Old steels denied fills due to store "policy"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So how can you rely on a shop to take care of your tanks when they suddenly inform you that they have a "policy" that forbids them from filling "old" tanks, BUT are unable to accurately give that "policy", and then later deny they ever had such a "policy"?

my steel twin 38's with original hydro dates of 1941 and 1942, respectively...one if them was manufactured pre- Pearl Harbor doesn't make 'em unfillable. :)

View attachment 570458
View attachment 570459

Scuba Lawyer, you've got mine by couple of years.
upload_2020-2-27_11-21-54.png

My term embarrassingly is a function of auto correct not noticed because of the influence of medical drugs for a tooth infection. Please mentally replace SLA for SLC while I hang my head in shame.

Applying arbitrary limits based on gut feeling is never helpful, you're correct. But those that do would logically draw a line past a date where the number of tanks above an age drop off in popularity

Equally cylinders are so in expensive that apart from sentimentality there is little justification in requiring that an old cylinder be allowed to continue in service. Keeping a cylinder for 20 years means its cost is roughly $20 per year (an unpopular view I'll accept)

And if I arbitrarily decide to junk 20-year old tanks and get new ones, I'm still paying the same money on the new tanks because they still need annual viz and hydro every five years. Trying to bring cost into it is a poor argument.

So how can you rely on a shop to take care of your tanks when they suddenly inform you that they have a "policy" that forbids them from filling "old" tanks, BUT are unable to accurately give that "policy", and then later deny they ever had such a "policy"?

Ever painted yourself in a corner? At a certain point you ignore the shoe prints and move on.

I picked out my two very best steel 72s and took them in today for Viz and Hydro. I will carry them with me to Florida this summer on my Heavy Steel Tour II, the Return, drive and dive trip. I will bring plenty of other tanks if these two are denied for fill. At least I will them for a couple of beach/kayak dives before reverting to (nearly new) Catalina 63s. N

And if I arbitrarily decide to junk 20-year old tanks and get new ones, I'm still paying the same money on the new tanks because they still need annual viz and hydro every five years. Trying to bring cost into it is a poor argument.

If you want to take that attitude, then justifying the ROI on a full set of your own gear + maintenance vs gear rental is also a poor argument.

I just highlighted options, and rational behind it. Personally I don't care if strangers can't get their old cylinders filled.

It only has two: the initial (7-43) and the last (10RW71+). It is interesting that is has a plus on the last hydro, yet not one on the initial.

Here is a pic of the other markings:
View attachment 570690

So you no longer use it? I thought that it was in service...dang!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom