Taxi From Airport

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It was an empty threat. Fine, call them. I'll wait. Or pay the extra couple of bucks and get on with my life.
Yep, exactly. I knew it was an empty threat.
Maybe I would have picked up the 200 pesos he threw back at me, shrugged, and walked away. :D
Nah, he drove the cab, so the 200 was fair.
I assume that this happened at the end of the trip when you didn't have as much leverage as you would have had at the beginning.
Yes, at the marina. On the other hand, I had leverage in that I was already at my destination, not waiting for a cab [sometimes very scarce] to drive by Hotel B.

If he had asked for 250 at the beginning, I might have agreed, or settled for 220ish.

Yes, at the marina. On the other hand, I had leverage in that I was already at my destination, not waiting for a cab [sometimes very scarce] to drive by Hotel B.
Of course before the cab ride the taxista would be more inclined to give you the correct fare since you can just walk away and give him nothing, but if cabs are that hard to get up there and you are in a hurry, maybe not. The difference was what, about three bucks? All in, I believe I would have given him the 50 pesos, pointed at the number on the cab door, called it out to him, and said "no mas". To me, three bucks isn't worth getting into a mood spoiling argument right before a dive. YMMV, of course.

When my large-ish group is on the island, we use the same cab driver for most of our traveling. We have his cell number, and when we need to go somewhere we call him an hour or so in advance.

Do those airport shuttles pick up from the main hotels for return to the airport? Also what zone is Hotel Cozumel and Resort in?

I assume that this happened at the end of the trip when you didn't have as much leverage as you would have had at the beginning, but it was an empty threat. Fine, call them. I'll wait. Or pay the extra couple of bucks and get on with my life.

Maybe I would have picked up and pocketed the 200 pesos he threw back at me, shrugged, and walked away. :D

I'm still trying to picture how one throws a 200 peso note.

I'm still trying to picture how one throws a 200 peso note.
It can be done. Here's how: First, fold the note in half, then again, and finally do it one more time. You are now ready to throw a 200 peso note... after tying a rock to it.

Wrap it around a rock?

Where is the time for all this folding and wrapping in the seconds between handing it to them and walking away? Frankly, I can't picture a note of any denomination, once it touches the hands of a taxi driver, going anywhere other than his pocket.

Where is the time for all this folding and wrapping in the seconds between handing it to them and walking away? Frankly, I can't picture a note of any denomination, once it touches the hands of a taxi driver, going anywhere other than his pocket.
Fold it into a paper airplane or an origami swan and sail it on the wind? Chew it up into a spitball and launch it with a rubber band? :D

Any time you take a cab in CZM, ask the fare to your specific destination *before* you get in. And if you find an honest one, get a cell #. It’s like having a private limo to the marina at your disposal every morning.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom