Oriskany Sinking Today (May 17th)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wow... is that an awesome video or what?

i love it how that little boat just can't wait to float away

:wink:

it's like "that's NOT happening to me, man"

ReefHound:
I don't know what I am talking about. I was just giving my "impression" of it not a statement as to it's weight distribution. But on the water, it has a 30 foot draft to counter balance it.
Don't worry, I don't know what I'm talking about either. I could never see how it could sit on the bottome without topling over either. I am sure that there is some physics involved and, well, I am not that great at physics... :)

Chris

of course you've got to "love" the redneck in some people. 24 miles out is a long ride on a jet ski

Pic of a guy watching the sinking on his jet ski, 24 miles offshore
bilde

now a couple of those pictures don't look so hopeful. looks like almost a 30 degree list. hopefully it settled down and straightened out...

"$20 million later, we've got a reef"
"Despite cost, Navy happy with project"
Larry Wheeler
News Journal Washington bureau

WASHINGTON -- The final price tag for cleaning, berthing, studying, towing -- a lot of towing -- and finally sinking the decommissioned aircraft carrier Oriskany will top $20 million.

. . . . So far, the math is pretty simple. The Navy spent an estimated $21.07 million on the project. . . . Nearly $8 million was spent on environmental preparations alone, Glenn Clark, deputy program manager of the Inactive Fleet, said in an interview last fall.

About half of the money paid for an unexpected demolition of the carrier's wooden flight deck. The deck was found to be contaminated with PCBs that had been in the hydraulic fluid of the ship's original catapult system. PCBs -- polychlorinated biphenyls -- are highly toxic and can cause cancer.

About $6 million was spent stripping the aircraft carrier of almost everything but its steel skeleton.

Another $3 million was paid for towing and berthing. The Oriskany was moved several times in the past three years, including three trips between Texas and Pensacola.

The price of a single one-way tow between Pensacola and Beaumont, Texas, was $800,000, Navy officials reported last year.

The Navy also spent $4.1 million developing the Prospective Risk Assessment Model, a computer-assisted tool to measure the risk a sunken vessel may pose to the environment or human health. Navy engineers and scientists spent more than two years developing the system that predicts the transfer of PCBs left on board the ship to the underwater environment.

The Environmental Protection Agency granted the Navy a permit to scuttle the ship with an estimated 700 pounds of PCBs still on board in felt, gaskets, wiring, insulation and paint.

Navy officials said the risk assessment tool is an investment in the future and now can be used to assess the environmental risks of future ship reefing projects.

. . . .

The Thousand Dollar Question. That wooden flight deck was made of Teak. Not Boards but Timbers. I am sure it wasn't destroyed in a land fill.Follow the money

chairmanTARAC:
If you watch the video, The stern sank to the bottom rested and then the bow filled and settled. will be interesting to see final result. Thank you U. S. Navy, Escambia County, Robert Turpin and everyone who made this happen.
You couldn't see that in the video though. If the ship is 188' and the water is ~220' the water is deeper that the ship is long. If the stern was on the bottom then the bow was under water already. It would have been air holding it up at the end.
(I believe those were the numbers I read.)
Joe

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom