Trip Report Grand Park Royal, July 15-24 & Jungle Divers (again!)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We’re discovering we like smaller properties where we can connect to other people. Because GPR was so large, and most of the guests speak Spanish and were traveling with extended families, we felt cut off from everyone around us. Always looking for new places to go though. Anyone been to Village Tan Koh? Thinking about doing Palmar too.

Dove with Jungle Divers – wonderful as always – see previous reviews.

I will post a separate review about my dental work ...

As I read the paragraph about liking smaller properties, I was mentally preparing a reply to see if you had ever considered Roberta's Village Tan Kah. We're not outgoing people but even we often find ourselves in group conversations with other guests in the outdoor breakfast area (covered) by the pool. You won't have onsite restaurants or entertainment though. It's a very quiet place and Roberta will be around often to see that all is well and will know your name quickly. More than once she has offered to take a bag of our laundry into town and returned it clean and folded at no charge other than the laundry cost.

Allegro had the same setup for the sit-down restaurants and as divers we were shut out. Silly that they can't just let you sign up at the front desk at any time. In fact, there oughta be an app for that.

As I read the paragraph about liking smaller properties, I was mentally preparing a reply to see if you had ever considered Roberta's Village Tan Kah. We're not outgoing people but even we often find ourselves in group conversations with other guests in the outdoor breakfast area (covered) by the pool. You won't have onsite restaurants or entertainment though. It's a very quiet place and Roberta will be around often to see that all is well and will know your name quickly. More than once she has offered to take a bag of our laundry into town and returned it clean and folded at no charge other than the laundry cost.

Allegro had the same setup for the sit-down restaurants and as divers we were shut out. Silly that they can't just let you sign up at the front desk at any time. In fact, there oughta be an app for that.
That's great to hear about Village Tan Koh (Kah?). We noticed folks coming over to Ernesto's from there one evening for dinner. It's a bit of a hike from Blue Angel for a meal, but then you won't feel so guilty about endulging! :wink: And there's Tikila and Paprika - and I suspect you can get meals at Casa del Mar even if you're not a guest. And there's the cruise ship mall just a little further south - they had a great little restaurant that served Mayan cuisine called Ix Kool. Very nice.

Were the staff generally proficient in English? Do you think a solely English-speaker not interested in socializing would find it an uncomfortable/awkward place to be?
No, the staff generally had difficulty with English - which is usually fine with me because I really want to work on my poor Spanish. But it did feel a bit shut out for that reason too.

When my kids were little we did Disney twice - it took a second time to discover JUST HOW MUCH I hated it. The next year we did a trip to Cape Cod and Vermont, where the kids fished from quiet docks, walked around small towns and had a fabulous time. My oldest was so easily overstimulated and then would become the WORST pain in the backside. I remember leaving Disney one night saying some pretty horrible curse words under my breath - about how I would never return (and we didn't). Maybe my son inherited the easily over stimulated stuff from me?!

Took a look at what I assume is their website? Since membership appears to have its privileges, I ask this...membership in what? What does it cost? That's not clear to me.
It's a timeshare, so I assume you purchase to a specific membership level. They also had a closed room set aside for members to make themselves a cappucino and play games or watch tv. I think the biggest bonus was getting their choice of dining. But maybe there is more and because I'm not a member, I wasn't made aware? I know we got a premium room - and there are only 10 of those (I think). So as an RCI point user I was getting a better room than most members - just not those other elusive perks.

Yep. Still discovering what we like. It's not about amenities like spa services or turndown services or special foods. What I value the most is good customer service and a personalized touch. Like the idea of the owner/manager knowing my name and asking how my dives were, or remembering that I really prefer cream rather than milk for my coffee (if available) - that's the special touch I'm looking for. I bring a camp mattress, assuming all beds will be bad - so I'm clearly not stuck on 5-star hotels. I just want to feel a connection to what is going on around me - to other guests and staff.

Yes, we always get a meal or two at CDM when staying at the villas. Taxis are always waiting there too.

When my kids were little we did Disney twice - it took a second time to discover JUST HOW MUCH I hated it.
We went last year (Walt Disney World in Florida); had a basically good time, but it entailed more walking around, and the sheer amount of research, planning and deliberate execution to make informed decisions was daunting. It seemed like a person ought to take a freshman (at least) level 3-hour college course on first timing Walt Disney World before planning a trip.

None of the dive destinations/trips I've researched has come close to that, not even the Galapagos. Planning our Royal Caribbean cruises was cake by comparison.

It's a timeshare, so I assume you purchase to a specific membership level.
What little I've read about time shares over the years left me with one message; Just say 'no.'

Their website mentioned registration with the Loyalty Experiences by Park Royal program is free, one can get an extra 8% off public rates, and there's a button to 'become a member.' Don't suppose that's the 'member' type they had in mind?

I just did a mock booking for 7 days Sat. - Sat. in June 2023 for my, wife and kid; for a Deluxe Nature View room it shows $1,719.50 (with option to unlock $1,581.94 Loyalty Experiences by Park Royal), and it says all-inclusive and "TAXES INCLUDED. 29 MX$ (1.50 US$) SANITATION FEE PER ROOM PER NIGHT TO PAY AT THE HOTEL" which doesn't sound bad to me if there's plenty of onsite entertainment for non-divers.

It's not clear to me just what all falls under the 'all-inclusive' package. Does it include any diving? If so, wonder what the details are?

Their website is pretty, but for researching info., I think it needs work.

Richard.

Yep. Still discovering what we like. It's not about amenities like spa services or turndown services or special foods. What I value the most is good customer service and a personalized touch. Like the idea of the owner/manager knowing my name and asking how my dives were, or remembering that I really prefer cream rather than milk for my coffee (if available) - that's the special touch I'm looking for. I bring a camp mattress, assuming all beds will be bad - so I'm clearly not stuck on 5-star hotels. I just want to feel a connection to what is going on around me - to other guests and staff.
It's not on the water (actually near the airport, a few blocks from La Perlita) and not fancy, but Casita de Maya is a little botique hotel that is great that way. Owner is on-site and makes your drinks, and asks about your day. The chef takes your breakfast order the night before and has it ready whenever you want to eat (with just-made tortillas). Dining area is small, so you just naturally talk with the other guests (only 8 rooms).

and I suspect you can get meals at Casa del Mar even if you're not a guest

Yes, and the grilled garlic shrimp is amazing!

What I value the most is good customer service and a personalized touch.

Casa Del Mar delivers time after time, Theres a reason I have stayed there so many times!

We went last year (Walt Disney World in Florida); had a basically good time

You're a better man than I am!!! lol

It's not clear to me just what all falls under the 'all-inclusive' package. Does it include any diving? If so, wonder what the details are?

Uh.... I don't know of a single place in Cz that includes scuba in their AI packages, but, I am sure someone will be along to correct me If I'm mistaken (this is scubaboard afterall) :rofl3:

No diving, as far as I know. We stayed in a regular room the first two nights, before we got into the upgraded room, and it was smallish and had a very bad view. The bathroom was fine. The beds were hard. The fridge was stocked with two cervesas and 4 different types of soft drinks - that's it. Same stuff in the upgraded room fridge though. I'll post pics of the other room now - for reference.

CAAE3257-70A4-4012-B4D5-09C2358607B5_1_105_c.jpeg

6F14B16E-B34B-44CD-8B5B-EFD12456B92A_1_105_c.jpeg
2C7BAC7F-AFB1-4AB5-B65F-7E2E701ED5BB_1_105_c.jpeg

BAB4B777-0D73-447B-9E00-8C65A645DB64_1_105_c.jpeg

Uh.... I don't know of a single place in Cz that includes scuba in their AI packages, but, I am sure someone will be along to correct me If I'm mistaken (this is scubaboard afterall) :rofl3:
IF you get the 'points' at Cozumel Palace, they can be used to purchase your diving. But that seems to be a big "IF" these days.

Cozumel Palace includes dive credit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom