On my way to Coz

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

6-1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
On my way to Coz and Hotel Cozumel. Any updates that I could use? I have heard the skeeters are worse than usuall, is bug spray enough? Any recommendations for Taxi vs van from the airport. I've done the bag drag to the street outside of the airport before, but I've heard it is a longer walk now? Any Recommendations from savvy scuba boarders?

Skeeters are here - DEET or Autan cream (available locally) highly recommended.
Another vote for the shared van from the airport.

yeah, the shared van is easier.

mosquitos last week were brutal!!! We sprayed and still got some bites. The resort (Scuba Club) had a guy spraying nightly which seemed to help somewhat - less mosquitos later in week - but everyone got bit. Take DEET to use around sunset and dawn when they are the worst. We used our Cactus Juice the first couple of days and mosquitos would land on your arm right after applying! I think they thought it was marinade. :wink: Even the DEET wasn't completely discouraging them.

1) Another vote for take the VAN....
2) Spray/apply repellent on clothing and/or around table and chair legs at dinner.
3) Have a GREAT TIME !!

Sue

Just returned from Cozumel, stayed in Hotel Cozumel. I got four bug bites but was from the day we spent diving the cenotes.

Take the shared shuttle/vans from the airport. After you've collected your checked luggage and cleared customs/immigration, come out through the double glass sliding doors, turn right, walk to the last stall stand on the left and buy a ticket for the vans. It's about USD$7. All the other stalls will try to sell you a tour package of activities.

Hotel food was adequate if pressed for time in between dives otherwise the local restaurants are a much better option. Hotel gift shop does not allow charges to the room, must pay with cash or a credit card.

Have a great time, safe travels to and from.

Sorry to Ask another question in you thread but while on the topic of getting to your hotel what about staying at the Palace? is it better to try to get a taxi or a shared van, as my understanding is its pretty close to the airport.

Sorry to Ask another question in you thread but while on the topic of getting to your hotel what about staying at the Palace? is it better to try to get a taxi or a shared van, as my understanding is its pretty close to the airport.

It is not that close to the airport....either way is fine....going out to the street with all your luggage to get a taxi is not my idea of a vacation....go in the van you will be one of the first persons to get dropped off since the Palace is nearer to the airport:wink:

Again, buy the ticket for the van. It really is not that expensive to Cozumel Palace which is south of the plaza and not quite out of town. However, as posted, and I can't believe I forgot to mention this earlier, be prepared to avoid the timeshare folks as you exit the red light/green light baggage inspection area upon arrival. That is unless you do want to explore a timeshare offer. Once you go through the magic sliding doors, immediately make a diagonal beeline to your far right. There you will find the "TICKET" booth. The other booths are timeshare reps who will be happy to set you up with a free ride in exchange for a timeshare presentation. Just remember , polite but definite "NO THANKYOU's/Gracias's" should get you past the gauntlet. Otherwise, just put your head down, don't make eye contact and walk briskly !

I got a taxi as soon as I got to the circle at the airport exit when I was there in April. I prefer the non-stop 15 minute ride to the hotel.

Back
Top Bottom