Trip Report Grand Park Royal, July 15-24 & Jungle Divers (again!)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kimela

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We officially are not Grand Park Royal fans. We had a fantastic room – I think they referred to it as an Ambassador Room (rm 2226). It had two full baths; a bedroom with two queen beds; a large sitting/living room with a Murphy bed; a balcony that seated two off the bedroom; a balcony that seated two that was off the living room; and a full slider window off the living room that led to a large deck where there was a king sized outdoor bed (is that a cabana bed?) and a table for four. The beds were ok – the pillows were hard. The water pressure and heat was fantastic (though the sink in Roger’s room leaked – we never reported it because we didn’t want to have maintenance in to fix it). So that’s what was great about the GPR.

Here’s why I didn’t like it. If you wanted to eat at a sit-down restaurant, where you order off the menu, you had to stand in line at 8 a.m. – and we were told they were usually full by 9:30. If you’re a diver, when are you going to do this? I understand that the ‘members’ could make reservations without standing in the line, and they almost always choose the Italian restaurant and filled it. They may as well have called it the “members only club”. We got in one night because I begged them to break the rules for my birthday (and they fit us in two days later – on a Saturday night when the attendance was light due to it being a travel day!).

The GPR is a very large property. While we were there probably 80% of the guests were Spanish speaking. Someone else had said that he felt like the locals working on property were treated as ‘less than’ by the Spanish speaking travelers. I saw a little of that as well. When we have stayed at Fiesta Americana we noticed most of the guests spoke Spanish as well – but it was a different clientele. The folks at FA were kinder and less ‘rude’ than at GPR. Examples at GPR: when folks were getting off an elevator the people waiting WOULD NOT MOVE to allow them passage. I watched once as the doors closed because they couldn’t get off! Walking along the pathways people wouldn’t move to the side – it was expected that we would jump onto the grass for them to pass by. Maybe it was a ‘members mindset’?

The place felt like an amusement park – with tons of stuff for little kids to do. The pool and surrounding area was like a water park. The squealing of children was from dawn to dusk – and it was in the middle of the place. I wouldn’t have intentionally brought my children here because it was overstimulating for ME – my kids wouldn’t have done well here.

Because it was so large it felt impersonal. We had one breakfast waiter that I requested every morning and by the end of the week I finally felt like there was a bit of a personal connection (and that’s important for me – otherwise I just feel like a number).

If you have a family member who has a mobility issue you’ll probably want to avoid this place. Arriving and leaving each day requires going up and down a cobbled hill – unless you’re using a taxi. Throughout the property there is cobblestone – except inside the hotel where there are polished tiles that are very slippery when wet.

The food at the Italian restaurant was good. I ordered a soup that was just a little warmer than tepid – and I’m not sure why that happens. Same thing happened on our only other sit-down dinner at the Mexican restaurant when my soup was room temp. Otherwise, we were eating in the buffet – which was just ok. Not bad. Just ok.

We went to Ernesto’s for dinner one evening – great as always. And we went to Blue Angel one night and they were awesome. The same guy was working there as other times we’ve been there – he’s enthusiastic, kind, and funny. It may be his schtick – but I think this is just ‘who he is’ and I appreciate his attention to detail and customer service. Doesn’t hurt that the Green Curry lionfish was wonderful, as was my ‘Ohana’ dessert (I think that’s what it was called) – it had peanut butter tequila, ice cream, a brownie on the bottom and a truffle on top – served in a martini glass. Yum!

DrRich – yes, they have a beach area but I didn’t pay much attention to it. We only went there one night when the buffet was served at the beachside restaurant.

We booked this place on RCI points and could only go Sunday to Sunday, so we moved to Casa del Mar for our last two nights. I had a palpable feeling of relief going back to a smaller property, where I could view the sunset without a frenetic amount of constant action all around me. We really like Casa del Mar (but we always stay in a cabana at CDM and that makes a world of difference).

We’re discovering we like smaller properties where we can connect to other people. Because GPR was so large, and most of the guests speak Spanish and were traveling with extended families, we felt cut off from everyone around us. Always looking for new places to go though. Anyone been to Village Tan Koh? Thinking about doing Palmar too.

Dove with Jungle Divers – wonderful as always – see previous reviews.

I will post a separate review about my dental work ...

def sounds like the resort was just fine (i have stayed there once) and you unfortunately chose a property that was not what you were looking for.

hard to blame the resort for the type of guests that stay there and it is no secret it is not a "boutique" hotel. there are many that are wayyyy bigger but it is a fair size with ameneties that are for families with kids etc. we also are not interested in staying where there are lots of kids etc so we either stay elswhere or choose an adult only section if possible. that might be an option in the future for you to try

i have also stayed at casa del mar. comparing the two is like apples and oranges imho.

sorry you were disappointed. perhaps staying in a condo would be more to your liking? we use condos alot when travelling but have never done it on coz.

i hope the rest of your vacation was a good one !!

If you wanted to eat at a sit-down restaurant, where you order off the menu, you had to stand in line at 8 a.m. – and we were told they were usually full by 9:30

This is not just PR, it's ALOT of other AIs in my experience. It does suck though. But I learned long go - AI is no longer an option for me (unless its Sandals or an Aggressor). I'd have to be in Jamaica or Dominican where its unsafe to leave the resort.

Examples at GPR: when folks were getting off an elevator the people waiting WOULD NOT MOVE to allow them passage. I watched once as the doors closed because they couldn’t get off! Walking along the pathways people wouldn’t move to the side – it was expected that we would jump onto the grass for them to pass by.

Some of those folks would have run into a brick wall - me. Haha... Rude...

The place felt like an amusement park – with tons of stuff for little kids to do. The pool and surrounding area was like a water park. The squealing of children was from dawn to dusk – and it was in the middle of the place.

We walked through PR a few yrs back just so we could assess it - it was a no-go from the moment I saw it. Amusement park is a good comparison, and the screaming ill-behaved kids - NO THANK YOU. I hope they have a quiet pool! (dont remember)

so we moved to Casa del Mar for our last two nights. I had a palpable feeling of relief going back to a smaller property, where I could view the sunset without a frenetic amount of constant action all around me. We really like Casa del Mar (but we always stay in a cabana at CDM and that makes a world of difference).

For a quick cheap 4d trip to CZ, IDK how you can beat Casa Del Mar - I have been staying there over 30 yrs and Santos has the best HH / Margs to be found 5-6 PM nightly.

Too bad we didn't run into you guys, we were at CDM from 7/21 to 7/24.

Thinking about doing Palmar too.

Palmar is AWESOME. stayed there 2x on week long stays and going back in October. I could send you the condo #s we've rented later, I dont have time to look it up right now.

def sounds like the resort was just fine (i have stayed there once) and you unfortunately chose a property that was not what you were looking for.

hard to blame the resort for the type of guests that stay there and it is no secret it is not a "boutique" hotel. there are many that are wayyyy bigger but it is a fair size with ameneties that are for families with kids etc. we also are not interested in staying where there are lots of kids etc so we either stay elswhere or choose an adult only section if possible. that might be an option in the future for you to try

i have also stayed at casa del mar. comparing the two is like apples and oranges imho.

sorry you were disappointed. perhaps staying in a condo would be more to your liking? we use condos alot when travelling but have never done it on coz.

i hope the rest of your vacation was a good one !!
The vacation was great - and I agree with you 100%. This just wasn't the place for us.

Oh, and others have mentioned the elevators being down. It's still true that at least one elevator wasn't working. But being on the 2nd floor (which is actually the 3rd floor), and a beautiful staircase that goes only to that floor, it wasn't a big deal for us.

Palmar is AWESOME. stayed there 2x on week long stays and going back in October. I could send you the condo #s we've rented later, I dont have time to look it up right now.
Let's watch the 'roll call' and see when we overlap. Yes, if you can send me that info when you get a chance it would be great! We have booked at CDM through Booking.com because we can cancel at the last moment - and haven't need to cancel at the last moment - but throughout covid we've worried that would be an issue. We worry about booking Palmar because we'd be on the hook for it if something happened. In all our years of travel we've only ever canceled last minute once - a trip to the Keys (which was easily canceled without penalty) - because one of our dogs got bitten by a snake in the face (he's ok).

Thanks for posting- Is the waiter at Blue Angel a shorter gentleman? Pancho? It sounds like it, extremely kind, and I agree that is not a schtick, just his personality. I felt the same about all their employees.

Curious on your Jungle Divers experience- what boat(s) did you go out on?

Walking along the pathways people wouldn’t move to the side – it was expected that we would jump onto the grass for them to pass by. Maybe it was a ‘members mindset’?
What I usually do in such situations is just stop and stand there. I've gotten the stinkeye a couple of times but no one has ever tried to push me off the walk.

Of course, I wouldn't do that in NYC... :D

Thanks for posting- Is the waiter at Blue Angel a shorter gentleman? Pancho? It sounds like it, extremely kind, and I agree that is not a schtick, just his personality. I felt the same about all their employees.

Curious on your Jungle Divers experience- what boat(s) did you go out on?
I didn't get the name of the guy at Blue Angel - not a shorter guy - taller, young and slender. And super nice!

Jungle Divers goes out on a Charro boat - we were on the My Way for our morning dives. We did a sunset/night dive on another boat - Anita - not a Charro boat. And we did a shore dive on Tikila. The Charro boats are nice, and the crews are great too.

What I usually do in such situations is just stop and stand there. I've gotten the stinkeye a couple of times but no one has ever tried to push me off the walk.

Of course, I wouldn't do that in NYC... :D
i have been a small guy all my life. i bulked up on every kinda food i could eat (at least 6 meals a day) along with lifting weights 6 days a week for a long time. got up to about 205 - 210. it was nice to finally be one of those guys that others would move out of the way for. lol those days are long gone. i have a hard time getting off the couch now. :) so i am pretty easy to walk over.
i have done what you are suggesting. just stand there. people would be surprised how many idiots will actually walk right into you because they are so clueless of their surroundings.

DrRich – yes, they have a beach area but I didn’t pay much attention to it. We only went there one night when the buffet was served at the beachside restaurant.
The place felt like an amusement park – with tons of stuff for little kids to do. The pool and surrounding area was like a water park. The squealing of children was from dawn to dusk – and it was in the middle of the place. I wouldn’t have intentionally brought my children here because it was overstimulating for ME – my kids wouldn’t have done well here.
Appreciate the details you provided. My family came off a 7-day cruise aboard Royal Caribbean's Symphony of the Seas (huge) last Saturday. Often that week, on the ship or off, had a 'dull roar' in the background. A very good cruise (we have a 9-year old daughter), but not everyone's cup of tea.

And what you describe sounds much the same. A family with a kid might love some of that; people who don't like living in the middle of pre-pubertal chaos might not. Some divers had a kid in tow, and onsite entertainment for them is a big deal.

Being effectively shut out of the sit-down restaurants would be a bit turn off for many, especially if the buffet was just 'okay.'

While we were there probably 80% of the guests were Spanish speaking.
Were the staff generally proficient in English? Do you think a solely English-speaker not interested in socializing would find it an uncomfortable/awkward place to be?

I'm fairly social on ScubaBoard, but in person I'm more like our daughter's bearded dragon lizard; off to the side existing in its own world. Even for me, if most of the other people used a foreign (to me) language, that'd be a little off-putting; just that sense of not being able to passively monitor a bit of what's going on around me as well.

Took a look at what I assume is their website? Since membership appears to have its privileges, I ask this...membership in what? What does it cost? That's not clear to me.

Richard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom