Online Master Diver Quiz

Good or Bad Quiz

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm a new diver, just certified in Sept 2007. I know nothing about Dive Master and the course. I took the test. Scored 50%. I realized I failed but for a new open water diver taking a higher level test without benefit of higher level instruction and/or training, I thought I did at least ok.
I thought it was a good test. Gave me the opportunity to learn something I didn't already know.

Dive Master and Master Diver are two different things. This was the Master Diver quiz, that is the highest non-pro offering NAUI has and it can be a great class. Don't feel bad, I got a 72% and I'm a NAUI instructor, there were to many "Huh?" questions and answers for me to be able to pass the original version with only a couple minutes to look at it and decipher the meanings. That's how I knew he'd pretty much taken it straight from NAUI materials, their question style leaves some things to be desired.
Ber :lilbunny:

I'm a new diver, just certified in Sept 2007. I know nothing about Dive Master and the course. I took the test. Scored 50%. I realized I failed but for a new open water diver taking a higher level test without benefit of higher level instruction and/or training, I thought I did at least ok.
I thought it was a good test. Gave me the opportunity to learn something I didn't already know.

Wonderful! People are learning! Thats the goal, don't feel bad about the 50% my dad just got a 28% but he is a non-diver, so I let it slide!

Dive Master and Master Diver are two different things. This was the Master Diver quiz, that is the highest non-pro offering NAUI has and it can be a great class. Don't feel bad, I got a 72% and I'm a NAUI instructor, there were to many "Huh?" questions and answers for me to be able to pass the original version with only a couple minutes to look at it and decipher the meanings. That's how I knew he'd pretty much taken it straight from NAUI materials, their question style leaves some things to be desired.

If you can think of a better way to re-phrase any of the questions, lets have it!

If you can think of a better way to re-phrase any of the questions, lets have it!
I don't have much time to mess with it right now, my mom died unexpectedly Saturday and I'm only using the board as a stress break both at work and at Mom's. I'm pretty sure the rest of the gang will have you all fixed up before I get a chance to focus on something like that. It's a great tool and I wouldn't mind seeing you adapting the OW stuff too. Personally I think most of the AOW book is worthless so I use the Master Diver text in my advanced classes. FYI the "old" AOW book is almost word for word the current Master Diver book, the chapters are rearranged but it's the same stuff. How about something for NAUI Training Assistant?

I don't have much time to mess with it right now, my mom died unexpectedly Saturday and I'm only using the board as a stress break both at work and at Mom's. I'm pretty sure the rest of the gang will have you all fixed up before I get a chance to focus on something like that. It's a great tool and I wouldn't mind seeing you adapting the OW stuff too. Personally I think most of the AOW book is worthless so I use the Master Diver text in my advanced classes. FYI the "old" AOW book is almost word for word the current Master Diver book, the chapters are rearranged but it's the same stuff. How about something for NAUI Training Assistant?

So sorry about your mother, best wishes to you and your family.

My goal is to have all kinds of tests from OW -> Instructor, and all the good stuff in between. I just need to get back home to my books!

You guys are correct, this came out of a NAUI Master Diver workbook. I'm currently taking in all your input (which is exactly what I wanted!) and making revisions. I will post when Rev. 2 is out!

Which is probably a copyrighted work - use caution. (Especially when the copyrighted work is wrong.)

As the person who designed the the original NAUI Master Diver Course, and who wrote it's Standards as well as the original exam, I want, first of all to commend your effort, I think this is a great idea.

But it is my feeling that this exam is WAY too easy both in depth and breath. I suggest 100 questions, covering the entire body of knowledge (except for teaching) that you'd expect to have a NAUI Instructor be conversant with. That was the intent of the course. It should be aimed at having a NAUI Instructor just squeak across the pass line, the rest is top that can let folks shine.

Isn't the real answer to the haldane question something like.

Haldan realised that it was possibly to stay a long time at 10 m and go to surface without getting bent. He calculated a ratio of the pressure at 10m and the surface, i.e. 2/1. He also conluded that this ratio was independent of depth.

It was later realised that the only important gas tension is from nitrogen and the ppN2 at 10 m is 1.58 and 1.58/ambient pressure at the surface is 1.58.

Later result have shown that Haldane was to liberal but I dont believe that it is a connection with the 1.58 ratio.

Haldane thought

(max gas tension for all gases (=ambient pressure the diver have been on))=2*ambient pressure (a constant ratio)

It was later discovered that only nitrogen mattered and we got

(max gas tension nitrogen)=1.58*ambient pressure,

which is equivalent with the first one. Edit: Atleast for saturation diving I think or if you simply divide the nitrogen tension with 0.79.

Then did Workman and Bulmann come to the following equation for each tissue.

(max gas tension nitrogen)=x*ambient pressure+y

i.e. the ratio depends on depth.

I also believe that they generally got more conservative results compared to Haldane.

edit: The question dont make much sense anyway because we dont talk about ratios anymore but M-vlaues and those are not ratios. They also depend on the compartment. The maximum depth it is always "safe" to surface from is dependent on which M-values is used but is for example 6.1 m for Buhlmann ZH-L 16 and 6.8 m for DSAT if you use air. This is from very very long dives though... edit: I did a mistake in my calculations before. I hope it is correct now...

Re: Q31 - Maybe you need to tell GUE they're teaching the wrong emergency signal.

I am, in fact, a NAUI Master Scuba diver and I only got 70%. But that was because I had to take a wild guess at the Imperial measures, all of which I got wrong. So I'm satisfied I passed really, so either the test is a good one or I'm stupid.

Back
Top Bottom