Oriskany Sinking Today (May 17th)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I talked with someone who was out there and saw a jet ski - it wasn't launched from a yacht. He said it had 3 containers of gas bungeed to the jet ski.

ReefHound:
Um, this is an AIRCRAFT CARRIER. The ship is 888 feet long.

I just looked it up and it's 911' long. DOH! That will teach me to post when I'm in meetings. If I don't pay attention I can do some just plain dumb stuff. :)

Joe

mike_s:
Actually, they had to "environmentally dispose" of the teak deck.
The Teak Deck was removed because it was contaminated with PCB's, which leaked from aircraft hydralic systems. So the wood was destroyed long ago befure it was ever ripped up.

I think was later overlaid by a steel deck also at some point and time, which they had to remove also to remove the teak deck.

Now the real Thousand Dollar Question:

Has anyone heard if the Navy has stated if she's upright or lying on her side?

And now the guys that did the remediation have back yards full of solid teak outdoor furniture !!! :wink:

the K

I dunno but there was a boat strapped to the flightdeck that stayed there as the boat went down. It floated off once the deck was under the waterline.

so is it upright??!?!?!?!??

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom