Octo on bungeed necklace?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

simmonsjr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I've seen several people recommend a setup where you place your octo on a bungee around your neck. What is the purpose of this? Is it just to corral the octo? Do you make the necklace yourself or is it available somewhere (I did a cursory search but didn't find anything)? Also how would you recommend setting everything (primary, secondary, ect) up in this configuration and why? Thanks.

Jason

I've seen several people recommend a setup where you place your octo on a bungee around your neck. What is the purpose of this? Is it just to corral the octo? Do you make the necklace yourself or is it available somewhere (I did a cursory search but didn't find anything)? Also how would you recommend setting everything (primary, secondary, ect) up in this configuration and why? Thanks.

Jason

You can make it yourself or: Manta Regulator/Octo Necklace Reg Necklace/RED with reviews at scuba.com

Easy to find and deploy. In the triangle.

wow, *lots* of info here on this, but here's a summary...

the primary second stage in this configuration goes on a longer hose, 5 to 7 feet. it comes around & down your right side either under your arm (5 ft) or tucked into your belt or under your canister light (7ft) then across your chest, behind your neck, and into your mouth.

the secondary second stage is on a short hose, just long enough for you to turn your head comfortably with it in your mouth. this is bungeed with a necklace that holds it at your neck slightly below your chin. you can make your own with fisherman's knots or they do sell commercial things that are for the same purpose.

then, if someone goes out of gas, *they* get the long hose with the reg from your mouth. *you* go on the bungeed backup. *they* are far enough away from you for both of you to exit single file, for instance from a cave or wreck.

the point of it is part of the DIR philosophy, check out their training and see if it works for you or not.

The basics of the setup is that you keep the octo close at hand on a short hose and your primary on a long hose routed around your body and the around your head, if your buddy needs the air, you hand off the primary and you switch to your octo.

there are problems with it, but with proper training and practice it works well for some people, but as with all things new, you must practice this procedure regularly as so many people switch to this and when needed they panic and try to hand off their octo anyway and their buddy really goes into panic. PLEASE, don't read this as me condemning the practice, just that you have to practice it so that your instinct is to hand off the primary and like so many emergency procedures please don't practice them enough to really be proficient.

Bungeed necklace is most used with a donate-able primary regulator set-up. The diver donates his primary hose, and then retrieves the back-up for himself.

The most popular of these set-ups originates from the cave diving community and is part of the Hogarthian gear configuration. This is a 7' primary hose (some people use 5' for OW) and a 22'-24' hose for the necklace.

Additional instructions on bungeed back-up.

See the Hogarthian sub-forum or the DIR sub-forum for more information.

Manta and Highland offer manufactured bungees. The purpose of the bungeed backup is to keep a regulator close at hand, in a fixed position, enabling diver to donate primary which is generally on a longer hose. The primary is the reg that an out-of-air diver is likely to see first, and to grab. For recreational open water, single tank diving I use a 5 1/2' hose on the primary, found the 5' to be too short.

there are problems with it, but with proper training and practice it works well for some people, but as with all things new, you must practice this procedure regularly as so many people switch to this and when needed they panic and try to hand off their octo anyway and their buddy really goes into panic.

"there are problems with it, but...it works well for some people"

:confused:

I've never ever heard of anyone trying to hand off their backup, yet you're suggesting that "so many people" do this? If that was the case you'd think I'd have heard mention of it at least once prior to your post here today.

Sure, you need to understand what you're supposed to do before you do it, but it ain't that hard.

Hell, even I figured it out right off the bat!

:D

Since there's discussion of usage, here's the Essentials S-Drill video that shows deployment of long hose and using the bungeed back-up.

SORRY, contrarian here. 1.) I would never put ANYTHING around my neck. My octo is an SS1 safetly tucked away on my left side. I would donate my primary to my buddy. 2.) This new way of wrapping around one's body all that hose for an OAE to me seems silly and wrong. I have now gotten into streamlining by entire profile while underwater so to have six feet of hose around my torso is very odd. Do what seems correct for you.!

Back
Top Bottom