Old regulator info needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ppd1107

Reaction score
I was helping a friend clean out his shop and we found two regulators. He has not been diving for several years. One is a Dacor XLE Pacer and the other is an Aqualung Conshelf XIV. Both are metal, silver in color, and look like UFOs. Any general info is requested. Also could these regulators be serviced and used today? Thanks in advance.

If you live in the Metro NY area, yes. Elsewhere, maybe not. I am not familiar with the AuqaLung Conshelf model. I think parts are available for that model. Check the AquaLung web site for a LDS near you and call them. Dacor (Mares) is not always shipping replacement parts for old Dacor equipment. A LDS in Portchester NY has Dacor parts and still services Dacor and AL. I have serviced my Dacor regs there this year while other shops turned me away. Good luck. - Tom

I have all parts in stock and can service your Conshelf XIV.

ppd1107:
I was helping a friend clean out his shop and we found two regulators. He has not been diving for several years. One is a Dacor XLE Pacer and the other is an Aqualung Conshelf XIV. Both are metal, silver in color, and look like UFOs. Any general info is requested. Also could these regulators be serviced and used today? Thanks in advance.

One of the reasons I ask is that they appear identical. At least they are very, very similar. Thanks again.

The Conshelf 14 first stage is a workhorse and the same basic design is still in production with only a few refinements. Parts are readily available, they are easy to service and are good performers.

The Conshelf 14 second stage was also a fairly evolutionary design. In many cases the primary difference between many US Divers second stages was limited to the sticker stuck on the purge button and little else. The later Conshelf second stages have a plastic case but share many of the same basic internal parts. The soft seat, retaining nut and other parts that need to be replaced on a regular basis are still produced and are in any event pretty generic as well.

The Pacer XLE refers to a metal second stage. These were well made and performed well. Again the critical parts such as the soft seat are fairly generic and can be found in nearly any dive shop. Some Dacor downstream design second stages use a slightly thicker soft seat and this can sometimes be problematic.

The first stage could be one of a few models but none are currently supported by Dacor so finding parts for it could be a challenge and would depend on a dealer having an old annual service kit in stock. At this point parts are not available for any of Dacor's numbered first stages (360, 600, 900, 950, 960, etc.) or for the Enduro first stage (although the Enduro has a lot of parts commonality with the Quantum for which parts are still available.)

Thanks for the replies. I guess I mistated myself. What we found were two second stages. Any advice for chosing a first stage for these two?

Either of them should work well on any first stage operating with an imtermediate pressure between 120 and 145 psi. They may require some tuning to the particular first stage, but that should occur as part of the annual service procedure anyway.

They also make really good octos as the metal face plate has only small holes in it and the purge button has a fairly solid spring underneath it. This makes them pretty resistant to freeflowing in a current or on entering the water.

I would avoid any older Dacor first stage as parts are not available.

US Divers Conshelf 14 first stages can be found pretty frequently on e-bay for reasonable money. Since parts are available and they are generally durable, they are pretty low risk to buy sight unseen. The Conshelf 14 has enough LP ports to be useful (3) while the older Conshelf 12 is much more limited by having only 2 LP ports which makes it impossible to use a primary, octo and LP inflator at the same tiem unless you go with an integrated octo/inflator like the Air 2 or find one of those clunky looking adapters to add another port or two.

Thanks again for all the help.

Yeah the conshelf is not a bad breather but won't help your cosmetic appeal when you are on the boat using it as an octo with a plastic thing on your primary. But it does work well in warm or cold water. Clean it up first and maybe flip the seat.

Back
Top Bottom