P valves for women???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The bag is attached to leg and you can't ripp it - it's too heavy duty.
As for sensivity of the area - it's not that I bad I thought at the beginning. The pain is exactly the same as waxing
:D
I use diapers as well and have no problem with them either. But I really like to be well hydrated when diving so I would rather sacrifice the pain of glueing than risk being dehydrated which may be a result of eating salt before diving.
Mania

Mania, just to correct . . . You run NO risk of dehydration by eating salt before diving.

What the body does with salt is, when it detects an increased amount of salt in the blood, it causes the kidneys to concentrate the urine to keep water in the bloodstream to dilute the salt. So you actually EXPAND the volume in your vascular tree by eating salt, so long as you don't withhold fluids at the same time.

Lynn
Thanks for clarification. anyway - what I do prior to the dive is drinking a lot (and I mean a lot) of water. Not to mention the fact that I'm generally that type of person who enters water and then immediately need to pee (despite the amount of drinking before). And the same happens when diving or just going for a swim
So this female p valve is one of the best solutions...
Mania

TSandM:
Mania, just to correct . . . You run NO risk of dehydration by eating salt before diving.

What the body does with salt is, when it detects an increased amount of salt in the blood, it causes the kidneys to concentrate the urine to keep water in the bloodstream to dilute the salt. So you actually EXPAND the volume in your vascular tree by eating salt, so long as you don't withhold fluids at the same time.

<wiping forehead> whew...thought I might have to give up peanuts! :rofl3:

Actually, big pickles work better than peanuts. I used to work at a Renaissance Fair, and we were told to eat a pickle in the middle of the day, to keep from dehydrating...super salty things, those giant pickles are...and drink lots of water. Hey, pretty much what I do whenever I dive...guess the ren fair was good practice for long dives...

Hey this is great value for both genders! We seem to targeting the problem, not the symptom. With just a little planning I'm usually fine diving dry but this could buy me some extra margin, especially for dive 2.

The pickle is a great idea. I was trying to figure out how to explain a salt-lick in my dive bag.:11:

Pete

TSandM:
catheters in women bypass the urinary sphincter

ok, that sent me to a medical dictionary ... and this gem:

Human males have much stronger sphincter muscles than females, meaning that they can retain a large amount of urine for twice as long, as much as 800mL, i.e. "hold it".

(yes! this explains so much!)

systems which attempt to divert urine from the perineum

back to the dictionary...

uh oh wrong thread :)

Dive-aholic:
I'm guessing mania uses a p-valve. Having the Hollister hooked up to a leg bag wouldn't work very well. The pressure would cause reflux. But if you're so inclined to try it out with a leg bag before putting a hole in your suit, the bags strap around your leg. They aren't taped to it. The bags are also fairly heavy duty so chances of ripping are very small. In fact, I don't think I could even rip one of those bags with my hands if I tried.

I'd definitely want to try without puncturing the suit first. I am not worried about the bag breaking, I am worried about the bag ripping off of me (OOOWWIEEEE). I am still not sure how the p-valves work though. How come there be enough pressure to push the pee out of the bag and through the tubes and valve??? It's more of a dead space than with guys because of the reservoir, no? I'd hate to have a slosher between my legs for the rest of the dive.

SoCalAngel:
Depends holds the urine in (according to my elderly grandmother) and you don't feel the wetness...just the lumpyness!

I bet the elderly gramma does not produce the amount of urine in one attack as I do (I am more in the league of Andy's records, I do not even feel the urge for piddly amounts). I know about having to go slowly but I have yet to witness a product that could contain me, especially when moving about after the fact.... and they are not going into my thinsulate undies before more proof of the capacity. I'd take lumps, I'd even take feeling little wet if I knew pee was not squishing/gushing from the legholes....

H2Andy:
ok, that sent me to a medical dictionary ... and this gem:

Human males have much stronger sphincter muscles than females, meaning that they can retain a large amount of urine for twice as long, as much as 800mL, i.e. "hold it".

(yes! this explains so much!)... back to the dictionary...

Ok... this may be true...but I can tell you for a fact: Female teachers can hold their urine for countless hours (or at least 6 - the length of the average school day)!

Depends aren't like diapers of old. Most have an inner layer of a powder that absorbs up to 300% of it's weight in water which don't squish out or leave liquid to run around. Add to that the liner is a dry liner so you don't feel the wetness. Not that most like wearing them but they do absorb and hold liquids.

And for little pee-ers they make a pad style so you don't have to wear the underwear version. They are primarily for land users who have weakend muscles, but for underwater they are great for those who pee little amounts or can hold it 80% of the time but might have a little mishap or leakage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom