Online Master Diver Quiz

Good or Bad Quiz

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FWIW - the NAUI Master Diver class is a great class ... but the written exam sucks. One question on the test is blatantly wrong (do-si-do is a surface tow ... not something you use bring an unconscious diver to the surface). I sent a list of corrections/suggestions to Jed Livingstone four years ago, and never even got a response.

As you are seeing from the responses here, a lot of those questions are poorly worded, focus on arcane terminology, or emphasize bits of knowledge that have little real value to the diver.

I love the course ... I think it has a lot of "meat" to it ... I sincerely wish they'd rewrite the exam to make it worthy of the material that's presented in the class.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

As someone who took Master Scuba Diver a year ago, I couldn't agree more; the exam seemed to avoid useful and important information given in the excellent material in the NAUI Master Scuba diver course book (which I still often refer to) and seemed to be designed for those with a love for trivia.

BTW could we name it something else. It's sounds way to close to Master Diver in the navy.

While working on the website for the shop I work for, I saw the SCUBA quiz thread and decided I would integrate something like that into our website, in this case though its a Master Diver quiz, 37 questions I think. Let me know what you guys think.
I really like the idea! It was challenging in some ways, and stimulated some additional reading in others. Three comments at this point: 1. I wonder about the widespread relevance of questions about 'ground tackle' and the capacity of inflatables. Maybe that reflects my lack of 'boating' orientation in diving. 2. Double check the spelling of 'immediately' throughout. 3. Is the light signal for distress a movement up and down (vertical), or side to side (horizontal)?

I really like the idea! It was challenging in some ways, and stimulated some additional reading in others. Three comments at this point: 1. I wonder about the widespread relevance of questions about 'ground tackle' and the capacity of inflatables. Maybe that reflects my lack of 'boating' orientation in diving. 2. Double check the spelling of 'immediately' throughout. 3. Is the light signal for distress a movement up and down (vertical), or side to side (horizontal)?

Yeah, I thought it was side to side. That's what we use on night dives.

Yeah, I thought it was side to side. That's what we use on night dives.
And, it may be that the particular wording of that answer - 'waving' you light left and right in front of you - is the key. But, if the question is intended to emphasize up and down, vs side to side, movement as being correct, then a. there may be two competing schools of thought, b. what I learned is no longer correct, or c. the answer is not correct.

Majority of quiz questions have been reformated, and I ditched a few questions that multiple people had a problem with (aka the light distress question), I'm going to add some new questions when I get home from work today, just wanted to keep you guys updated. I'm loving all the feedback!

Added new questions.

Maybe when you're done you can submit your questions to NAUI and suggest someone take a look at the feedback in this thread.

I think Master Diver is NAUI's best course ... I'd LOVE to see an exam that tests meaningful knowledge, rather than the student's ability to memorize selected passages and trivia from the student handbook ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Maybe when you're done you can submit your questions to NAUI and suggest someone take a look at the feedback in this thread.

I think Master Diver is NAUI's best course ... I'd LOVE to see an exam that tests meaningful knowledge, rather than the student's ability to memorize selected passages and trivia from the student handbook ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

So heres a question... the third bullet in the NAUI credo in my Standards and Policies manual states

"NAUI Instructors are qualified professional educators who are granted academic freedom to teach diving in any reasonable manner as long as NAUI standards and policies are met. NAUI does not have a rigid approach to teaching diving. NAUI training support materials are designed for flexibility in teaching."

Reading this it is my interpretation that a NAUI instructor could write his own test, as long as it met the minimum standards set forth from NAUI.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom