P.A.D.I. allows family members living at the same address to share training manuals!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I was 16 years old, my parents divorced. My then 11 y/o brother eventually moved to my mom's new home for High School, 600 miles away. I flew-the-coop for the oil field after a year of Jr. College. My sister went off on her own a year later. If we had all gone through scuba certification together as a family after little bro turned 10, within 4 years only my father would have had a manual.

I have an OW video that I let all my students watch, but I have no problem with requiring every student to have their own manual (+student folder, logbook & tables), even married to each other students. My independent instructor rates are competitive with any of my peers; If you want a better price bring more friends for a better group discount! :)

halemanō;5179294:
... my parents divorced ... brother eventually moved to my mom's new home ... I flew-the-coop ... My sister went off on her own a year later. If we had all gone through scuba certification together as a family after little bro turned 10, within 4 years only my father would have had a manual.

... My independent instructor rates are competitive with any of my peers; If you want a better price bring more friends for a better group discount! :)

And in all honesty how many OW students still have their manuals today?

For me it isn't about saving a little money, my instructor doesn't mark-up the books so a new Rescue Manual would only cost me $22. I just don't see the point of everyone owning a book that they will hardly ever open again.

PADI's point is to ensure that Dive Students have access to CURRENT material during their training.

I still have all of my manuals (and my wife and kids have theirs too, grumble grumble.)

A bit of a left turn but still marginally on topic. What does your LDS charge for PADI Nitrox tables (32/36 plus the CNS/Air Conversion tables). My LDS wanted about $80 for a set and, again, wanted everybody taking the Nitrox class to have their own set. I found 3 sets (one son too young to take Nitrox) online for $15 each. Quite a difference in price. (I think the online source was DixieDivers but been awhile.)

I still have all of my manuals (and my wife and kids have theirs too, grumble grumble.)

A bit of a left turn but still marginally on topic. What does your LDS charge for PADI Nitrox tables (32/36 plus the CNS/Air Conversion tables). My LDS wanted about $80 for a set and, again, wanted everybody taking the Nitrox class to have their own set. I found 3 sets (one son too young to take Nitrox) online for $15 each. Quite a difference in price. (I think the online source was DixieDivers but been awhile.)

I don't use the LDS for training anymore, I found a good independent instructor. He's further away but trains at the same watering hole as the LDS.

But buying anything online (except a BP&W of course) will lead to certain death I thought.

I bought a set of tables after my OW off of eBay and paid I think $5 + a couple for shipping. It was used but hey....it is plastic with writing on it and all the writing was there.

But buying anything online (except a BP&W of course) will lead to certain death I thought.

I bought a set of tables after my OW off of eBay and paid I think $5 + a couple for shipping. It was used but hey....it is plastic with writing on it and all the writing was there.

That will probably just make you sick :D

and whats funnier still to me is diveshops wonder why ever day more and more people go to the internet, and why there bussiness is loosing more bussiness every year. Outside of training and Air fills I can see LDS loosing the equipment battle. The good thing about the internet is less change your wallet will get raped. If you want to keep customers it's simple treat us right don't take advantage of your customers, the day of not knowing is long gone. it's time to stop thinking everyone is knive about prices. I mean would it Kill a Diveshop that you trained with and bought 1,000 of in equipment to give you a free Air fill when you come into the store or something. For most a little will go a long way

I don't even remember having a manual when I got certified in the 60s (LAC). I didn't keep my AOW manual (got that cert while I was backpacking for 3 months and diving the GBR). I do still have my Rescue manual.

I realize PADI likes to sell things, but I find the policy of each individual having their own manual objectionable on the basis of environmental issues. Why force every unrelated person to buy one if they will hardly see any use after the course? Just more trash and waste of trees.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom