Online Master Diver Quiz

Good or Bad Quiz

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

7. A compressor operates on the principle of.....

Sorry, but no. It may demonstrate Boyles Law, but it does not operate on the principle of.
A compressor operates on more than one principle.

Archimedes - leverage and Boyles - compressed gas
I believe that one was a direct quote from the highlight on page 28: "A compressor operates on the principle of Boyle's Law -- pressure is increased by reducing volume." If we take this as a NAUI Master Scuba Diver quiz, we can't fault it for using the terminology used in the NAUI Master Scuba Diver text. (We can write to NAUI, I suppose.)

I believe that one was a direct quote from the highlight on page 28: "A compressor operates on the principle of Boyle's Law -- pressure is increased by reducing volume." If we take this as a NAUI Master Scuba Diver quiz, we can't fault it for using the terminology used in the NAUI Master Scuba Diver text. (We can write to NAUI, I suppose.)

They could rephrase it by asking, On what principle does a compressor convert ambient air to a high pressure gas and determines the heat generated. :wink:

Sorry, I don't have a NAUI background, but if the NAUI book says it that way, it's wrong.

You guys are correct, this came out of a NAUI Master Diver workbook. I'm currently taking in all your input (which is exactly what I wanted!) and making revisions. I will post when Rev. 2 is out!

In addition to the other comments about poorly framed questions, I have the following comments:

Question 9: First, all barotrauma is a function of differential pressure. Sencond, although the question asks about common physiology, none of the answers have anything to do with physiology, only anatomy. I think this question needs a serious overhaul. Presumably you are asking 'Which pair of organs listed below are most susceptible to barotrauma?' so why don't you ask just that. The physiology/physics involved in barotrauma is expanding gas trapped inside a body cavity.

Question 24: This question is very flawed. Haldane never changed his 2:1 ratio. Subsequent work show that it was too liberal, and that there were, in fact, many different ratios, and that these ratios changed based on the compartment half-time in question, the duration of the dive, the depth of the dive, etc. I'm not sure how to fix this question without making it far too complex for this course, so I would scrap it entirely.

Question 28: There are many ways to describe hyberbaric chambers, and the most important question is not about diameter, but rather, how many people can fit in the chamber? Most of the time chambers are described simply as monoplace meaning that they only fit 1 person, or multiplace, meaning that they fit more than 1 person.

Question 30: From who's perspective are you talking? The last thing that the rescuer want the victim to jettison is fins, but often the last thing that the victims WANTS to jettison is their weight belt, and this is what leads to so many problems in the first place. This question needsd to be clarified.

On the whole, a nice idea, but most of the questions need work.

Cam

Revisions have been made! Keep the input coming.

Also sorry, but most of this test is based off of NAUI Master Diver materials, there is nothing in this test that isn't in the book.

Revisions have been made! Keep the input coming.

Also sorry, but most of this test is based off of NAUI Master Diver materials, there is nothing in this test that isn't in the book.

FWIW - the NAUI Master Diver class is a great class ... but the written exam sucks. One question on the test is blatantly wrong (do-si-do is a surface tow ... not something you use bring an unconscious diver to the surface). I sent a list of corrections/suggestions to Jed Livingstone four years ago, and never even got a response.

As you are seeing from the responses here, a lot of those questions are poorly worded, focus on arcane terminology, or emphasize bits of knowledge that have little real value to the diver.

I love the course ... I think it has a lot of "meat" to it ... I sincerely wish they'd rewrite the exam to make it worthy of the material that's presented in the class.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

FWIW - the NAUI Master Diver class is a great class ... but the written exam sucks. One question on the test is blatantly wrong (do-si-do is a surface tow ... not something you use bring an unconscious diver to the surface). I sent a list of corrections/suggestions to Jed Livingstone four years ago, and never even got a response.

As you are seeing from the responses here, a lot of those questions are poorly worded, focus on arcane terminology, or emphasize bits of knowledge that have little real value to the diver.

I love the course ... I think it has a lot of "meat" to it ... I sincerely wish they'd rewrite the exam to make it worthy of the material that's presented in the class.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I agree, I have noticed a bunch of the questions were crap as the were worded but I am a terrible test writer (which is strange because I am a Navy Instructor for my real job...), thats why I openly accept everyone elses input! There is def. tons of info in that book!

11. All regulators use both mechanical leverage and gas pressure.

24. I am not sure about this, but I don't think Haldane ever changed the ratio. It was always 2:1. The US Navy came up with the 1.58:1 ratio.

Incidentally, for anyone with the NAUI Master Scuba Diver text, the explanation of a "pilot valve regulator" is on page 13, with a diagram on page 14. It's easier seen than explained, so I'll refrain from attempting it... at least for now.

It is also in Vance Harlow's regulator book. The only regulator that I know of with a pilot valve is Poseidon.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom