Octo for mk17?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great that I am from europe too and don't have to pay US prices. Still I think I could buy a first stage +1 G260 + 1 R195 cheaper than a first stage + 2 G260, as most shops have the first option available as a set and the discount I can get is the same for both options. But maybe your connections as an instructor are just better than mine. Anyhow I did not want to bring this discussion on the financial side of the descision.

I just wanted you all to underline your opinions with some more reasoning which turned out quite well. Thank you - great insights. I will probably try my R195 octo on deeper dives and in stronger currents in the future to have some more first hand experience on breathing quality vs the G260.
I also wanted to point out that stating that any other opinion than yours is stupid means that you think up to 99% of divers (who choose pre-configurated sets with 2 different 2nd stages) are stupid. As we have 34°C in Vienna today you must be melting down there in Italy, so there is no point in arguing with you. Thank you for explaining why you prefer to have 8 identical 2nd stages.

I am not going to say what you said is stupid but I'm going to say that you don't know what you're talking about here. What Angelo said is 💯% correct.

I mostly agree (even tho not my preference) with what you said but…

No one said that, the only close thing was when Angelo saying that for his situation it would be (given that he standardizes all the regs of the family) — that’s how I understood it

Sounded like stupid from a financial/setup/maintenance effort pov, and it makes sense to me and didn’t have an offensive implication to others

I think stupid isn’t something that applies to this conversation; it applies to doing truly risky things (maintaining/tuning without knowing implications eg. dropping lever height) or dive profile/gas plan ; that would truly put your (and others) life at risk and deserves the label stupid

But I’m glad we’re starting to converge a bit.
Do let is know how the 195 feels vs the 260— I’m interested actually
Well it is probably time to end the stupidity-discussion as it leads nowhere.
As my wife and I bought our G260/R195 sets 10 years ago when we had less than 20 dives and our LDS recommended them, I don't feel personally offended being called a "cheap" diver with stupid ideas. It was definitley a better decision than using rental gear. As a newby who recently bought it after recommendation from his LDS being called a "cheap" diver with stupid ideas could either make me feel offended or ripped off by the dive shop. However lets stop this part of the discussion here. I actually enjoyed the other Part of the discussion and thinking about the reasons you stated. Hope I was not to provocative (although I am still waiting for the explanations where all the "use only 2 identical reg"-divers hide on the boats I end up diving from 😉)
I find people using them to be "cheap" divers, who do not invest proper money for the safety of themself or their buddy. Saving 100 euros on a regulator? STUPID IDEA; sorry to repeat...

As to the comparison of the R195 vs G260: I already posted above I could not feel a difference using the R195 to depths down to 20m in Mexiko on drift dives. All other tests will have to wait a bit longer because going on the next dive trip with a 4 month old girl is not possible for us. Local diving that can be reached within 1 hour means lakes no deeper than 20m and no current. Also I'm not intending to spend the little bit of precious time I can have with her while she is so small diving a lake just to be diving, as there is not much to see . Hope we can do a few dives next year, but my wife and I will probably not be able to dive together for some years as one needs to stay on land babysitting.

Who knows, maybe in about 12 years when she hopefully wants to dive with us I will end up buying 6 identical 2nd stages 😁

I am not going to say what you said is stupid but I'm going to say that you don't know what you're talking about here. What Angelo said is 💯% correct.
I wonder what you think I am saying that I don't know talking about as I said a lot without saying much here. 😉
Probably you don't mean that you know where I could get a better deal on 2 G260 over 1 G260+ 1 R195 where I live.
Whatever it is I'm sure it is not worth to start the stupidity-discussion again. I recommend reading my posts again and then enlighten me on what I got so totally wrong

I wonder what you think I am saying that I don't know talking about as I said a lot without saying much here. 😉
Probably you don't mean that you know where I could get a better deal on 2 G260 over 1 G260+ 1 R195 where I live.
Whatever it is I'm sure it is not worth to start the stupidity-discussion again. I recommend reading my posts again and then enlighten me on what I got so totally wrong

Now I really don't understand what you are talking about here :)

Do you dive in Austria? How's the diving there, anything worth diving?

Now I really don't understand what you are talking about here :)

Do you dive in Austria? How's the diving there, anything worth diving?
Maybe I was getting a bit poetic here 😉

I did not do a lot of diving in Austria, my wife does not really like it and I like to spend my weekends with her. Also we spent almost all vacation time we have abroad and quite far away since we started diving in 2012.
But a lot of people love it and divers from countries around us like to come here because we have a lot of lakes, surrounded by nice landscapes like mountains and woods. The better the vis the colder it gets. The deeper the darker. But still nice when you like freshwater-diving.

My 1st time diving in Austria was before our trip to the Maldives in 2015 as we did not want to do a refresher there. We chose the warmest lake in Austria, like 3 hours drive from where we live. Warm was true for the first meter/3feet. It was a bit cooler down to 6 Meter/ 20ft, but still nice. Then we hit the thermocline, we were not wearing hoods and it got really cold like 13°C/55°F.
In 2016 we had a trip to Iceland scheduled and had the crazy idea of diving silfra which means water temperatures just above freezing, only diveable in dry suits. So altough not mandatory we decided to do a dry suit course before. We did it in a lake in the mountains (the dive shop there is the highest you can find here) with 12°C - a lot of Statues to look at and a lot of fish that was brought there by the dive center owners. It was actually quite nice (my wife still does not like dark and cold but enjoyed Silfra which is as cold as it can get so we never bought dry suits. She also enjoyed the cenotes in Mexiko later which is as dark as it can get...but obviously the combination is not ok 😅)
The 3rd time diving in Austria was in 2019 when I did not want to wait any longer for my next dive and thought it would be a good idea to find some other buddies for local diving. Went to the closest lake from where I live with kind of a dive club. Actually the lake is not to bad. A lot of stuff for divers, not many fish. But their way of diving was kind of special as they started dives with half filled tanks, just disappeared during the dive when the air was gone without telling anyone in the group, doing emergency ascends from 5m after taking the last sip of air from the tank...Do I need to tell more?
So I never tried to find some other buddies and also got a lot of projects like planning a house and building a garden in between me and my local diving plans... 😂

But their way of diving was kind of special as they started dives with half filled tanks, just disappeared during the dive when the air was gone without telling anyone in the group, doing emergency ascends from 5m after taking the last sip of air from the tank...Do I need to tell more?
what in the unholy lord of hell is that? the death wish club? yea no sh*t you ran for your life
I once strted a CCR dive with 2 sidemount tanks at 120bars each (I effectively need only 40 on each) and my instructor ripped me a new one; and my bouancy was no fun either during the post deco skill section (AL80s) -- never again

And yeah... cold here too; don't like it that much unlike my native redsea, but pools bottom out at 5 which is no fun
Still wanna dive Constanz and Stanbergersee; and your native Grünersee (the most stunning fresh water dive ever. -- in my opinon/pics I saw)
Servus :wink:

; and your native Grünersee (the most stunning fresh water dive ever. -- in my opinon/pics I saw)
Servus :wink:
Yes diving in Grünersee would be really great. Even my wife would do it in a wetsuit 😁 (but drysuit would be prefered). Unfortunately it is closed for diving since 2016 and will probably be closed forever. Some people (scientists or similar) got afraid that it could change its colour because of divers stirring up sediments and as it is environmentally protected or so the owner got afraid that he would be faced with huge liability claims in case anything happens...so no more diving.

You can look into Fernsteinsee and Samarangersee instead. After Grünersee they offer the best vis in Austria. You need to stay in the hotel that is next to them to be allowed to dive there but from what I heard it is worth it.

Yes diving in Grünersee would be really great. Even my wife would do it in a wetsuit 😁 (but drysuit would be prefered). Unfortunately it is closed for diving since 2016 and will probably be closed forever. Some people (scientists or similar) got afraid that it could change its colour because of divers stirring up sediments and as it is environmentally protected or so the owner got afraid that he would be faced with huge liability claims in case anything happens...so no more diving.

You can look into Fernsteinsee and Samarangersee instead. After Grünersee they offer the best vis in Austria. You need to stay in the hotel that is next to them to be allowed to dive there but from what I heard it is worth it.
oh I thought It needs a spcial permit not comletely closed -- that's a bit sad

I will look pu the other ones -- thanks for the tip

Well it is probably time to end the stupidity-discussion as it leads nowhere.
As my wife and I bought our G260/R195 sets 10 years ago when we had less than 20 dives and our LDS recommended them, I don't feel personally offended being called a "cheap" diver with stupid ideas. It was definitley a better decision than using rental gear. As a newby who recently bought it after recommendation from his LDS being called a "cheap" diver with stupid ideas could either make me feel offended or ripped off by the dive shop. However lets stop this part of the discussion here. I actually enjoyed the other Part of the discussion and thinking about the reasons you stated. Hope I was not to provocative (although I am still waiting for the explanations where all the "use only 2 identical reg"-divers hide on the boats I end up diving from 😉)

As to the comparison of the R195 vs G260: I already posted above I could not feel a difference using the R195 to depths down to 20m in Mexiko on drift dives. All other tests will have to wait a bit longer because going on the next dive trip with a 4 month old girl is not possible for us. Local diving that can be reached within 1 hour means lakes no deeper than 20m and no current. Also I'm not intending to spend the little bit of precious time I can have with her while she is so small diving a lake just to be diving, as there is not much to see . Hope we can do a few dives next year, but my wife and I will probably not be able to dive together for some years as one needs to stay on land babysitting.

Who knows, maybe in about 12 years when she hopefully wants to dive with us I will end up buying 6 identical 2nd stages 😁
Sorry of using potentially offensive words.
Not-native English speaker here...
in Italian "stupid" (referred to an action, not to a person) is NOT an offensive word, it simply means "illogical".
I never implied that doing a stupid action means that the person doing it is also stupid.
Very intelligent people sometimes make wrong choices and perform stupid actions, posing their life at risk.
I am a big champ of this, and in fact I closely risked my life in at least 6 or 7 occasions, doing very stupid things!
I even had two experiences of temporary death and revival, when I was training as deep free diver (which definitely was something for which I was not suitable).
I always felt that trying to saving money (on training, or equipment, or taking shortcuts) when doing a potentially dangerous activity, such as scuba diving (or motorbiking, or mountain climbing, or alpine skiing, etc.), is not a wise choice.
Money is less valuable than your life or your health.
Scubapro's motto says "deep down you want the best", and I entirely agree with this philosophy.
An R195 is NOT the best of their regulators, so I do not want it.

oh I thought It needs a spcial permit not comletely closed -- that's a bit sad

I will look pu the other ones -- thanks for the tip
Unfortunately completley closed since January 2016 to divers and swimmers/snorkelers. The permit had to be paid before that happened. We were really sad too. Thought after the dry suit course in 2016 we would got there. If we would have known this is about to happen we would have gone there in 2015 in wetsuits...

Back
Top Bottom