Used Bauer Oceanus vs brand new PE100 or Junior II

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

estresao

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi guys, first of all I'm very sorry for the span (you can find another related post in this category). I'm trying to take a decision and I'm trying to get as much information, recommendations and opinions as I can before to invest a lot of time travelling to the seller home town and to take a more informed decision.

I would like to buy a compressor for personal usage, which will be installed in my house's basement (semi basement.. it got windows) using single phase electric power. My plan is filling my own tanks which more of them will be 12x2 steels doubles and deco stage (S80) and will use nitro sticks for mixing.

I live in Spain and have already narrow up to Bauer. Interestingly most of the stores here offer Coltry and very very few of them offer Bauer... don't know the reason.

I'm have two options, and here is were I'm not sure which path to take:

1) Brand new Bauer PE 100 or probably Junior II if get a reasonable price.
2) Used Bauer Oceanus, made on 2017, with around 500h including several spare original filters at roughly same price than option 1.

I think Oceanus is far better one, but with a brand new one I'll have 2 years warranty.

What you think?

See below a video of the used one.

It depends on how much you plan to use the compressor and how important the fill time is.

The Oceanus has a pressurised lubrication system and is slightly more heavy duty than the Junior/PE100. If you plan to fill multiple cylinders back-to-back, the Oceanus will be more reliable. It will also fill cylinders faster as it has an extra 40% capacity.

If you only plan to fill a couple of cylinders here and there, and are not concerned about the 40% faster fill, buy a new compressor and take advantage of the two year warranty.

How much does a new Junior/PE100 cost in Spain?

lIt depends on how much you plan to use the compressor and how important the fill time is.

The Oceanus has a pressurised lubrication system and is slightly more heavy duty than the Junior/PE100. If you plan to fill multiple cylinders back-to-back, the Oceanus will be more reliable. It will also fill cylinders faster as it has an extra 40% capacity.

If you only plan to fill a couple of cylinders here and there, and are not concerned about the 40% faster fill, buy a new compressor and take advantage of the two year warranty.

How much does a new Junior/PE100 cost in Spain?
For some reason I unknow it's very dificult to find Bauer compressor listed in webs of most popular Spaniard (European?) stores. Found only one offering the PE 100 for around 3600€ and only one Duch which offers Junior II for around 4500€. (you can find Coltri everywhere).
I've asked my usual provider for prices but still waiting.

The 2nd hand Oceanus is for 3500€

Finally I've took a decision today and I'll go for the Bauer PE100 single-phase. It will be a little slower than the Oceanus but:
- It will be brand new and got 2 years garanty.
- Consumption is 2.2w vs 3.0 which will make my life easier (mostly in the rare case I want to use it in my RV (motorhome) with some power supply.
- more portable
- etc....

Finally I've took a decision today and I'll go for the Bauer PE100 single-phase. It will be a little slower than the Oceanus but:
- It will be brand new and got 2 years garanty.
- Consumption is 2.2w vs 3.0 which will make my life easier (mostly in the rare case I want to use it in my RV (motorhome) with some power supply.
- more portable
- etc....

Hi! How is your experience going with the PE100? I am on the fence between this, Junior 2 and the Coltri MCH6, since Bauer setup in India is better and my knowledge about compressors is minimal, I am leaning towards the Bauer Junior II as it seems most famous here in India.

I only need to fill like 4 - 6 tanks every weekend at most. Might even be every few weeks for the first year or two.

My experience with a Bauer Junior II over the past 23 years. Michael McFadyen's Scuba Diving Web Site

By the way, power consumption is way more than the 2.2 kW claimed, more like 3.1 kW. If wanting to use remotely, I suggest petrol engine. This is also covered in my article.

My experience with a Bauer Junior II over the past 23 years. Michael McFadyen's Scuba Diving Web Site

By the way, power consumption is way more than the 2.2 kW claimed, more like 3.1 kW. If wanting to use remotely, I suggest petrol engine. This is also covered in my article.
You're right, when using my PE100 consumption goes over 3Kw.... I was thinks about the petrol generator for remote using but I'm not sure about the starting peak.... probably something "big" would be necessary because of that.

You're right, when using my PE100 consumption goes over 3Kw.... I was thinks about the petrol generator for remote using but I'm not sure about the starting peak.... probably something "big" would be necessary because of that.
We had trouble on a motor cruiser with a 5kw genset, it would not start it.

You might need to make a battery bank to start it

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom