Opinions on buying new vs. used equipment?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, I went ahead and purchased the new-in-box B2 I found earlier this week! I'm keeping my eye out for a decent used computer and a BC next.

photo-3.jpg

So I wrapped up my certification this weekend, it was an absolute blast! I can't believe I waited this long... I was able to dive in Devil's Den (underground spring) and in the Gulf off of Sarasota, FL for OW. Now I'm looking to begin collecting the equipment I need (ie: BC, reg, gauges/computer, etc).

What is your opinion on purchasing used equipment such as primary reg, bc, computer/gauges?

I've found a $300 new-in-box Atomic B2 reg that I'm probably going to pick up, however, I'm still on the fence to whether I should invest in all new equipment or previously owned?

Thoughts?

The Atomic B2 regulator is an excellent regulator.

I have had mine down to 137 feet (Hawaii) and it did not breath any different at that depth than it did at 50 feet.

My wife an I both own one and have not had any problems with the regulators whatsoever.

I have used it for New England down to a temperature of 48 degress and for Caribbean.

It should be mentioned that our regualtors are environmentally sealed which is more important for NEw England diving than in the Caribbean or Hawaii.

My point of view...I would not buy a used computer because of the warranty issue. When I was a brand new diver I bought all new gear and I am faithful to the routine service schedules. My dive shop offers lifetime warranty on parts for my reg and BC. That's their main selling point to me to keep me out of the online stores. They also beat the online prices by a small amount but I have to pay a huge 8.25% sales tax here. Some of the online stores are obligated to also look up local sales taxes and add them in...

Coming up on 4 years now I'm glad I bought new and I don't think I'll be replacing anything so as the years go on my annual cost decreases...

Next, my son and I are going on our first liveaboard for spring break next year. Back up computers are on the list. I'm looking at 2x Oceanic Atom 2 with transmitters. LDS price is $899.00 each plus tax. I look at it this way: If one of our computers craps out we're into renting on the boat @ $50/day not to mention the cost of this trip in $/dive if we miss any dives because of computer problems...

What? You think that the experienced divers I know rely on used gear? No, you simply have a different life experience or outlook than I have. That's OK as long as we don't mistake anecdotal evidence for reality.

So, what was the impetus of the gear sale? I'll bet that quite often someone ( a more experienced diver) buys some NEW gear and wants to get rid of the old. Like children in a family, the old stuff gets passed down to the youngsters. I'm sure that this is not the only paradigm for used equipment sales, but you have to admit that it happens.

Most of the experienced divers I know sit at or near the top of the "Gear Chain". They get new and get rid of the old. I like to sit at the top of the gear chain myself. :D

Anyone want to buy some used equipment? :D

If you eliminate those divers that get free samples and key-man pricing before considering your divers at the top of the gear chain then you may find the number that buy and trade used gear is much higher. Those that do get free or key-man pricing some much less incentive to consider quality used gear since they may be able to purchase new for early the same price.
Not that I'm knocking those that can qualify for such deals but the rest of use may need to be more realistic about the cost of our gear. After all sometimes it's a choice of new gear or another dive trip.:D

Actually IMHO the best option is for a new diver to rent different types of gear and deal with a shop that allows them to dive the gear before they purchase it. I am not sure it is honestly possible to know what is right for you until you have dived a bit. I used borrowed and rented gear before I purchased mine and I still didn't get some of it right!

My first purchase was my regs and computer setup. Yes they were new.. To maintain the warranty I have them serviced by a licensed technician according to manufacturer's directions (just like the car). As long as I do that the warranty is good for life.. yes they have replaced my computer after a glitch. I currently see no reason why I would need to replace them.

As I said before.. I would consider used gear under the right circumstances but it is not likely that it will be regs unless it is from someone I know well. It seems common for people in North America to service their own gear... but here is OZ that is very uncommon... I know a lot of very active divers and non of them service their own gear that I know of.

Maybe it really is just an individual mindset then. Along the lines of those who are DIY types versus those who are not. Renting and borrowing gear is probably the best option if it can be done cheaply, but even that becomes "too much" after just a few trips with rental gear. Personally, I chose to buy inexpensive used gear and dive that while I'm figuring out what works and doesn't work for me. In only 5 dives since my cert I would have spent more renting gear than I paid for my entire rig (including 3 tanks.)

Certainly that's not the right choice for every one, but it has been for me. Once a reg is serviced, I don't see much difference in them, personally. If it's been serviced and I've tested it in the pool, then I know it works and it doesn't matter if it's new or used...

Personally, I chose to buy inexpensive used gear and dive that while I'm figuring out what works and doesn't work for me. In only 5 dives since my cert I would have spent more renting gear than I paid for my entire rig (including 3 tanks.)

That's a high rental rate, but I agree with your point. Some folks will advise to rent for a year until you figure out what you want. That's a lot of money thrown away. If a new diver gets with more exprienced guys in their area and observes what works for them, they can't go yoo far wrong. I did that years ago and found out that the cheap gear worked just fine.

Have fun with it.

Which is an interesting point... DIY. There is a fair amount of building and modification that I put into my gear. As much as I dive, I would rather put that effort into new gear.

Which is an interesting point... DIY. There is a fair amount of building and modification that I put into my gear. As much as I dive, I would rather put that effort into new gear.

Some divers have to deal with $$$ being the limiting resource and don't have the option of deciding used is just more effort than it is worth.

Quite often, you are paying just as much for used as you do for new. There was a dive shop in Apopka Florida that listed the same used aluminum tank on E-Bay several times. It would invariably close at a price higher than they sold a new aluminum tank. They would contact the buyer and offer to send them a new tank at the same price and they were always happy with the offer. I have since found e-bay a wonderful place to get top dollar for my used stuff.

In only 5 dives since my cert I would have spent more renting gear than I paid for my entire rig (including 3 tanks.)

OK, I'm one of the committed dive gear cheapskates but your math seems questionable.

Let's just assume a diver has their own mask, snorkel, fins (booties?) and timing device.

The LDS I rent student gear from has the following prices for "walk-in" certified divers;

reg set........................ $6 / day............... $30 / week
BCD............................ $6 / day............... $30 / week
wet suit....................... $6 / day............... $30 / week
weight......................... $3 / day............... $15 / week
tanks........................... $5 each................ $40 for 10

Let's say you did 5 dives on a weekend; $12 + $12 + $12 + $6 + $25 = $67 (+4% tax).

Let's say you did 10 dives in a week; $30 + $30 + $30 + $15 + 40 = $145 (+ tax).

Even if you need everything;

mask/snorkel................. $6 / day............... $30 / week
full foot fins................... $3 / day............... $15 / week

Weekend 5 dives = $85 (+ tax).

Week 10 dives = $190 (+ tax).

Yes you could spend more;

dive computer................. $10 / day............. $50 / week
open heel fins.................. $5 / day.............. $20 / week
booties........................... $3 / day.............. $15 / week

So in my example the max price for 10 dives in a week = $260 (+ tax)

A full set of gear w/ 3 tanks for $300 is a very rare score. :coffee:

Back
Top Bottom