Loss of my Father aka CMAN 6/9/19

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jared0425

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have put off posting this for awhile. Mostly for personal reasons and privacy, but as divers we have to analyze what goes wrong and how to prevent it. Never in my lifetime would I have thought I would be posting this on the most dreaded forum in this website. However here we go...

My father Jerry Daniel (CMAN), myself and 2 other dives buddies were doing our first lake dives of the year. We were in Lake Huron off Port Sanilac doing a tugboat in 90ft of water. Water temp was 46°.

Dive plan was for the 3 divers (father and his two buddies) to do 1 single tank dive and I would watch the boat. Then do my deco dive on an overturned freighter by myself during their surface interval and hook up mooring lines as they had yet to be put out for the season.

My father was 64, overweight and rarely saw a doctor. His two dives buddies are both in their 60s also. However my father never had any trouble with his health so we didn't have much to worry about on that end.

Great Lakes diving requires drysuits and heavier equipment plus they had on large steel tanks (100s and 120s). Anyways I help my father get geared up and he said now he had to go to the bathroom but he'd wait until after the dive. He gears up and gets in. No problem, he gives me the double tap on head OK signal and waits. His second dive buddy does the same. The third dive buddy jumps in and his dry glove instantly begins to leak.

My father and the one buddy decide to wait at the front of the boat at the mooring line. For a couple minutes I'm messing with this guys cheap ass dry gloves where the fabric keeps wrecking the seal when I hear a bunch of shouting up at the bow. I walk over and see my father who's face is bright red struggling to stay afloat. He says "I cant get any air!" I scream inflate your BC and suit and he just stares at me.

I run to the back of the boat for a dock line and throw it back to him when I get to the bow again. I now know something is seriously wrong as his entire weight is on the dock line. I tell his buddy to keep his head above water and get him to the back of the swim platform and getting up. His head goes under water a few times and I scream for the buddy to keep his head up as I tow him the 34ft to the back. His face is all purple at this point and he is gulping for air.

I shout drop his weights (on a harness) but the buddy apparently didnt hear me. On the back of our boat was a brand new electric dive ladder with a 3×2 platform. The plan was to get him on that and raise him up. The one dive buddy that I was helping get his glove on decided to take his fins off and leave everything else on. Needless to say it turned into a cluster very quick.

Since nobody was listening to what I was saying I jumped in with all my clothes on into the cold water. I dropped his weights and tank and let them sink to the bottom and got onto the lowered platform with my arms locked under his to keeps his head above water. The other dive buddies are trying to push him up and I say get your gear off and and keep your fins on. Finally the one diver who took his fins off gets completely degear'd and I have him hold my father at the back. I rush to the generator to start it up to run the ladder platform. I then jump back in and get him ready to go up.

Unfortunately the weight of 3 people on the ladder causes it to short out and we blow the breaker. At this time my dad went to purple to gray, and I knew he was probably gone. Unfortunately being with older divers and me being the youngest by far, left me as the only one physically capable of getting him back up manually.

I tell the other two to use the regular Christmas tree ladder and get geared down and then help me get him back up. This took about 3 minutes or so. Finally with me standing on the submerged platform and those 2 pulling up, we got him onto the swim platform. I ripped both of my rotator cuffs getting him back into the boat proper. I knew he was gone but I had to try.

I begin CPR and mouth to mouth for approximately 2 minutes. The other two do not know how to start and drive the boat so I have them take over.

A small detail, we had a large oxygen kit onboard. However during the prior season the one dive buddy suffered a heart attack and it was depleted on him. We did not get it back in time for this dove trip.

I get the boat started up and I disconnect from our mooring. I radio a mayday to the CG informing them that we have a diver emergency and need personnel at the dock. We were very fortunate that a boat nearby had an off duty EMT. The boat was a few miles away in the direction in which we were going.

Because of the blown fuse the platform was still submerged but I had no choice but to gun it as I thought every second mattered. Withing 200 yards of gunning it, the platform broke free. We got the main generator started (I used the portable Honda the first time) and lashed it together.

Once again we were underway I got radio chatter that the boat was coming in from port quarter and requested that we slow down so the EMT jumped aboard. With this accomplished I told him that no O2 was onboard but maybe we could use a reg to blast air into his lungs. This was done, the EMT also said that we needed to cut away his drysuit (an expensive one). It took approximately a half hour to reach harbor as we were intercepted by another boat with full paramedic gear and team.

I took the boat into the boat launch were a ambulance was waiting for us. It was difficult with my fathers weight to get him off but they did. The other guys said that they would dock the boat for me and get in my car (soaking wet with my keys and phone ruined), and follow it to the nearest hospital.

While on my way there I used my fathers cell phone to make the most painful phone call to my mother about what happened. 15 minutes later I reach the hospital and they pronounced him deceased. Where once again I had to make another painful phone call to my mother and sister relaying the news.

No autopsy was done, and i used my clout to suppress the story in the papers. I was highly embarrassed as the people who came out to help us were colleagues of mine at the neighboring county sheriffs office. To have another sheriff diver lose his partner in his arms back in 2011 and then his father the same way in 2019 is a humiliation that was hard to bare. As being in public safety I should have been more prepared. I almost left the department after that. But as of now I am still on as the sonar operator.

My father was a donor and they saw that one of his arteries was mostly blocked and they suspect "the widowmaker" or possibly a stomach aneurism. I have not been back in the water since. However I am not hanging up my guns yet

So lessons that I learned:
I will no longer dive with divers older than 55
I will no longer dive with divers that are overweight.
I will not have divers on my boat or go on a boat myself that does not have functioning O2.
This is a repeat of many stories here on this forum of divers thinking that they are still ok to dive even when the risks are mounted against them. I see how many errors were committed by both myself l, my father, and our diving companions.

I hope that all of you reading this know the broken record saying of dive healthy and dive smart. See your doctor regularly especially as we get older. Keep your weight down. Know when it's time to stop. And know or know what to expect of your dive buddies and boat crew when sh!t goes horribly south.

Jared,
I'm sorry for your loss, losing your father is a horrible shock and the pain takes a very long time to diminish, it's been almost 2 years and I still think of him every day.

I would change your rules for future dives though:
BMI over 25 > not on your boat
Age over 55 why? The peak age for heart attacks/heart failure starts much earlier, like between 35 and 45. Do you really want to exclude all middle aged divers?
Smoker > not on your boat
O2 is a must have.
Get a defibrillator and keep it in good working order accessable at the bridge or any other location quickly accessable to all.
Always have at least 2 persons on the boat who have current (within the last year) long (16hrs.) First Aid courses.
Phones should stay at the bridge, if you're walking around the boat with a phone you might get distracted.

Michael

Thank you for posting, it would of been a tough decision. It just shows how problems compound under a high stress situation.

Thanks for posting, a terrible situation, but one that you should not blame yourself for. I doubt that having oxygen would have helped and even if the lift had worked okay, it was probably too late anyway. I think rather than look at banning divers over 60 (as I am) or overweight, perhaps making sure that divers are competent in how they react to situations. Virtually everyone I dive with is over 60, but I am sure that we will react better than much younger and less experienced divers (I have had personally experience of this unfortunately).

Hope you get back into diving quickly, I know that I and others involved in a tragic death went diving two days later to make sure we were coping okay.

Jared,
I'm sorry for your loss, losing your father is a horrible sBMI over 25 > not on your boat
Age over 55 why? The peak age for heart attacks/heart failure starts much earlier, like between 35 and 45. Do you really want to exclude all middle aged divers?
Smoker > not on your boat
O2 is a must have.
Get a defibrillator and keep it in good working order accessable at the bridge or any other location quickly accessable to all.
Always have at least 2 persons on the boat who have current (within the last year) long (16hrs.) First Aid courses.
Phones should stay at the bridge, if you're walking around the boat with a phone you might get distracted.

Michael

BMI is a pretty poor measure for determining overall wellness. By BMI I’m clearly in the obese category, but I can bench press 125% of my body weight and deadlift 200%. Am I not allowed on the boat?

If you’re worried about health related to being overweight, just measure people’s waists. If it’s over 40 inches, that’s a much bigger indicator than BMI.

I have put off posting this for awhile. Mostly for personal reasons and privacy, but as divers we have to analyze what goes wrong and how to prevent it. Never in my lifetime would I have thought I would be posting this on the most dreaded forum in this website. However here we go...

My father Jerry Daniel (CMAN), myself and 2 other dives buddies were doing our first lake dives of the year. We were in Lake Huron off Port Sanilac doing a tugboat in 90ft of water. Water temp was 46°.

Dive plan was for the 3 divers (father and his two buddies) to do 1 single tank dive and I would watch the boat. Then do my deco dive on an overturned freighter by myself during their surface interval and hook up mooring lines as they had yet to be put out for the season.

My father was 64, overweight and rarely saw a doctor. His two dives buddies are both in their 60s also. However my father never had any trouble with his health so we didn't have much to worry about on that end.

Great Lakes diving requires drysuits and heavier equipment plus they had on large steel tanks (100s and 120s). Anyways I help my father get geared up and he said now he had to go to the bathroom but he'd wait until after the dive. He gears up and gets in. No problem, he gives me the double tap on head OK signal and waits. His second dive buddy does the same. The third dive buddy jumps in and his dry glove instantly begins to leak.

My father and the one buddy decide to wait at the front of the boat at the mooring line. For a couple minutes I'm messing with this guys cheap ass dry gloves where the fabric keeps wrecking the seal when I hear a bunch of shouting up at the bow. I walk over and see my father who's face is bright red struggling to stay afloat. He says "I cant get any air!" I scream inflate your BC and suit and he just stares at me.

I run to the back of the boat for a dock line and throw it back to him when I get to the bow again. I now know something is seriously wrong as his entire weight is on the dock line. I tell his buddy to keep his head above water and get him to the back of the swim platform and getting up. His head goes under water a few times and I scream for the buddy to keep his head up as I tow him the 34ft to the back. His face is all purple at this point and he is gulping for air.

I shout drop his weights (on a harness) but the buddy apparently didnt hear me. On the back of our boat was a brand new electric dive ladder with a 3×2 platform. The plan was to get him on that and raise him up. The one dive buddy that I was helping get his glove on decided to take his fins off and leave everything else on. Needless to say it turned into a cluster very quick.

Since nobody was listening to what I was saying I jumped in with all my clothes on into the cold water. I dropped his weights and tank and let them sink to the bottom and got onto the lowered platform with my arms locked under his to keeps his head above water. The other dive buddies are trying to push him up and I say get your gear off and and keep your fins on. Finally the one diver who took his fins off gets completely degear'd and I have him hold my father at the back. I rush to the generator to start it up to run the ladder platform. I then jump back in and get him ready to go up.

Unfortunately the weight of 3 people on the ladder causes it to short out and we blow the breaker. At this time my dad went to purple to gray, and I knew he was probably gone. Unfortunately being with older divers and me being the youngest by far, left me as the only one physically capable of getting him back up manually.

I tell the other two to use the regular Christmas tree ladder and get geared down and then help me get him back up. This took about 3 minutes or so. Finally with me standing on the submerged platform and those 2 pulling up, we got him onto the swim platform. I ripped both of my rotator cuffs getting him back into the boat proper. I knew he was gone but I had to try.

I begin CPR and mouth to mouth for approximately 2 minutes. The other two do not know how to start and drive the boat so I have them take over.

A small detail, we had a large oxygen kit onboard. However during the prior season the one dive buddy suffered a heart attack and it was depleted on him. We did not get it back in time for this dove trip.

I get the boat started up and I disconnect from our mooring. I radio a mayday to the CG informing them that we have a diver emergency and need personnel at the dock. We were very fortunate that a boat nearby had an off duty EMT. The boat was a few miles away in the direction in which we were going.

Because of the blown fuse the platform was still submerged but I had no choice but to gun it as I thought every second mattered. Withing 200 yards of gunning it, the platform broke free. We got the main generator started (I used the portable Honda the first time) and lashed it together.

Once again we were underway I got radio chatter that the boat was coming in from port quarter and requested that we slow down so the EMT jumped aboard. With this accomplished I told him that no O2 was onboard but maybe we could use a reg to blast air into his lungs. This was done, the EMT also said that we needed to cut away his drysuit (an expensive one). It took approximately a half hour to reach harbor as we were intercepted by another boat with full paramedic gear and team.

I took the boat into the boat launch were a ambulance was waiting for us. It was difficult with my fathers weight to get him off but they did. The other guys said that they would dock the boat for me and get in my car (soaking wet with my keys and phone ruined), and follow it to the nearest hospital.

While on my way there I used my fathers cell phone to make the most painful phone call to my mother about what happened. 15 minutes later I reach the hospital and they pronounced him deceased. Where once again I had to make another painful phone call to my mother and sister relaying the news.

No autopsy was done, and i used my clout to suppress the story in the papers. I was highly embarrassed as the people who came out to help us were colleagues of mine at the neighboring county sheriffs office. To have another sheriff diver lose his partner in his arms back in 2011 and then his father the same way in 2019 is a humiliation that was hard to bare. As being in public safety I should have been more prepared. I almost left the department after that. But as of now I am still on as the sonar operator.

My father was a donor and they saw that one of his arteries was mostly blocked and they suspect "the widowmaker" or possibly a stomach aneurism. I have not been back in the water since. However I am not hanging up my guns yet

So lessons that I learned:
I will no longer dive with divers older than 55
I will no longer dive with divers that are overweight.
I will not have divers on my boat or go on a boat myself that does not have functioning O2.
This is a repeat of many stories here on this forum of divers thinking that they are still ok to dive even when the risks are mounted against them. I see how many errors were committed by both myself l, my father, and our diving companions.

I hope that all of you reading this know the broken record saying of dive healthy and dive smart. See your doctor regularly especially as we get older. Keep your weight down. Know when it's time to stop. And know or know what to expect of your dive buddies and boat crew when sh!t goes horribly south.

Jared, I'm so terribly sorry to hear of this. What a difficult thing to share with us. Losing a father is painful enough on its own. You did all that you could have done. You were one man responsible for your father and apparently 2 other divers.

I know this is going to sound odd but I very often wish that my father had died in my arms.

You were blessed to have such a good relationship with him.

Take care of yourself.

Jared, I am so sorry for your loss and only lots of time will help. Thank you for sharing your story and maybe it will help to prevent someone else from making the same errors. Regarding your decision on who can and cannot dive with you on your boat, it's your boat and your decision. I'm 69 and dive regularly, not overweight and don't smoke, but, it's your boat and I understand. Thanks again for sharing the event.

Jared, as someone that lost their father earlier this year, I can understand some of your pain. Thank you for doing what must have been a very, very difficult post. As an older diver, I know that these types of conversations should be had with family, dive buddies and other divers. I hope by posting your post may help lead to some closure for you and your family. Again, condolences on your loss.

I'm very sorry for your loss. That had to be very frustrating (probably the wrong word) for you as it sounds like anything that could go wrong did go wrong at the most inopportune time.

Back
Top Bottom