Regulator hose routing for primary/secondary?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nemrod

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
I have probably been doing it wrong (and I do adhere to Hogarthian rigging or mostly so). The problem I am encountering is that the short hose secondary which is on a 22/24 inch hose and over my shoulder seems to get pushed to the left. I have the secondary on the most forward port, just the opposite of below (where the yellow octo is I have my primary and where the blue primary is I have my secondary). This question is for a single tank (open water) rigging and yes I am turret up where applicable (Mk 5/10/20/25).

Here is my usual open water rig, my most used other rig is an Oxy soft plate and 18/30 wing, same set up otherwise:

My primary is on, dependent upon which regulator set I am using and for what purpose, a 36 or 40/60/72 inches hose and all hoses are either braided or rubber. I use braided for travel, rubber for local (local being anything I can drive my truck to vs flying). So then, for the Hog view, are the photos above correct, or is it preference?

Would flipping the primary and secondary hoses likely stop my secondary from getting pushed to the left side? In the photo below it looks centered but I had just pulled it there for the photo. I could probably shorten up the bungee necklace as well? or perhaps my secondary hose selection is just too long for my single tank rigs?

I could have asked in the regulator section but I do not want personal preference answers, give me the brutal Hog answer please. Thanks for thoughts, bashing welcomed also :wink:.

James

I'd go with your "upright single" configuration, i.e., the octo from the rearward port. That seems to minimize the "push to the left" issue with the octo. Why does it make a difference -- for these purposes -- if the first stage is turret or not?

Have you thought about angling the first and running the long hose out of the bottom port?

Attachments

• 278E54C3-AE52-44DC-A048-07EF1DFD9736.png
    278E54C3-AE52-44DC-A048-07EF1DFD9736.png
    510 KB · Views: 113
I'd go with your "upright single" configuration, i.e., the octo from the rearward port. That seems to minimize the "push to the left" issue with the octo. Why does it make a difference -- for these purposes -- if the first stage is turret or not?
I do not think it does, just being complete in the info provided. Thanks for your answer, I think I will flip them all (I have quite a few) :wink:.

Why have I been doing it this way? Well, not sure exactly, in 1980 I took the NAUI AI program and had just bought a new regulator set (to comply with the program) and remembering back twin seconds were just becoming universal and my instructor set my new reg up that way, octo on the forward right port, and it has been that way since. And I was certified in 1968 and in between had always used a single second stage and buddy breathing so then where to put the secondary/octo had not been an issue.

And now I want the Hog answer if there is one.

James

Have you thought about angling the first and running the long hose out of the bottom port?

Yes sir, that is a good point but I am OCD about having all of my gear set up the same way and several of my regs do not have a top port on the turret and my new Mark 17 Evo does not either. But yes, thank you, that is something to consider, OCD aside, on my Mark 10 and Mark 20 G250 sets that do have the end port.

I just broke out my last two brand spanking new Mark V type first stages, installed new cave seats and shimmed them to 130 psi IP. They do not have the end port :(. One is running nice twin G250s and the other a Jetstream and R190.

James

Interesting. That kind of makes sense why a port on the bottom. Would the bottom port then face up with this configuration?

Interesting. That kind of makes sense why a port on the bottom. Would the bottom port then face up with this configuration?
The use of the bottom port in this fashion negated the need for the swivel to face upwards

It looks like that SPG hose could be a lot shorter too(or removed entirely since you have an AI computer).
No, I do not use AI (as it is not really Hog) and I do not need to be flooded with data I have no use for. My computers are not AI. I recently bought and installed (6) new 30 inch SPG hoes to replace 24 and 26 inch hoses. The reason being that I cannot see them as well as I could in earlier years. My new prescription mask helps but the 30 inch hoses are needed to get the spg up into my bifocal area and bifocal range. I do agree they are on the long side. I check my spg at step off to make sure the needle does not fall, again at the turn or halfway point and then again at beginning of ascent. I am not a gage minder :wink:.

Thanks for the the thought Ron, I agree, I just cannot see :).

I have decided to flip my second stage hoses. I have two new B&G spgs arriving tomorrow to replace one broken (tanks smashed it) and my new G260 wants a shiny new spg :wink:. So I will take that opportunity to flip my hoses and inspect my regs.

My truck engine exploded in Ft Lauderdale so poor me. Now I have to go back and dive some more when I go back to get my Toyota. Like my wife was thinking, you are coming straight back, right! Noooooo, wife person, going back down to retrieve my truck will require more diving to justify! Are you wonky or something? It is DIVE, DIVE, DIVE:)! And so I will try my newly flipped hoses out and see if that helps very soon. Thanks little Toyota for helping me justify more diving :). Of course I could have gone to the Red Sea for the money but so it goes.

James

There is this page, I am currently compliant with the "single tank configuration" save for my shifting to the 30 inch spg hose in place of 26 inch hoses. My BC inflator hoses are 22 inches.

I notice they are using the secondary on the forward port. I guess I just need to try and see what works best.

James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom