different types of equipment. Don't try changing too many things on one dive though. Keep it simple and fun. Welcome to a fantastic reason to hide expensive purchases from your significant other. Maybe they will learn to dive and you can enjoy the sport together.

Thank you for the feedback! What is diving dry? I was interested in the Zeagle Ranger but Iā€™m going to keep looking. Iā€™m mentally passing on the aqualung lotus, itā€™s just uncomfortable for me. So far I have fins, mask, snorkel, dive comp, underwater UV flashlight and regulator figured out.

Just need 7mm wetsuit, hood, gloves, BC, tanks, and Iā€™ll be off to Lake Superior to rock hunt! šŸ™Œ

And I donā€™t need to worry about all that but Iā€™m not one for hiding decisions anyway!

Thank you! I havenā€™t seen that one yet, it looks nice and the reviews are great. I was looking at the Zeagle Ranger.
Don't get a Ranger. I started with one because I knew nothing and fell for the marketing. I ended up with a BP/W and couldn't be happier.

It's counterintuitive, but less really is more when it comes to BCDs. Less padding means less lead, more freedom, less effort moving through the water. If you want a Zeagle, the Zena is likely your best bet.

Thank you for the feedback! What is diving dry? I was interested in the Zeagle Ranger but Iā€™m going to keep looking. Iā€™m mentally passing on the aqualung lotus, itā€™s just uncomfortable for me. So far I have fins, mask, snorkel, dive comp, underwater UV flashlight and regulator figured out.

Just need 7mm wetsuit, hood, gloves, BC, tanks, and Iā€™ll be off to Lake Superior to rock hunt! šŸ™Œ

And I donā€™t need to worry about all that but Iā€™m not one for hiding decisions anyway!
Diving dry means using a drysuit, which is a really good idea in Lake Superior. It takes a little extra training and it's more money up front, but if you really get into diving up there you will absolutely end up with a drysuit so you might as well bite the bullet now and avoid the cost of buying both a 7mm and a drysuit.

Which computer?

Is a UV flashlight really useful in Lake Superior?

Reactions: 8mb
Diving dry means using a drysuit, which is a really good idea in Lake Superior. It takes a little extra training and it's more money up front, but if you really get into diving up there you will absolutely end up with a drysuit so you might as well bite the bullet now and avoid the cost of buying both a 7mm and a drysuit.

Which computer?

Thank you for the Zeagle feedback! I donā€™t know what to get in that department but I agree that the Ranger feels like itā€™s hyped up. BP/W is what the cool tech diving kids use I hear. Iā€™ll probably need 20 lb of weight with a 7mm. I am a floater for sure.

And yes, I do agree about the dry suit, nitrox, and advanced diving classes will be my next classes. I want to take rescue as well because I canā€™t fathom being unable to help because I didnā€™t know how. I know things happen outside of our control but thatā€™s the other class I really want to do. Then wrecks, photography after but thereā€™s a school by me that bundles a bunch into advanced, maybe thatā€™s just standard though.

Iā€™m trying to go for less is more, the dive computer I got is the Shearwater Peregrine TX - one of the instructors at the dive shop Iā€™m taking classes at was kind enough to set it up for me to use on the Apeks regulator I also got yesterday, so that I can break them both in at the open water dives in the quarry this weekend. Iā€™m excited to try them out.
I was stuck between the Shearwater and the Oceanic Pro Plus, I absolutely LOVE the way it feels and looks and the display on it. Butā€¦Iā€™m trying to go for less is more. I love photography on land and Iā€™m sure Iā€™ll want to get into it in the sea also, so I figure minimalism will be good practice right off the bat and I think the tx is better for that.

Iā€™m a creature of habit - once I get used to something, it stays that way. So Iā€™ll do more research on the BP/W then. Me thinks itā€™s in line with the minimalism.

All on the road toā€¦. a rebreather.
Mwahahaha! *insert Mr. Burns hands here*

ā€¦Okā€¦maybe like in 5 years+ šŸ˜‚

Thank you for the Zeagle feedback! I donā€™t know what to get in that department but I agree that the Ranger feels like itā€™s hyped up. BP/W is what the cool tech diving kids use I hear. Iā€™ll probably need 20 lb of weight with a 7mm. I am a floater for sure.

And yes, I do agree about the dry suit, nitrox, and advanced diving classes will be my next classes. I want to take rescue as well because I canā€™t fathom being unable to help because I didnā€™t know how. I know things happen outside of our control but thatā€™s the other class I really want to do. Then wrecks, photography after but thereā€™s a school by me that bundles a bunch into advanced, maybe thatā€™s just standard though.

Iā€™m trying to go for less is more, the dive computer I got is the Shearwater Peregrine TX - one of the instructors at the dive shop Iā€™m taking classes at was kind enough to set it up for me to use on the Apeks regulator I also got yesterday, so that I can break them both in at the open water dives in the quarry this weekend. Iā€™m excited to try them out.
I was stuck between the Shearwater and the Oceanic Pro Plus, I absolutely LOVE the way it feels and looks and the display on it. Butā€¦Iā€™m trying to go for less is more. I love photography on land and Iā€™m sure Iā€™ll want to get into it in the sea also, so I figure minimalism will be good practice right off the bat and I think the tx is better for that.

Iā€™m a creature of habit - once I get used to something, it stays that way. So Iā€™ll do more research on the BP/W then. Me thinks itā€™s in line with the minimalism.

You have made solid choices with your gear so far.

I'll note that stainless steel backplates really shine in cold water since it puts a bunch of your needed ballast in the optimal place for good trim.

I have the Peregrine, but not the TX. I think youā€™ll be very happy with it. Very easy to change settings and it doesnā€™t reset to default over night (a problem you donā€™t hear about until you own one that does - and itā€™s very frustrating).

I also dive a Zena. Itā€™s not BP/W but itā€™s close. Itā€™s made for women and if you add a crotch strap itā€™s pretty amazing. You can order it so that the pieces of it are sized perfectly for the way your body is made. I would recommend going through zeagleexpress.com if you decide to go with a Zena. I suspect most dive shops donā€™t really know how to size them, and if they do, they donā€™t have each of the components in different sizes. The folks there are great to work with. If you are interested in a crotch strap they can add one for a fee. I wish the Zena was already made with one.

When you are looking at BCs, including BP/W do make the effort to try them on WITH a tank attached. I bought a BC and loved it ā€¦ and then put it on a tank and hated the way it sat on my back. The straps bit into my breasts and it was terribly uncomfortable.

Which computer?

Oooh also, the UV flashlight - yes. So the shores of Lake Superior are blessed with chunks of broken off pieces of Canadian sodalite from cliffs somewhere of some such that are a billion years old, which have now turned into to boring looking rocks youā€™d never care for passing them by on the beach. The ice age glacier melts brought them to the shores of Lake Superior.

ā€¦..BUT! At nightā€¦..everything changes! šŸŖ„āœØ

You can find them using a UV flashlight and they get a fluorescent orange. Hereā€™s one of the ones I found on the beach so you can check it outā€¦nowā€¦the funk soul brother.

ā€¦okā€¦slowly walking backwards awkwardlyā€¦šŸ‘€
Donā€™t mind me, the dork is strong with this one today.

I saw people finding them years and years ago and I wanted to MacGyver a see through bottom kayak with UV lights attached to the bottom shining down, to go find them at night but I contemplated retrieval. After many years, scuba diving makes much more sense šŸ¤”

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 16
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 16
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom