Ordering two BM O2ptima's with Nerd 2's need help with Options

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@stuartv with the chest mount it is designed to be unclipped and pushed in front of you. Minimizing cables running from the unit to your arm is really nice with sidemount rebreathers.... If I were running it as a CM and wanted redundant monitors I'd have NERD controller and blinky HUD so the unit wasn't tied to my body with any wires that I'd have to remove.
Blinky HUD would be under the NERD flush to the dsv/bov for me. Irritating with an OVF, probably but that's a different use case.

Are you talking about running the CM as your only CCR? Or as a BOB?

If you're talking about as your only, then would you (do you) run a BM or SM CCR with only a controller and a blinky HUD? I feel like I would only be comfortable with that config for purely NDL dives.

If the blinky HUD was on the same side as the NERD, under it, then I don't think it would matter to the OVF.

Are you talking about running the CM as your only CCR? Or as a BOB?

If you're talking about as your only, then would you (do you) run a BM or SM CCR with only a controller and a blinky HUD? I feel like I would only be comfortable with that config for purely NDL dives.

If the blinky HUD was on the same side as the NERD, under it, then I don't think it would matter to the OVF.

doesn't matter with primary or bob.
My Meg technically has a controller, predator monitor and blinky hud, but the controller is useless and every meg diver just tucks it away once you set the setpoint unless things go sideways. They're reading the same cells so as long as they agree with each other it's fine. With the blinky hud on the DiveCAN it's coming off of the OBOE so the only thing you can't see is the mV readings of the cells, but again, it should reconcile with the NERD so I don't know what you're gaining by having a screen.

If you're using it as a BOB then you have to have a standalone computer for deco or you're hot swapping something on the OBOE side so even less of an argument to not just running blinky hud and controller

If you're using it as a BOB then you have to have a standalone computer for deco or you're hot swapping something on the OBOE side so even less of an argument to not just running blinky hud and controller

If it's a BOB, why not set it for constant PO2 mode and let it ride like that until such time as you switch to it and start breathing off it? So, no need for a standalone computer. Maybe you can't do that with a NERD that is a controller...? If that's how it is, maybe Shearwater needs to add a mode for CC/CC BO (versus what they have now which is CC/BO, which is OC for the BO). The BOB would stay in CC/CC BO mode (i.e. fixed SP mode) until you start breathing on it.

I run the CM with the NERD2 as the controller and the blinky light hud clipped off where it’s out of my field of vision then a stand alone Perdix for the unit. I can get the HUD immediately should I need to. If in BO the loop gets clipped to the unit and the NERD is still easily accessible.

I have lots of dives 100M+ with this configuration. One of the biggest benefits of the CM unit is the amount of deep BO/Dil you can carry easily as compared to 4-5 single AL80s with a BM unit.

Keep in mind this is not necessarily the best configuration for a cave environment but for deep OW diving this has been my go to configuration.

I run the CM with the NERD2 as the controller and the blinky light hud clipped off where it’s out of my field of vision then a stand alone Perdix for the unit. I can get the HUD immediately should I need to. If in BO the loop gets clipped to the unit and the NERD is still easily accessible.

I have lots of dives 100M+ with this configuration. One of the biggest benefits of the CM unit is the amount of deep BO/Dil you can carry easily as compared to 4-5 single AL80s with a BM unit.

That does seem like a solid benefit. But, for diving that deep, why not BM and CM CCRs (one for BO), with redundant O2, dil, and inflation gas? I think the CM carries an O2 cylinder in it? The BM CCR would carry 2 cylinders. So, you would be left to carry 3 additional cylinders somehow. Those could all be pretty small, though, right? So, maybe a BM CCR with standard dil/O2 config, plus an inflation gas cylinder hung on one side of the unit. Then, the CM carrying its O2, with an AL40 of dil and an AL40 of inflation gas (or smaller) slung on either or both sides?

That does seem like a solid benefit. But, for diving that deep, why not BM and CM CCRs (one for BO), with redundant O2, dil, and inflation gas? I think the CM carries an O2 cylinder in it? The BM CCR would carry 2 cylinders. So, you would be left to carry 3 additional cylinders somehow. Those could all be pretty small, though, right? So, maybe a BM CCR with standard dil/O2 config, plus an inflation gas cylinder hung on one side of the unit. Then, the CM carrying its O2, with an AL40 of dil and an AL40 of inflation gas (or smaller) slung on either or both sides?

It is in the works but adds a lot of complexity especially in a dive where you can make a direct ascent to surface (hitting deco stops obviously).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom