Oriskany Sinking Today (May 17th)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SuPrBuGmAn:
I dunno but there was a boat strapped to the flightdeck that stayed there as the boat went down. It floated off once the deck was under the waterline.

the boat that was on the flight deck wasn't strapped. it was sitting there. it held the explosive detonation equipment and they intended it to float off as part of the sinking.

I don't understand why the Navy or someone didn't confirm yesterday if the ship was upright or not. It's a 900 foot long ship. You should be able to see the outline of it easily from a helicopter or put a pickle-bucket with a glass bottom in it. If you can see the ship, you can tell if it's upright or not.

Walter:
I've heard second or third hand (so take it for what it's worth) that side scan sonar has confirmed it's upright.

well, still no news anywhere

typical of the media to cover a story and leave out the single most important
detail to divers

Misplaced Priority:
Is that area prone to the same kind of ripping currents that you find on the Speigel Grove?

From what I understand the area they picked for the sinking is supposed to have none to very light currents.

Viper: I flew with your old man. VF-51, the Oriskany. You're a lot like he was. Only better... and worse. He was a natural heroic son of a ***** that one.

Maverick: So he DID do it right.

Viper: Yeah, he did it right... Is that why you fly the way you do? Trying to prove something? Yeah your old man did it right. What I'm about to tell you is classified. It could end my career. We were in the worst dogfight I ever dreamed of. There were bogeys like fireflies all over the sky. His F-4 was hit, and he was wounded, but he could've made it back. He stayed in it, saved three planes before he bought it.

Just got off the phone with MBT Divers in P-Cola -- they still don't know if she's upright yet.:11:

Though the guy on the phone did say that they have people out there right now who are supposed to report in as soon as they are within cell phone range of land.

...aaarrggg...the suspense....

lamont:
Viper: I flew with your old man. VF-51, the Oriskany. You're a lot like he was. Only better... and worse. He was a natural heroic son of a ***** that one.

Maverick: So he DID do it right.

Viper: Yeah, he did it right... Is that why you fly the way you do? Trying to prove something? Yeah your old man did it right. What I'm about to tell you is classified. It could end my career. We were in the worst dogfight I ever dreamed of. There were bogeys like fireflies all over the sky. His F-4 was hit, and he was wounded, but he could've made it back. He stayed in it, saved three planes before he bought it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lt. Harry Brubaker: I'm a lawyer from Denver, Colorado.
Mike Forney: Then what are you doing in a smelly ditch in Korea, Sir?
Lt. Harry Brubaker: I was just asking myself that same question.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RAdm. George Tarrant: Where do we get such men?

WetDawg:
Just got off the phone with MBT Divers in P-Cola -- they still don't know if she's upright yet.:11:

Though the guy on the phone did say that they have people out there right now who are supposed to report in as soon as they are within cell phone range of land.

...aaarrggg...the suspense....

As a somewhat related note.... for those of us planning on diving the site. I got calls from the site yesterday from someone who was a Sprint cell user. They said the other peoples other brand/vendor cells on the boat would not work that far out.

Just FYI if anyone wanted to know what brand/vendor cell phone worked on the site.

Sprint uses a different technology, which is usually useless unless you are in a city area, but it appears to work better at the Oriskany site. now with that said, it's was very poor quality call and the call was dropped several times also, so it's not perfect. I think overall we can expect very little ir not any cell coverage that far out.

or you could have a tiny tower, but on top of a really tall building

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom