Old steels denied fills due to store "policy"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The regulator appears to be installed upside down. The hoses should clock upward at 10 and 2, not down.

N

Hoses are in the correct position. The reg was this weekend for fun; it worked just fine. We tried out several rebuilt double hose regs along with j-valves on old ST72s, and backpack style harnesses. Even tried out the Voit blue plastic (forget what it was called) reg.

The regulator appears to be installed upside down. The hoses should clock upward at 10 and 2, not down.

N

I thought the same thing at first, but it appears to be an optical illusion. Looks like the hose is clocked upward in the pic. Of course, I have been wrong before, just ask my wife. :)

Hoses are in the correct position. The reg was this weekend for fun; it worked just fine. We tried out several rebuilt double hose regs along with j-valves on old ST72s, and backpack style harnesses. Even tried out the Voit blue plastic (forget what it was called) reg.

Okay, just looked like the far side was down and the near side at 9. Glad to hear you had fun playing with the DH regs and J valves.

Women (usually but not always exclusive to the fair sex) with their bicycle helmets on backwards, people trying to view through the mirror end of a reflector telescope and upside down twin hose regulators, lol, drives me nuts! :)

N

I thought the same thing at first, but it appears to be an optical illusion. Looks like the hose is clocked upward in the pic. Of course, I have been wrong before, just ask my wife. :)

It may have been the first stage was cocked to one side. People fiddle with (I have it out display) it thinking the kit with the double hoses and tank is a re-breather.

Not to hijack the thread, but the blue plastic double hose reg, mentioned above, was the Voit Fatham Cycolac:
20.jpg

I’v seen shops here have a policy stating they don’t fill steel tanks +20 years.
I can understand à client’s frustration.

Why do you think they do this? Is it they want to sell more tanks? Tanks last longer than regulators, steel tanks can last a lifetime.

Why do you think they do this? Is it they want to sell more tanks? Tanks last longer than regulators, steel tanks can last a lifetime.

If a store wants to fill pre-89 AL tanks, they need to VE them. That means equipment, training, etc etc. Depending on tester, tests are not that accurate anyway. Takes longer to visually inspect. Some stores don’t want the hassle. Can’t say that I blame them. (Coming from someone who’s done a LOT).

So how can you rely on a shop to take care of your tanks when they suddenly inform you that they have a "policy" that forbids them from filling "old" tanks, BUT are unable to accurately give that "policy", and then later deny they ever had such a "policy"?
When you wrote this two weeks ago, I had already sent an email to the company website contact number asking for an explanation so that I could post it on this thread. A few days later it had been a week with no reply, and I got an advertising message from them. (Yes, I am on their mailing list.) That message came from the same email address, and I replied to it with another request for an official explanation. I have still not gotten a reply.

I wanted a written response so people could take it with them to an individual shop with individual employees who may or may not be acting within company policy. Apparently I am not going to get it.

If anyone else would like to give it a shot, here is the address: info@force-e.com

If a store wants to fill pre-89 AL tanks, they need to VE them. That means equipment, training, etc etc.

The VE only applies to 6351 alloy AL tanks. Also Catalina never used the 6351 alloy, so any of their tanks do not need the VE.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom