GUE Equipment Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Both of my fundies teammates did class in likely 7mm wetsuits with no issues other than being a little chilly between dives. If there's a local GUE community with a FB group, you might be able to snag a few things for cheaper than new like BP, harness, maybe a wing, regs. Around here someone's always selling or willing to sell something for a good price!

Exactly what I came here to ask, as I am looking at the DGX bp/w system. Thanks!

Thoughts on dry suit vs wet suit for GUE fundamentals? A few videos recommended dry suits bc of constant buoyancy and warmth over the length of dives, even in warm water. Anyone have an opinion on that? I'm willing to invest in the class, but I'm hesitant to drop $2k on a dry suit that I'm probably not going to use a lot, tbh.
Are you doing fundies to be able to take tech or cave training?

Yes, tech training
You’re probably going to want to be in a drysuit then for those tech dives. Might as well start getting use to it. I think you’ll find that once you have one you’ll use it a lot more often I don’t dive wet unless the water temp is over 80 and even then sometimes I wear it.

Yes, tech training
Are you in a hurry to get to tech or is that a future goal? If you want a tech pass in fundies you need to do the class with doubles and a can light. You might as well add in the dry suit to start getting used to it.

But that's a lot to handle at once if your profile is accurate. 50-100 dives and a "Master Diver" cert suggests not a lot of experience outside of classes. If I were in your shoes, I'd do the class in the configuration you are mostly like to use for the next couple of years and then work on your skills in those dives until they become automatic.

You don’t need to spend $2000+ for a drysuit. You can get a seaskin for one for half that.

I fully agree with the DGX packages. That’s what I bought and am very happy with everything. I just took rsingler’s regulator service course so now feel comfortable maintaining all my gear.

Like you, I am interested in the tech route and beginning my journey down that road.

Are you in a hurry to get to tech or is that a future goal? If you want a tech pass in fundies you need to do the class with doubles and a can light. You might as well add in the dry suit to start getting used to it.

But that's a lot to handle at once if your profile is accurate. 50-100 dives and a "Master Diver" cert suggests not a lot of experience outside of classes. If I were in your shoes, I'd do the class in the configuration you are mostly like to use for the next couple of years and then work on your skills in those dives until they become automatic.
Fair point, but I find myself back after a significant break, and buying all new gear. I'd like to go tech -and im pretty sure with GUE- so I might as well buy what I need with an eye towards fundamentals. But, I honestly don't get very cold and have never been interested in dry suit diving. Still, I glean that tech divers prefer dry suits, so I might get dry suit cert and get some dives in to get used to it. Would like to take fundamentals around 120-150 dives.

Frankly, just planning and trying to make purchases strategically right now. I appreciate the advice.

BTW, I didn't invent the "Master Diver" title, but scubaboards asked. Don't hate the player, hate the game🤷‍♂️😂

I would take fundamentals as soon as possible in your diving, and I’d do it in doubles with a can light. That way you’re able to learn all the skills you need to practice. Because most likely you’re going to end up with a provisional or Rec pass and will need to work with an instructor to do a tech upgrade. So learn the skills early and then find or create a group of other gue divers so you can work on the skills together to be successful with the tech upgrade and then later tech training

I would take fundamentals as soon as possible in your diving, and I’d do it in doubles with a can light. That way you’re able to learn all the skills you need to practice. Because most likely you’re going to end up with a provisional or Rec pass and will need to work with an instructor to do a tech upgrade. So learn the skills early and then find or create a group of other gue divers so you can work on the skills together to be successful with the tech upgrade and then later tech training
Kinda how I feel about it as well. I'd rather learn the skills and have them to work on than wait to begin practicing. All good if I need to retest later.

Fundamentals is basically a remedial course that teaches you what you should have learned from the start. I would take Fundamentals as soon as possible. Waiting to have 120-150 is just going to reinforce any bad habits you already have and create new bad habits. Therefore, do it as soon as possible to get the proper training and then you can practice correct technique learned in the course. Also, based on what I am reading I would recommend taking it in Rec. configuration. You are going to be bombarded with new skills etc. There is no need to complicate things even more with Doubles and a corded light for which you don't have any experience. Be aware, very few divers earn a Tech pass on the first time. I was told the rate is about 30%. Get your Rec. Pass, Dive, practice and get doubles experience and then do your Tech. upgrade. There is no rush; slow is smooth, smooth is fast...

Also, read Meredith Tanquay's course progression advice:

Back
Top Bottom