Loss of my Father aka CMAN 6/9/19

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Jared0425 , Thank you for sharing your story. It must've been extremely difficult. It truly illustrates just how difficult a rescue is and the importance of little details in being ready. I hope you get back in the water soon.

Very sorry for your loss. The description of all the delays, problems, coordination and communication failures which arose during this event was described well and I can see how each one of these situations could develop.

The inability/failure of the dive buddies to immediately drop his lead in this type of emergency is particularly instructive to me. It reinforces my personal opinion about how important it is to be able to easily drop weights. However, as you described, in this particular situation, a medical event might have made the situation unrecoverable, regardless of other circumstances and efforts made by everyone.

I'm sure writing this all up has been extremely difficult. Thanks for doing so.

I am so sorry for your loss Jared. My condolences to you and your family.

I'm so sorry for your loss,
but I am left in deep respect at how you handled the situation.

If I am ever in danger, I can only hope to have someone respond so quickly and professionally as you did. The way you responded to the signs of distress, jumped in personally when it was clear it was necessary, even tearing your rotator cuffs to make the rescue possible, then managing CPR, coordinating the scene, communicating for help, and reacting to equipment issues like the ladder, shows an unbelievable and heroic response.

I can't tell you not to feel bad, I have never been put in that type of situation, but I hope you are able to feel at peace with your response soon.

I would be honored to dive with you, and hope you are able to get back in the water soon.

I'm very sorry for your loss. Thank you for the time and courage it must have taken to write this post.

Jared, I am very sorry for your loss. I lost a good friend and dive buddy many years ago off the coast of Virginia Beach and one of the things that stuck with me over the years is just how difficult it is to recover an unconscious diver (especially when the sea state is less than optimal). This was on a big boat with a lot more people on board than in your case and it still took way too long to recover the stricken diver, get his gear off and start CPR. Anybody diving offshore would do well to keep this in mind when making that go/no-go decision especially when the weather looks iffy.

it still took way too long to recover the stricken diver, get his gear off and start CPR.
I have always been taught to drop the gear as soon as possible and many times that might be on the surface. Trying to get a diver with gear on into a boat, to me seems quite difficult and a waste of precious time. Gear can be replaced.. Maybe I just misunderstood you.

I have always been taught to drop the gear as soon as possible and many times that might be on the surface. Trying to get a diver with gear on into a boat, to me seems quite difficult and a waste of precious time. Gear can be replaced.. Maybe I just misunderstood you.
That certainly makes it easier. I had the order wrong in my post so any misunderstanding was my fault. In the accident where my friend was lost they actually did remove his gear in the water, but while they were down (approx 90 min runtime) seas had kicked up to 5-6'. I think the estimate from LOC to CPR initiation was about 10 minutes and rescuers had a very difficult time keeping his head above water before getting him back onboard. USCG chopper response was, understandably, much longer (over an hour).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom