GUE Equipment Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not to hijack the thread, but what is the GUE/DIR logic behind no waistband weight pouches, other than tradition? I am a big fan of pouches I can tri-glide secure towards the backplate and out of the way, and the weight belt seems cumbersome and less elegant of a solution (my thought is, especially with long hoses and can lights, there is already a lot of stuff around the waist and extra webbing and buckles seems like clutter).

If one were to attend fundies, would they not be allowed to use the pouches?

Not to hijack the thread, but what is the GUE/DIR logic behind no waistband weight pouches, other than tradition? I am a big fan of pouches I can tri-glide secure towards the backplate and out of the way, and the weight belt seems cumbersome and less elegant of a solution (my thought is, especially with long hoses and can lights, there is already a lot of stuff around the waist and extra webbing and buckles seems like clutter).

Can't say I have experienced anyone saying "no waistband" weightpouches. Personally I prefer to keep my waistband clean, however I hate weightbelts with a vengeance, so my weighting is usually a combo of permanently bolted lead for the majority of the weight, and a pocket with 2kgs on my right hand side waistband. This also serves the function of keeping my heating cannister a bit further forward so I can reach the knob without twisting my arm too much. (I am lazy...) Light cannister if used is between heating cannister and extra beltbuckle to hold it all in place.

This gives me ( alittle bit) dumpable weight should I need it. (although with a bit of hassle, I always dive dry, so I have redundant buoyancy).

My experience is also that weight pouches usually only come in to play with single tanks. With doubles, one gets by with p-weights, v-weights and or a weightbelt with 2-4kgs on.

Never done fundy in single, so cant help with the rules there.
Maybe one of the resident GUE- instructors in here can give better advice?
@johnkendall maybe?

To OP: If you let us know where in the states you are, it is easier pointing you to an instructor that can guide you on your way. Also; Keep in mind that if you want to progress past fundies, then a drysuit is mandatory.

Regarding waist pockets, it’s interesting that the Halcyon ACB system has been getting smaller and more compact over the years, from 10# per side to 6#, and now 5#.

The important thing is that if you are diving a wetsuit, enough lead needs to be ditchable so you can be no more than 10ths negative on the bottom with a fully compressed wetsuit, but not so much that you are too light when you get to your shallow stops with a near empty tank when your wetsuit is uncompressed. Wetsuits thicker than 5mm make this really difficult, so a drysuit is recommended if you are too cold in a 5mm. Weightbelts work well because they don’t take up real estate on your waisteband impeding your ability to mount a primary light on your right hip.

Hey everyone,
I’ve been browsing through here doing my best to soak up some knowledge, but the keyword "GUE" is too short to be able to use in the search tool... I’ve been a vacation PADI diver for a few years, but have recently fallen in love with hyperbaric medicine and have decided to really step up my diving competence. Everything I have been reading tells me the next step is to buy the appropriate gear and get started in GUE fundamentals.

Unfortunately, I am new enough that going through the GUE equipment list is a bit confusing. Is anyone able to suggest newbie GUE equipment list, or dumb down the requirements? I don’t have a local GUE shop so I am not confident that they know my needs, and would prefer to not pay that premium if cheaper versions are available online. I will need to buy everything new, from mask, fins, to backplate, BCD, regulator, dive computer, etc. I am hoping this can be done for $1500?

My plan is to go on several week-long diving expeditions in the future throughout the. world, though I can't say I have plans for dry suit or cave stuff at this time.

I am open to all advice and suggestions, but will post a few specific questions as well:

Regulators: The price range on these is so wide, I don't know where to start. It also seems like I'll need the setup to do 2 tanks?

Backplate: I see different weights and configurations (1 vs 2 tank?) and don't know where to begin. I don't plan to dive my own tanks, so I'd like to be able to accomodate whatever tanks are most common in the U.S. and ideally worldwide.

Thank you all so much for taking the time to read this and welcoming me to the community.
Where are you located? There might be a local GUE community that could help get you pointed in the right direction.

If you're thinking about taking fundies soon, I'd talk to the instructor before buying any gear.

You can also save quite a bit of money buying some of your equipment used. I'd just be careful about buying used regulators, and older wings as they may require service.

When in doubt about whether a particular piece of equipment would be allowed in a GUE class it's always best to ask the instructor directly. As far as I know, weight pouches would be allowed unless they interfere with other required gear. I did try the Halcyon ACB weight pouches at one point but they don't really offer any advantages over a regular weight belt.

What do you have now?

If nothing, then start with these packages:

Exactly what I came here to ask, as I am looking at the DGX bp/w system. Thanks!

Thoughts on dry suit vs wet suit for GUE fundamentals? A few videos recommended dry suits bc of constant buoyancy and warmth over the length of dives, even in warm water. Anyone have an opinion on that? I'm willing to invest in the class, but I'm hesitant to drop $2k on a dry suit that I'm probably not going to use a lot, tbh.

Exactly what I came here to ask, as I am looking at the DGX bp/w system. Thanks!

Thoughts on dry suit vs wet suit for GUE fundamentals? A few videos recommended dry suits bc of constant buoyancy and warmth over the length of dives, even in warm water. Anyone have an opinion on that? I'm willing to invest in the class, but I'm hesitant to drop $2k on a dry suit that I'm probably not going to use a lot, tbh.
Just do it in a wetsuit; especially if that is what you dive most of the time.

What's your goal? If it's to improve your skills and you will be diving in a wetsuit after the course, then do the course in your wetsuit.

Back
Top Bottom