Octo for mk17?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a recently serviced R195 I can ship to you for $100, I believe it is 6 yrs old in great shape. I also suggest identical regulators but understand that if you are just diving warm water that may be overkill.

@Nightwatch how much of a „rush“ are you in? Do you have a dive trip planned soon?

If you are open to pairing up 2 similar seconds (some benefits are you can switch between them so you use both equally the same so they last longer, and the octo gives same quality as the primary; let alone the whole long hose thing)
Maybe you can wait for a g250 listing from @buddhasummer (or reach out directly); they tend to be the cleanest (amd freshly tuned), and would run you probably as much as a new r195 (just a guess)
Unlikely for a while until my next trip to Japan🙏🏻

For an octo, at this point, I'd go to somebody like the Deep 6 or DGX, maybe the HOG Edge octo.

My first reg set was an Atomic B2 and I spec'ed a second Atomic B2 as the octo. I thought it mattered greatly. Now my primary is either a G260 or Apeks XL4 off of an MK17/H50D and an Air2 as the octo for rec use. For my pony I have an MK17 or H50D paired to an XL4. But that's because I have a half dozen of the XL4s sitting unused NIB in addition to the few I use. The Atomic set is still there = I tell myself for the next GF I can get to go diving.

There are enough G250s around and easy enough to find. And the important parts for service will be around for a long time. It pains me to say it but the G250 based on my samples has a slightly easier breathing cycle primarily due to a subtle difference in exhaust effort.

The new white plastic orifice just does not cut into the seat. As to seat saver function, all regulators with an adjustment knob have something of a seat saver if adjusted to ever so slightly leak when turned fully out.

The new white plastic orifice just does not cut into the seat
How was your breathing experience with the derlin orifice compared to the metal one? I came across a few of these (g250s with plastic oriface) and I ordered some metal orifices to exchange them but Buddahs account says they’re fine
Maybe I keep the metal ones to change really banged up ones that can’t be dressed
(i think I should start a thread as I have a few overlapping orifice questions)

How was your breathing experience with the derlin orifice compared to the metal one? I came across a few of these (g250s with plastic oriface) and I ordered some metal orifices to exchange them but Buddahs account says they’re fine
Maybe I keep the metal ones to change really banged up ones that can’t be dressed
(i think I should start a thread as I have a few overlapping orifice questions)

The plastic orifices are fine. I find that I cannot set them to the finest edge like I can a good brass or steel or gold orifice but they hold tune much longer because they do not cut the seat. All in all, I am going to say they are an improvement. I have had no problems with durability.

I am going out on a limb a little bit here but I might say the plastic orifice negates the need for a seat saver function.

The plastic orifices are fine. I find that I cannot set them to the finest edge like I can a good brass or steel or gold orifice but they hold tune much longer because they do not cut the seat. All in all, I am going to say they are an improvement. I have had no problems with durability.

I am going out on a limb a little bit here but I might say the plastic orifice negates the need for a seat saver function.
Thanks
Shoulda ordered more plastic than metal orifices maybe..
Let’s see how it develops

Back
Top Bottom