Old steels denied fills due to store "policy"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nice policy.

My steel tanks are 3000psi

I agree with their first two rules,
third rule is absolutely asinine, bonkers, nutzo, crazy, and stupid.
Fortunately, it is a rule that doesn't currently impact me, but 72's are great little tanks, and the only reason I can think of to exclude them like this, would be a concern about epoxy or vinyl lining which has been damaged and passed vis but presents a danger. But if that's the case, they should say "we must verify presence of lining on steel 72s, which requires draining the tank for a service fee of $5. We can place a sticker on the tank to avoid this test on future fills."

I agree with their first two rules,
"

That's the thing I don't have to agree or even like a shop's policy. They can decide that people wearing a hat won't get fills for all I care.

What "to me" is unacceptable is that they have been taking my money filling those same tanks for however many months, most likely years (since Fill Express closed), and suddenly out of the blue one day they tell me it is their policy to not fill old tanks, but can't even tell me how old is the cut off .

Now I could have ignore the 2 guys working that Sunday if the "official" response was that policy quoted above, instead of asking me how old are my tanks.

I don't want to get into this again, I think 40+ pages on the subject is good enough.

So, that begs the question, would they fill a "+" rated steel 72? 2475 psi is above 2400 right?

Although I guess the fact that they said they will not fill steel 72 would override the "+" argument.

Although...technically it's not a 72, its a 71.2 at 2475 psi. Good to go!

The below answers why they would not fill my steel tank. It is a 72. However, it does not line up with what I was told. The fill person told me it was to old and could be made of bad alloy.

I love using 72s at the Blue Heron Bridge. In my opinion they are the perfect tank for that dive. They have plenty of air for the shallow depth and great buoyancy characteristics for the one hour dive window.

I will get my fills from a shop which will fill all my tanks.

I got the complete fill policy from Force-E headquarters. Here is the part relevant to this discussion:

All cylinders for fills must have a valid and current visual inspection sticker and hydrostatic inspection stamped into the tank. *Foreign Hydro’s are filled for export only.

Force-E will no longer fill 6351 alloy cylinders, or Luxfer older than 1989; nor will Force-E fill 72 cubic feet steel or steel with fill pressures below
2400.​

The fill person told me it was to old and could be made of bad alloy.

Hence the term tank monkey. Even more interesting is that he did not know the shop fill policy, yet had to make up a story that highlights his ignorance. It's the flip side of the coin of when I had to stop a fill at 3200# because the fill monkey thought my old 72 was a 3442# 100, because he never checked.

I guess I can understand a shop protecting itself and its employees. On the other hand, I hope this isn't a trend. I have collected a bit of a fleet of old low pressure steel tanks that I like. One is a Healthways 2150 psi tank that I think was born in 1962. I put a new XS Scuba tapered valve on it -- the valve cost more than the tank. I've dove it at least a few times every year in the 3 years I've had it, and it passed a new hydro in 2019. I had one person who did a visual tell me how great it looked inside. I haven't had any trouble getting it filled to its rated capacity. I think one of our local quarries maintains a fleet of rental LP72s, although I haven't rented there in a while. (That was how I first realized these were great for shallow cold water dives. Not a lot of air, but easy on the back and good buoyancy characteristics.)

I got the complete fill policy from Force-E headquarters. Here is the part relevant to this discussion:

All cylinders for fills must have a valid and current visual inspection sticker and hydrostatic inspection stamped into the tank. *Foreign Hydro’s are filled for export only.

Force-E will no longer fill 6351 alloy cylinders, or Luxfer older than 1989; nor will Force-E fill 72 cubic feet steel or steel with fill pressures below
2400.​

2400.​
I am happy to know now that they won't fill steel 72's and now won't make the mistake of going there. I have a number of 72's, all very clean in and out that sport "+" on their hydros. I also have a pair of steel 94.5's and these look much like a 72, were manufactured in the late 70's and are full at 3300psi with their plus. I wonder how they FEEL about those cylinders..?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom