P valves for women???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

creamofwheat

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Is it true? There are p valves for women?

How? Where? I want one.

To all intents and purposes, there aren't.

You CAN, if you are so motivated, catheterize yourself and hook the catheter up to a P-valve. The problem is that, unlike with the guys, catheters in women bypass the urinary sphincter, so any backwash goes straight into the bladder and sets you up for nasty infection.

From everything I've read and heard, systems which attempt to divert urine from the perineum in women are unreliable at best, and miserable at worst. The problem is adhesion, and if you don't have perfect adhesion, you have leakage.

Every discussion of this I have read has ended with Depends :(

I think I'd rather hold it or go for the Depends rather than use a catheter on myself. Just does not sound appealing!

Oh, there are a lot of people who, because of various sorts of problems, learn to self-cath. If I were doing the kind of deco diving with several-hour-long hangs, I might consider it (with an appropriately designed one-way valve to prevent backwash!). I can't wrap my brain around spending a couple of hours in a wet diaper, myself.

Good thing I have no intentions, now or in the future, to do dives with multiple-hour deco!

I will offer one idea for making long dives more comfortable, though: Salt. A handful of salty snacks a few minutes before getting in the water will reduce urine output and keep you comfortable longer.

TSandM:
Oh, there are a lot of people who, because of various sorts of problems, learn to self-cath. If I were doing the kind of deco diving with several-hour-long hangs, I might consider it (with an appropriately designed one-way valve to prevent backwash!). I can't wrap my brain around spending a couple of hours in a wet diaper, myself.

Good thing I have no intentions, now or in the future, to do dives with multiple-hour deco!

I will offer one idea for making long dives more comfortable, though: Salt. A handful of salty snacks a few minutes before getting in the water will reduce urine output and keep you comfortable longer.

Hello Ladies,
Please forgive the intrusion, But I was wondering if the "salty snacks" thing works for guys as well.

TSandM:
Salt. A handful of salty snacks a few minutes before getting in the water will reduce urine output and keep you comfortable longer.
Good tip, Lynn, thanks.

BTW, I love your new avatar.

TSandM:
From everything I've read and heard, systems which attempt to divert urine from the perineum in women are unreliable at best, and miserable at worst. The problem is adhesion, and if you don't have perfect adhesion, you have leakage.

Every discussion of this I have read has ended with Depends :(

How about a combination of the 2 - catch bag plus Depends for the leakage. That way you don't sit in a liter of urine and can catch some of that leakage.

Back
Top Bottom