Opinions on buying new vs. used equipment?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

if you have plenty of money, maybe buying everything new doesn't make you blink. If things are tighter & what you spend of gear means dives you won't get to go on, not so much.

halemanō;5498387:
OK, I'm one of the committed dive gear cheapskates but your math seems questionable.

Let's just assume a diver has their own mask, snorkel, fins (booties?) and timing device.

The LDS I rent student gear from has the following prices for "walk-in" certified divers;

reg set........................ $6 / day............... $30 / week
BCD............................ $6 / day............... $30 / week
wet suit....................... $6 / day............... $30 / week
weight......................... $3 / day............... $15 / week
tanks........................... $5 each................ $40 for 10

Let's say you did 5 dives on a weekend; $12 + $12 + $12 + $6 + $25 = $67 (+4% tax).

Let's say you did 10 dives in a week; $30 + $30 + $30 + $15 + 40 = $145 (+ tax).

Even if you need everything;

mask/snorkel................. $6 / day............... $30 / week
full foot fins................... $3 / day............... $15 / week

Weekend 5 dives = $85 (+ tax).

Week 10 dives = $190 (+ tax).

Yes you could spend more;

dive computer................. $10 / day............. $50 / week
open heel fins.................. $5 / day.............. $20 / week
booties........................... $3 / day.............. $15 / week

So in my example the max price for 10 dives in a week = $260 (+ tax)

A full set of gear w/ 3 tanks for $300 is a very rare score. :coffee:

That's cheap. Even by Florida standards. If I go to Maui, I'll rent.

I have since found e-bay a wonderful place to get top dollar for my used stuff.

Pete is right, but it is of the regional variety. Dive gear in Central Florida probably costs less than most other locations. I bought a BC in Longwood, FL and sold it on eBay a year later for more than I paid. My Oceanic regulator sold for $24 less than I paid for it. Why get it serviced? Sell it and buy a new one, cheap.

Pete is right, but it is of the regional variety. Dive gear in Central Florida probably costs less than most other locations. I bought a BC in Longwood, FL and sold it on eBay a year later for more than I paid. My Oceanic regulator sold for $24 less than I paid for it. Why get it serviced? Sell it and buy a new one, cheap.

There are good buys and bad buys on ebay. The shopper needs to do the work to determine which is which. If doing such work or any other work associated with a purchase is "more trouble than it is worth", then stick with the new gear from full service, reputable dealers who can meet your needs - and pay their prices. If everyone took advantage of the potential savings with good used gear, the savings potential would dwindle.

There are good buys and bad buys on ebay. The shopper needs to do the work to determine which is which. If doing such work or any other work associated with a purchase is "more trouble than it is worth", then stick with the new gear from full service, reputable dealers who can meet your needs - and pay their prices. If everyone took advantage of the potential savings with good used gear, the savings potential would dwindle.

1+.

I've paid $100 on ebay for lightly-used regs that retailed for $800+, and $65 for a reg that retailed for $450..... but I've also watched auctions on used regs, computers and BC's climb right past the price can buy the same item brand new from Scubatoys. :idk:

As more divers "discover" ebay, the savings will indeed dwindle; but they are still there if you are patient (and a little lucky.... I got a near-mint Scubapro R-109 Adjustable 2nd stage for $15 plus $5 shipping :wink: ).

Best wishes.

I bought some gear new, some used.

How well a particular type of gear lasts was one consideration in choosing new vs used. Steel tanks wear well, so I bought mine used, after it was visualed.

The kind of diving I do also influenced my choices. Cold water regs were a priority, so I bought a set of Blizzards, new.

Also, I chose to buy some things used because just because I found an excellent deal on them. I was kind of interested in a back inflate BC, but not interested enough to pay full price. Then when I stumbled across Seaquest Balance, used, in very good condition for $79, I was sold.

Well, a quick look through this thread reveals that most divers suggest buy used. I have to agree with that, but I've only been diving since 1973, so I may not have enough experience. I just went and checked all of the new gear I ever bought and you know what? It turned into used gear after the first dive.....funny how that happens.

Buying a used regulator can save you lots of money. But, bring a tank and be prepared to do a few test on it. See this link http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/regulators/346813-regulator-inspection-checklist-rev-7-a.html for a few helpful hints. If inspecting a regulator is not your cup of tea but you still want to buy used, I suggest you send DA Aquamaster http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/members/da+aquamaster.html or Bluewaterdiving http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/members/bluewaterdiving.html here on Scuba Board a PM, tell them the type of diving you will be doing and I'm sure they can get you sorted.

Couv

I buy 95% of all my gear used......Avon rover dive boat used $800 if new $3,000, dive compressor $1,750 completly remaned if new $3,666 then add shipping, Zeagle ranger BC (10 dives on it) came with all the paperwork $261 shipped if new $675 then add shipping scubapro air2 Came with it. 5 al80cf tanks $40 each if new $175each, Posidon 1st & 2st used $171 shipped if new up to a $1,000 So on and so forth......I do buy wet siuts new (I would rather be the only one to pee in them) both of my compters are used as is my other gauges and compass, lift bags and reels. I have the manuals to do all my own work on all of my gear and do my tank viz (I get them hidro every 5years) If I would have had to pay full pop for all this stuff I'd still be at the mracy of the dive shops......now I'm a free man!

I sold all my gear thinking I was to old fat and lazy to dive anymore. About a year later I realized that I really missed it and bought used bc, regs, fins, tanks, boots,( that didn't fit ) a wetsuit (that didn't fit) and a dive bag. It is better gear than I sold so it worked for me. I then bought a new wetsuit locally, a new mask, snorkel, used knives, and lights. The only caveat I would offer as others have is to have all the stuff, new and used checked before you dive with it. New gear has bugs sometimes, too and 60 + feet is not the place to find out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom