Oriskany Sinking Today (May 17th)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

well, so far all the rumours are pushing in the same direction, so...

pretty good news if it turns out to be true

Jim just got done diving it....

Top of the island 69'
Flightdeck 130'

from MBT

Andy,

I think we found our dive if you want to go over...

no kidding

i'm up for it

Are you gonna be on mix? If so, I think we need to add a third to the team. Otherwise I'll take a lean mix of EAN to 100-120 depending on conditions and comfort. I still have to deal with NDLs.

mike_s:
the boat that was on the flight deck wasn't strapped. it was sitting there. it held the explosive detonation equipment and they intended it to float off as part of the sinking.

I would think it was attached in someway as it didn't slide off while the ship listed. I know it was meant to float off. I heard it held equipment, but dunno if there were people onboard - if so, I'd imagine they were the last people on board! :)

Navy divers inspect Oriskany site
MELISSA NELSON
Associated Press
PENSACOLA, Fla. - Navy divers got the first underwater look at the USS Oriskany Thursday, reporting that the massive aircraft carrier made its way to the ocean floor a day earlier in an upright position facing north to south.

The divers began their inspection of the site Thursday and issued their first reports around noon EST, said Patrick Nichols, a spokesman for Pensacola Naval Air Station.

The divers said the Oriskany's flight deck was positioned at a depth of 150 feet as the ship settled into the sand.

The divers also reported that they could see the ship's tower from the surface, said Harry White, another spokesman for the base.

"They said it went down as the state requested in terms of orientation and all of those things," White said.

Divers reported that visibility underwater was 100 feet.

"We are very, very, pleased with that visibility," White said.

The site was expected to be opened for recreational diving Friday afternoon.

But Eilene Beard, a dive shop owner and Pensacola native who donated $25,000 in retirement savings to help the community promote the Oriskany project, said she wouldn't take customers to the site before Saturday because she didn't want to rush to get in dives before sundown Friday.

"We've had a lot of excitement here all day with divers who are ready to go and waiting for the reports," Beard said.

News of the 150-foot depth of the flight deck was a disappointment to Beard because it put the flight deck out of range for sport divers.

"The maximum sport diving depth is 132 feet and we'd hoped it wouldn't go below that, but there will be plenty of superstructure along the wheel house for sport divers," Beard said.

Divers who go beyond the 132-foot depth must be qualified in technical diving and breathe a combination of gases to reach the extended depths, she said.

The Navy sunk the massive Korean and Vietnam era aircraft carrier Wednesday morning 24 miles off the coast of Pensacola as a flotilla of boats filled with hundreds of Oriskany veterans watched. Many saluted as the Oriskany dipped below the ocean.

The ship, known as the "Mighty O" was the first warship sunk under a pilot program to dispose of old Navy vessels through reefing. The $20 million sinking was delayed for nearly two years by hurricanes and environmental permitting problems.

Pensacola leaders hope the sinking will provide an economic infusion by luring sport divers and fishermen.

The Oriskany, commissioned in 1950 and named after an American Revolutionary War battle, saw duty during the Korean War and was home to John McCain when the Navy pilot and future senator served in Vietnam. It was also among the ships used by President Kennedy in a show of force during the 1962 Cuban missile crisis. It was decommissioned in 1976.

So they originally posted on MBT forum that the depth was 150' to the flight deck. Poster said source was Navy CIV I think. Then MBT posted that the depth was 130' on the same forum.

here's a news story the Navy says it's 150' to the flight deck

from http://www.pensacolanewsjournal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060518/NEWS01/60518014/1006

UPDATE: Oriskany settled as planned
From the Pensacola Naval Air Station Public Affairs Office:

U.S. Navy Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) divers have confirmed that the ex-Oriskany is sitting upright in the north-south orientation as requested by the state. The flight deck is at 150 feet depth as the ship settled into the sand.

Also from http://www.bradenton.com/mld/bradenton/news/breaking_news/14612106.htm

Navy divers inspect Oriskany site
MELISSA NELSON
Associated Press
PENSACOLA, Fla. - Navy divers got the first underwater look at the USS Oriskany Thursday, reporting that the massive aircraft carrier made its way to the ocean floor a day earlier in an upright position facing north to south.

The divers began their inspection of the site Thursday and issued their first reports around noon EST, said Patrick Nichols, a spokesman for Pensacola Naval Air Station.

The divers said the Oriskany's flight deck was positioned at a depth of 150 feet as the ship settled into the sand.

The divers also reported that they could see the ship's tower from the surface, said Harry White, another spokesman for the base.

"They said it went down as the state requested in terms of orientation and all of those things," White said.

Divers reported that visibility underwater was 100 feet.

"We are very, very, pleased with that visibility," White said.

The site was expected to be opened for recreational diving Friday afternoon.

But Eilene Beard, a dive shop owner and Pensacola native who donated $25,000 in retirement savings to help the community promote the Oriskany project, said she wouldn't take customers to the site before Saturday because she didn't want to rush to get in dives before sundown Friday.

"We've had a lot of excitement here all day with divers who are ready to go and waiting for the reports," Beard said.

News of the 150-foot depth of the flight deck was a disappointment to Beard because it put the flight deck out of range for sport divers.

"The maximum sport diving depth is 132 feet and we'd hoped it wouldn't go below that, but there will be plenty of superstructure along the wheel house for sport divers," Beard said.

Divers who go beyond the 132-foot depth must be qualified in technical diving and breathe a combination of gases to reach the extended depths, she said.

The Navy sunk the massive Korean and Vietnam era aircraft carrier Wednesday morning 24 miles off the coast of Pensacola as a flotilla of boats filled with hundreds of Oriskany veterans watched. Many saluted as the Oriskany dipped below the ocean.

The ship, known as the "Mighty O" was the first warship sunk under a pilot program to dispose of old Navy vessels through reefing. The $20 million sinking was delayed for nearly two years by hurricanes and environmental permitting problems.

Pensacola leaders hope the sinking will provide an economic infusion by luring sport divers and fishermen.

The Oriskany, commissioned in 1950 and named after an American Revolutionary War battle, saw duty during the Korean War and was home to John McCain when the Navy pilot and future senator served in Vietnam. It was also among the ships used by President Kennedy in a show of force during the 1962 Cuban missile crisis. It was decommissioned in 1976.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom