Ordering two BM O2ptima's with Nerd 2's need help with Options

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zebra 1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
We are ordering mount Optima's with Nerd 2's

Nerd 2 questions:
Can (and should) we order the Nerd 2's as a controllers? Later down the road we will be ordering the CM parts to convert when traveling overseas, some users prefer using the Nerd 2 controller on the CM. I assume if we order the Nerd's as controllers they will still function as a monitor only. Would also be nice to have a backup controller. Is there a large cost difference between the two?

Backplate vs Transpac:
I have a scooter harness from Logic Dive Gear that wraps around my legs like a tree climbing harness, really needed when scootering at full power so I think a backplate for me. Has anyone dove both? Pro's Cons's?

Bail out bottle placement:
Eventually (after plenty of hours on the loop) we will be spearfishing. Keeping our chest area clear is important for us, does anyone back mount BO? Side mount? I assume a back plate would also be helpful here. Would love some feedback.

Spearfishing on a rebreather? That's illegal in most places. Plus I am not sure how enjoyable it would be for you to constantly and suddenly change depth on a rebreather, run after a fish with the bailout on your side, deal with the task load, and a rebreather will likely make you very attractive to a shark, once you started catching fishes and had no bubbles around you.
I understand you are looking for an easy way to catch fishes, but I would recommend looking more into rebreathers before going ahead.

NERD2 as controller, definitely recommend. You don't get backup controllers though, they are either monitors or controllers. Monitors are essentially universal, controllers are unit specific *i.e. the monitors work on most all DiveCAN rebreathers, but the controllers for yours will only work on O2ptimas. Unsure about the cost, but if you are getting a NERD2, I would get it as a controller, especially if you plan on using them chestmount.

Transpacs are designed for crotch straps as well, so it is personal preference, but I usually prefer backplates, having started with a Transpac as my first BCD in college and I still have a couple for sidemount, but all of my backmount stuff is done with backplates.

You can't really backmount bailout with an O2ptima, so you'll have to sidemount it. Transpac and the backplates are equally capable, though check the legality of spearing on a CCR, it's illegal in most state waters so you have to head out to federal waters to do it.

The O2ptima comes with a Shearwater Petrel Controller and we are adding Nerds in place of the HUD.
If we order the Nerds as controllers will they still function as monitors only?

I don't know what the cost difference is between a Nerd controller vs a Nerd monitor.

We would only spearfish in federal waters and in state waters for lionfish where legal.

The O2ptima comes with a Shearwater Petrel Controller and we are adding Nerds in place of the HUD.
If we order the Nerds as controllers will they still function as monitors only?

I don't know what the cost difference is between a Nerd controller vs a Nerd monitor.

We would only spearfish in federal waters and in state waters for lionfish where legal.

What is DiveCAN® and why should I care? - Shearwater Research
Read that.

If you order it with a NERD controller, it will replace the Petrel controller and will be on the SOLO board controlling the solenoid. If you got a second monitor device, then it would replace the HUD on the OBOE and act as a monitor.

There is a different connector for SOLO and OBOE on the units so you can't swap them back and forth

Not to derail this thread, but what about the ethics of spear fishing on CCR?

Sorry if I sound harsh but....

Isn't this questions that your trainer/dealer will answer best?

Sorry if I sound harsh but....

Isn't this questions that your trainer/dealer will answer best?

not necessarily. Many/most instructors don't understand how the DiveCAN actually works, and even fewer are aware that you can get it with a NERD2 controller...
The vast majority do not know how to carry bailout bottles properly either which is infuriating

Back
Top Bottom