Oriskany Sinking Today (May 17th)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sideband:
You couldn't see that in the video though. If the ship is 188' and the water is ~220' the water is deeper that the ship is long. If the stern was on the bottom then the bow was under water already. It would have been air holding it up at the end.

Joe

Um, this is an AIRCRAFT CARRIER. The ship is 888 feet long.

chairmanTARAC:
The Thousand Dollar Question. That wooden flight deck was made of Teak. Not Boards but Timbers. I am sure it wasn't destroyed in a land fill.Follow the money

True. Teak's nice wood.

chairmanTARAC:
The Thousand Dollar Question. That wooden flight deck was made of Teak. Not Boards but Timbers. I am sure it wasn't destroyed in a land fill.Follow the money

Actually, they had to "environmentally dispose" of the teak deck.
The Teak Deck was removed because it was contaminated with PCB's, which leaked from aircraft hydralic systems. So the wood was destroyed long ago befure it was ever ripped up.

I think was later overlaid by a steel deck also at some point and time, which they had to remove also to remove the teak deck.

Now the real Thousand Dollar Question:

Has anyone heard if the Navy has stated if she's upright or lying on her side?

not yet

speculation runs 90% in favor of it being upright
(but you know how that goes)

Navy divers are supposed to check on all the charges tomorrow, so we'll know then

She sank even and slowly at first, then the stern slipped down faster. She began listing to port, then the stern fell under, and she listed back starboard with he bow in the air and plunged down.

FWIW, LDS owner said he heard on the radio she settled upright.

It was awesome, I'll have a report as well as my own pics up tomorrow sometime. I'm exhausted tonight, hit a few dive sites on the way in and have some fish to clean :p

Expected sinking time was 5-10 hours, but they interviewed some of the demolition Navy guys in P'cola New Journal a few days/week(?) ago and they were taking bets on how fast she would go down. The guy they were interviewing in particular said his money was on 30 min sinking, someone obviously knew whats up :D

mike_s:
of course you've got to "love" the redneck in some people. 24 miles out is a long ride on a jet ski

Pic of a guy watching the sinking on his jet ski, 24 miles offshore
bilde

Lots and lots of big yachts onsite today with capabilities to launch jetskis and other tenders :)

SuPrBuGmAn:
Lots and lots of big yachts onsite today with capabilities to launch jetskis and other tenders :)

I saw a larger pic of that same guy, he was carrying 3 gas cans behind him!!

He was on the East side of the ship, same as us, but further away. If he drove that little thing out there, he's nuts. Seas picked up from 1-2 to 3-5' with bigger peaks at times by the time the O slipped under the surface.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom