Oriskany Sinking Today (May 17th)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nemrod:
Why do they have to use a single 80?

No one is saying the *have* to, but from what I can see, many recreational divers rent tanks, and the AL80 seems to be the rental tank of choice.

PerroneFord:
Man, 140ft is DEEEP for anyone on a single tank. Thats a LOT of water overhead.

oh yes... that's not a dive i'd do on a single AL 80:

this is my rock bottom (enough gas to get me and my buddy to the surface
should he have a total gas failure), calculated as follows:

descent gas: getting down to 140 feet (at 50 fpm): 9 cf.

2 minutes at 140 fsw to sort the problem: 16cf
1 minute to ascend to 110 fsw: 9 cf
1 minute to ascend to 80 fsw: 7 cf
1 minute to ascend to 50 fsw: 6 cf
1 minute to ascend to 30 feet: 4 cf
1 minute stop at 30 feet: 3 cf
1 minute ascent to 20 feet: 3 cf
1 minute stop at 20 feet: 3 cf
1 minute ascent to 10 feet: 3 cf
3 minute stop at 10 feet: 6 cf

total rock bottom gas: 60 cf.

total descent and resrve gas: 69 cf.

that leaves me 11 cf to actually use at 140 feet on an AL 80, which for me is shy of a 3 minute dive (i.e. not gonna happen).

to dive to the max of my NDL with 26% O2 at 140 feet (10 minutes), I'd need
an additional 31 cf (for a total of 42 cf bottom gas).

so, to make a dive to 140 feet for 10 minutes, i'd need a minimum of 111 cf.

that suggests a steel 120 tank.

of course, that doesn't even address whether i'd want to go down to 140 feet
on nitrox to begin with (being a narcosis wus)

I'm kicking around the idea of planning a tech trip to dive the big "O" this summer. 140 is perfect for a fairly conservative technical dive - anyone recommend any operators in the area that would be available for charter? What's the minimum # of divers you think? 6? 8? More? Approx cost?

D.

Well, I guess where I part is that I would insist that if (IF) I had a buddy that buddy have their own reducndant air supply (when talking about 150 foot dives) and in that way I would under no circumstance have to share my air or vice versa. If there were a failure of the main system, swap to the slung bottle and or isolate with the manifold (or seperate doubles) and abort the dive. This way there is no need to haul "gas" around for anyone but yourself. You must understand, the world is not DIR and some folks even if not solo believe in self suffciency. Just a different approach to deep diving to reduce the clutter and cluster--.

It would have been better if they had cut the island off and set it beside the hull and put the whole darn thing in about 110 feet of water instead of 230. Diving 150 feet is like riding Ninja 1000s at 100 MPH in heavy traffic, yeah, you can get away with it most of the time but darn if it don't hurt really bad when you don't happen to get away with it. This thing is going to settle another ten feet into the sand I betcha. N

Nemrod:
Well, I guess where I part is that I would insist that if (IF) I had a buddy that buddy have their own reducndant air supply (when talking about 150 foot dives)

well, having a redundant air supply takes it out of single tank territory, which
is the scenario i was addressing

even with redundant air supply (say doubles), you still should plan on providing
emergency air to your buddy. if for whatever reason you have to do that,
either he'll end up dead or you both will end up dead if you don't have sufficient
reserves (think rules of thirds in cave diving, which apply even with redundant
air supply)

Someone mentioned that there were cameras positioned on the ship to record it going down. Any word on where you can view these?

As stated before in one of these "O" boat threads....the primary mission of this sinking is for fishing....the location was picked for the required clearance and the close proximity to deep water....I have been told that you can on a single tank swim to a step down to 600ft from the stern...this is supposed to attract the big boys coming in from the deep....diving is a distant second reason for the sinking..the island is big and if you use some smarts you can do two or three dives on the island and never get below 100ft if you wanted to....of course it will be a rite of passage for most to say they went to the deck and most will do just fine doing it, a few won't due to luck and or gene pool math along with a helping of Murphy.you know he is going to be there....

I have posted a number of good Oriskany pics on my photo album here on Scubaboard. I had some taken with my camera from one of the tugs. A Friend got me better pics from the helicopter. see my photo album. MK

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom