Old steels denied fills due to store "policy"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The VE only applies to 6351 alloy AL tanks. Also Catalina never used the 6351 alloy, so any of their tanks do not need the VE.
And even Luxfer 6351 did not all change at once. You need to refer to a list of model and month/year to know for sure.

And even Luxfer 6351 did not all change at once. You need to refer to a list of model and month/year to know for sure.

No kidding. Thanks to you and @Bob DBF for the "help". After doing about 120 VEs in 2019, I fully understand why some dive shops don't want to do them. Giant PITA. And I still wince (albeit mildly) when filling them. Previous LDS with whom I worked wouldn't touch them and I could not blame them.

The VE only applies to 6351 alloy AL tanks. Also Catalina never used the 6351 alloy, so any of their tanks do not need the VE.

Not to mention the OP was regarding steel tanks, which as far as I'm aware have not had any age-related cutoffs validated by testing.

I'm sorry. Is the 5 or 10 pound argument? Is this the first time for this on SB? Some times you can be right but it makes no difference. 10 years ago I helped out at a store who would not fill tanks past 36%. No reason. He had 4 O2 banks but could not be persuaded. Want 50%? Go somewhere else. Just his shtick. Bantering to and fro aint gonna change any LDS from changing no matter how "right" you are. Or not.

If a store wants to fill pre-89 AL tanks, they need to VE them. That means equipment, training, etc etc. Depending on tester, tests are not that accurate anyway. Takes longer to visually inspect. Some stores don’t want the hassle. Can’t say that I blame them. (Coming from someone who’s done a LOT).

So what are you saying you have to get your tanks VE before you can get a fill?

My take is that filling older tanks safely to do it correctly requires knowledge, judgement, and extra testing that is difficult to come by, so that it is easier not to do it at all rather than risk doing it incorrectly. It’s like bringing a Jaguar to an auto shop. There are some that specialize in them, but most others won’t even work on them.

So what are you saying you have to get your tanks VE before you can get a fill?
Before every fill? No.
IIRC, DOT says every 5years with hydro is required; Luxfer said every 2.5 years. (They may have changed that.) In actual practice expect it to be done with annual visual inspection. I still fill those tanks, and I have no hesitation requiring annual VE on 6351 alloy. I am the one filling them...

It's a volume and time issue. (Not cu ft!). We have over 50 VE tanks alone in our rental fleet. We're not giving those away. So we do those and all customers that want them. Economics work out. It just takes longer to do the annual inspections. And more equipment. And more training. And some disappointed customers. Mind you - none have ever complained when their tanks fail. I totally understand why some stores don't want the hassle.

My take is that filling older tanks safely to do it correctly requires knowledge, judgement, and extra testing that is difficult to come by, so that it is easier not to do it at all rather than risk doing it incorrectly. It’s like bringing a Jaguar to an auto shop. There are some that specialize in them, but most others won’t even work on them.

When I bring in tanks that are all within hydro date, viz, and VE if necessary, I’d like to know what difference there is in filling the tank, other than service pressure.

For your Jaguar analogy, I’m not having it repaired, just getting gas.

Bob

When I bring in tanks that are all within hydro date, viz, and VE if necessary, I’d like to know what difference there is in filling the tank, other than service pressure.

For your Jaguar analogy, I’m not having it repaired, just getting gas.

Bob

I said it once before: “It just takes longer to do the annual inspections.”

Back
Top Bottom